Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steve Kohler Star Models

• 1 month later...

Thru a friend of mine I have bought a number of plastic and resin kits from Steve at Star Models , great prices , great service . I got a Revell Corvette kit from Steve , not moulded properly , not his fault but he replaced it straight away , a good guy to deal with .

2 hours ago, modelercarl said:

What's a price point?

Differences between “price point” and “price”

This comment nails it:
"If I had to guess, I'd say its gratuitous use probably started with conversations between corporate executives and accountants where the term was being used precisely, moving from there to other executives who were at the meeting, didn't understand the term but thought it sounded good and so tried to imitate the people who knew what they were talking about, gradually spreading out into the culture from there. So, yeah, fundamentally people imitating each other to try to sound clever."

The way I think of the distinction....for 'price point', I tend to think of as a specific point or range in a market in which there a selection of products priced at...i.e...model kits at the $25 price point,  jeans at the $50 price point, family sedans at $25k, SUVs around $40k,  homes in a suburb at the $250k price point, etc.   While I think of 'price' as referring to the price of a specific product--like a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon at $38,995 or a McDonalds Breakfast sandwich at $1.99, or a specific house advertised at $249,990. 

Edited by Rob Hall

34 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Differences between “price point” and “price”

This comment nails it:
"If I had to guess, I'd say its gratuitous use probably started with conversations between corporate executives and accountants where the term was being used precisely, moving from there to other executives who were at the meeting, didn't understand the term but thought it sounded good and so tried to imitate the people who knew what they were talking about, gradually spreading out into the culture from there. So, yeah, fundamentally people imitating each other to try to sound clever."

I tend to agree with this comment.....everything posted above makes sense if you just leave off "point".