Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine Decision in my Chevette!!!!!

whittt

Hey Guys I am building a crazy one here to relive my old Pro Street Days... My problem is I cannot decide on the engine. My choices are the tunnel rem small block from the AMT 1966 Nova. A Blown Hemi from a 32 Ford project. Or the double blown small block from the Pro Street Beretta? Possibly a Blown Big Block Chevy? What do you all think?????????????? THANKS

20180213_131526_Burst01.jpg

20180212_190356.jpg

20180213_131517.jpg

I would go with the blown smallblock from the Beretta or, go total 80's style with a blown big block like the one in the Revell '68 Corvette. 6-71 huffer, Moroso valve covers tubular headers....there was a blue Chevette in all the magazines back in the mid 80's that had that set up -Larry.

You might consider going with some side radiators, like the Dobbertin J-2000 had, as space up front will be tight if you use a V-8. Something non-V-8 would be neat, and different, and allow for more working space, too.

Here's the first Pro Street I recall reading about and seeing:

jodyguirinopschevette.jpg.6bce6a6e0bb68fb1c563199261ea6bd9.jpg

You really want to make a head turner, do something like a v6 from the Grand National, but twin turbo and supercharged.  But that would be a plumbing nightmare.  Maybe a Nissan GTR 3.8 twin turbo.  You really want to win the odd ball engine award, a 4BT Cummins with a gigantic turbo.

I understand completely, working with what's on hand.  I don't know what you have on hand. 

Personally, I'd go with a Blown Small Block Chevy (with one Blower only). Big Block is so much heavier that I'm sure a Blown Small Block would be definitely enough for a tiny car like this without making the nose too heavy. This sounds like a cool project.