Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good low-cost commercial spray booth

Hi, im getting a bit tired of lugging the air brush outside. was wondering what some of the modelers here are using for spray booths. I would like to get something reasonably priced that can vent out a window, such as a bathroom window and wont get paint everywhere. Does anything like that exist??  I don't have a work bench area that i sit at all the time, but instead do most of my building at the kitchen table. When i paint i usually go outside, except when brushing.

Sincerely John

You can make a paint booth pretty cheap out of a large cardboard box, an a.c. filter, and an intrinsically safe vent fan. For a little more you can make a frame out of 1" pvc and cover it with clear plastic and use the same filter and fan.

Here are plans for a portable booth which is probably right up your alley since you don't have a permanent work area. There are plans out there for free for any size booth imagineable.

portablespraybooth_illo1.jpg.815a72904fcdcb8893cc49ae5ebb56c2.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

Under the Tips, Tricks and Tutorials category, there is a 15 page thread on paint booths.  It's locked so it is at the top of the screen.  There are a lot of tips and good advice there.  If you want something inexpensive, you may want to consider making one yourself.  I bought a small unit from a company that advertises in the modelling magazines.  The name escapes me as I am away from home, but it was between $300 and $400.  I like the unit and do not have any complaints, but if I had to do it all over again, I think I would build my own.