Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya metallic blue paint acrylic

Well since you guys gave me such great info on how to fix my mistakes I'd like to stop a mistake before I make one so I have my primer down on this car that I plan on doing in metallic blue I was just wondering what's the best way to bring the color of the metallic blue out should I use a white primer or gray .should I put a base color down. first any ideas guys

I would use the White Primer on any color if you are trying to brighten the color. The Tamiya Blue can be used either way with Gray or White Primer. The color Pigment in the Blue is such that it really doesn't seem to make much of a difference in this case. My experience has been that the lighter colors respond more to the color of the Primer than the darker colors. I think the standard response to your question is to try a couple of plastic pick nick spoons before you ever paint your actual model no mater what color or brand of paint you are using. This will save you many hours of striping paint and cussing because the color didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. Hope this helps and good luck to you.      

4 hours ago, espo said:

I would use the White Primer on any color if you are trying to brighten the color. The Tamiya Blue can be used either way with Gray or White Primer. The color Pigment in the Blue is such that it really doesn't seem to make much of a difference in this case. My experience has been that the lighter colors respond more to the color of the Primer than the darker colors. I think the standard response to your question is to try a couple of plastic pick nick spoons before you ever paint your actual model no mater what color or brand of paint you are using. This will save you many hours of striping paint and cussing because the color didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. Hope this helps and good luck to you.      

Thanks bro that's a awsome idea never thought about that omg I feel slow now lol

12 hours ago, Modeldude428 said:

Thanks bro that's a awsome idea never thought about that omg I feel slow now lol

Live and learn my friend. You are taking the correct approach by asking questions. There are many builders here that will gladly offer advice to try and help you along.  I often learn something new just by reading others advice and I have been building for many years.

23 hours ago, espo said:

I use Tamiya silver leaf for a base coat. It is thinner than the primer. The blur Ferrari has two coast of silver base coat with three coats of blue. The orange ferrari has a gold base coat  with metallic orange on top. Painted the same way. The clear is MR Hobby super clear

image.jpg

image.jpg

I use Tamiya paint all the time. The blue can is painted as followed

Tamiya silver leaf 2 coats this is the base coat and the primer . The kit is molded in red. The silver is thin and lays down very well. The Tamiya number is TS-30. 

The blue is Tamiya  racing blue. I sprayed this in 3 coats.  Every coat was left to dry 1hour or over night. The second coat of blue was left to dry over night. The Tamiya number is TS-51 

Car was then cleared with Testors wet look clear. Two coats of this.

I hope this helps. I more info is needed just let me know.

cheers

I have been using TS-50 mica blue a lot.  I'm doing WRC cars and I have found that this paint is really very transparent.  Using a white primer or a light base exaggerates the panel lines by making them very light.  Flat black seems to give a better finish to my eye.  Granted it will be a darker shade of blue but the panel lines are much less prominent. 

On 2/17/2018 at 12:18 PM, Gt fan said:

Just go back and use the Tamiya panel line stuff. It's used for darkening the body lines. It comes in brown ,grey , and a few other colors

I would really like to see a photo of your use of it.  The area I have the most problem is not the bottom of the panel line but at each edge because the sharp edges on either side of the grove that don't give enough coverage on kits that are molded in white.  I have tried thinned paints and other methods to hide that this without much success until I started using black as a base coat.  Would love to see anything that works.