Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from Long Beach.

Hey guys. I’ve had previously been pretty immersed in car modeling, and had gotten into it through my old man, who used to post here pretty often, under the username 62SS. Well, he passed away almost 8 years ago, and after he died I didn’t want anything to do with modeling anymore. It was something that he taught me and I didn’t feel right doing it after he was gone. I even went as far as to throw away every kit, tool, paint, magazine, and build that I had when I moved from Pittsburgh to Long Beach, 5 years ago.

Anyway, today, on a whim, I decided that I wanted to start building again. I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up three kits and and new X-acto knife, and started kinda fooling around already. I’m pretty excited to be here, and nervous about what my first build back might look like, but I just wanna have some fun.

My primary modeling interests are American cars from 50’s-70’s and old motorcycles. Being that I’m in a brand new city, about 2600 miles away I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for cool hobby shops, shows, and sales in the LA/Long Beach/OC area? Thanks, guys, and can’t wait to see and share some builds.

-Will Ryan

Hobby Lobbys are probably the best bet as far as getting kits and supplies from a brick and mortar at a decent price. They have everything you need to get you started off. I believe there's two HLs in close proximity to Long Beach, but I'm sure you know this by know.

The go to shop in the LA metro area is definitely Burbank's House of Hobbies in Burbank. You won't regret taking a trip there.