Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '55 Bel Air Box Art Tribute, Part I - Yellow Car

Casey

On 2/16/2018 at 11:07 AM, Casey said:

Front wheels are the front wheels from the Revell '64 Ford T-bolt with parts box tires (not sure on the source, possibly Lindberg '64 Belvedere?):

WP_20180215_104.thumb.jpg.b1a21528800ce05cb06c83b00726636a.jpg

Just checked my stash - these tires are from early MPC kits (my set came from an original-issue '60 Vette gluebomb). 

Awesome refitting to make a great subject better!!!  I love that it's a gasser project as well.  I may be motivated to get my Blew By You project back out!!!  I look forward to seeing your progress!!!????????

On 2/22/2018 at 10:58 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Just checked my stash - these tires are from early MPC kits (my set came from an original-issue '60 Vette gluebomb). 

Thanks, Chris.

I've been slowly pecking away at the interior, repeatedly trimming, sanding, and test fitting the door/quarter panel pieces and floor in the body shell until the fit is just right. I added some right angle tabs to the edges of the floor to more positively retain the side panels, and that helped immensely, so the fit of those three pieces is very good now. I had to add some material to the edge of the AMT dashboard, but it looks like it should work just fine with the Revell '57 side panels after I add some additional filler pieces. Test fit progress:

WP_20180227_029.thumb.jpg.299cd851e8908327abff9f855f532291.jpg

I widened the radiator support a bit to get a more positive fit, but lost some detail in the process. I'll add some right angle pieces or similar, to replicate what someone might've done when moving the radiator ahead of the support for engine clearance. In the below two images you can see where the upper radiator hose bung was plugged (I can't recall why there were two holes?) and the mold seams removed. I think I'll add some tank detail to the bottom of the radiator, too, as that area is highly visible now that part of the splash pan has been removed: 

WP_20180227_016.thumb.jpg.dc1995548889560eadcdf92ba765e96f.jpg

WP_20180227_024.jpg.7e2c371dca2c6f105988d467786f7c61.jpg

I received a set of bucket seats from the MPC Jeep CJ-2A kit (thanks again to Paul Gardner :)) and cleaned up and re-shaped one of them, though I still need to make some additional brackets to raise them up a bit. They are a very basic, lightweight seat which I reasoned could have been easily found in a salvage yard back in the day, and they'd be much lighter than the stock bench seat anyway. Not sure how I'll finish them, yet:

WP_20180227_009.thumb.jpg.347d274f2a89dfa339dda72213f6d73d.jpg

looking good!

Actually, your core support is pretty close as it is - Stock, V-8's had the radiator mounted aft of the core support and inline 6's had the radiator mounted ahead of the core support.  It's a simple swap to change the core support and radiator for more engine clearance. 

See the source imageSee the source image

On 2/18/2018 at 5:09 AM, BigTallDad said:

Nice work on that '55...reminds me of the days when I had a 2-dr post 55 Chevy with a 327 in it.

It appears the blue Maverick is right-hand steering.

Logghe Chassis funny car with center steer. Unfortunately, the illustrator forgot the cage, it was in the kit.