Model Cars Magazine Forum

Compressor recommendations

If you really want quiet, a CO2, or SCUBA tank is the way to go. You can do a lot of airbrushing with one, and they're totally silent. The downside is that you have to get them refilled, inspected, and hydro'ed every 5 years. SCUBA shops can be hard to find in some parts of the country.

Whatever compressor you get, make sure it has a tank. The diaphragm compressors will pulse when you have the airbrush wide open. It's not a very attractive look. The small compressors with a 2 gallon tank have plenty of capacity for an airbrush, and are good for other things around the house too.  

I power my airbrush with the same compressor that runs the rest of my shop tools, with some additional filtering and regulation. It has a large tank, so I run it until the tank is at working pressure, then shut it off. That way, I don't get any blips in the paint when it turns on. (It's pretty noisy) 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Now, if only these threads are read...thanks, Casey

Normally I try not to include any pictures etc. so as not to repeat what already has been said/shown. In this case, I was unable to do that.

Edited by BigTallDad

I will admit that I worked at Eastwood. I picked this up after leaving there, for $35. Didn’t like the internal regulator, so I added my own from my last compressor. Once the tank fills, and it’s pretty quiet, I can spray a lot before it kicks in. With my reg, it’s consistent. With the internal, it’s a hit or miss with pressure. You need to add an external reg.

My old Badger compressor was a workhorse. It’s loud and run constantly. It done service over 20 years!

A comparable unit to the Eastwood is a Porter-Cable. My contractor had one here at the house. He let me try it!  I’ve seen them on sale at Lowe’s for under a C - note.

E61E6C67-7DD5-448E-A698-D2C4B1E3C739.jpeg

Edited by George Bojaciuk

After many years of using various compressors I would recommend the Iwata studio model if one is serious about airbrushing. It is very quiet, thankfully and has two lines running off of it, complete with seperate regulators and moisture traps. It is a bit more money yet very worthwhile.

I would definitely stay away from the small hobby compressors, the ones without a holding tank, as the airstream pulsates from the compressor itself. With a tank that problem is eliminated.

I've had my current one for six years and it has been trouble free and very quiet, so one can use it in an apartment or in the middle of the night for us insomniacs without disturbing anyone.

Cheers Misha

I think your key word here was quiet.  Did you mean quiet or silent?  The reason I ask is my compressor is pretty quite for a garage but would never bring it in the house.  It runs gas a 2.5 gallon tank and fills to 175 psi.  Once it is filled I shut it off and can paint most of the day on one fill.  So for about 5 minutes it is really loud and then silent for the rest of the day.  Others have mentioned CO2 and scuba tanks absolutely silent also but need a fill.  At one time Badger made a connection to attach to a spare tire.  Also most compressor companies make a auxiliary tank which is just a tank with a valve.  You take it to a compressor and fill it and then paint. So you really have to answer the relative question of what is quiet to you first. 

If you want something silent, I use a 7 gallon air tank.  Buy some threaded copper tubing from the hardware store and teflon tape.  You will also need an air regulator.  I have been using this kind of a setup for probably 15 years or more.  In the early years, I would take the take to a gas station and fill it.  A number of years ago, I bought an air compressor for my garage so I can use air tools to do some work on my cars.  I use the air compressor to fill the air tank.

I recommend changing tanks about every five or seven years, but they are not that expensive.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:02 PM, Misha said:

After many years of using various compressors I would recommend the Iwata studio model if one is serious about airbrushing. It is very quiet, thankfully and has two lines running off of it, complete with seperate regulators and moisture traps. It is a bit more money yet very worthwhile.

I would definitely stay away from the small hobby compressors, the ones without a holding tank, as the airstream pulsates from the compressor itself. With a tank that problem is eliminated.

I've had my current one for six years and it has been trouble free and very quiet, so one can use it in an apartment or in the middle of the night for us insomniacs without disturbing anyone.

Cheers Misha

Solid advice. I believe my compressor is a power jet. I gave it to my older brother to use when I was out of the hobby and didn't have a place to work. It is time to buy a new one.

I am currently using my 3 gallon Kobalt compressor with an external regulator/filter/moisture trap. It works just fine, however, it would be nice to have something I could run in the house with a spray booth

Maybe I missed it, but I've not seen anything about water traps or the use of a separate regulator.

Hopefully this isn't considered free advertising...I use the MicroMark regulator with a built in water trap (I live in humid SW Florida). The regulator only goes to 70 psi, meaning finer adjustments are more easily obtained. Try dialing in 18 psi on a regulator, that goes to 125 psi, when the gauge is an inch or so in diameter!

Edited by BigTallDad