Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for 68 Ford LTD parts

28 minutes ago, Kris Morgan said:

68 LTD would be a full size like the Galaxie. Not mid size like the Torino/ Cobra. That said, Missing Link used to do a 4 door 68 LTD. 

I'll have to email them, I don't see it listed on their site right now. Thanks for the lead. 

The Missing Link Resin 1968 Ford LTD 4 Door Hardtop Transkit is pretty nice, and is worth finding. In the one- to-one world, the roof panel between the 2 and 4 door hardtop is the same, with the sail panels being different. The gentleman who did the master for the Transkit, Howard Weinstein, is a personal friend of mine, and is a member of our modeling club.

I have one of the transkits myself, and I am considering turning mine into a 2- door, and no it is not for sale. 

If you can get one from Missing Link, do not hesitate.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

7 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

The Missing Link Resin 1968 Ford LTD 4 Door Hardtop Transkit is pretty nice, and is worth finding. In the one- to-one world, the roof panel between the 2 and 4 door hardtop is the same, with the sail panels being different. The gentleman who did the master for the Transkit, Howard Weinstein, is a personal friend of mine, and is a member of our modeling club.

I have one of the transkits myself, and I am considering turning mine into a 2- door, and no it is not for sale. 

If you can get one from Missing Link, do not hesitate.

I'm going to email missing link about the transit today. In the mean time I picked up a 69 Galaxie at a swap meet this morning and bought the hood from the missing link kit off eBay so I've got some options now. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, Fat Brian said:

The 69 Cobra thread on the first page got me the thinking about replicating my dad's first car, a 68 LTD two door. Does anyone currently make any resin parts for a conversion? I need the hide away headlight grille from the LTD wagon and a formal top body.

I'd start with an AMT friction 1968 XL Fastback.  The Cycolac plastic is far more stable than styrene to work with and the painting results with Cycolac throw rocks at styrene.  Your grille and body are all finished, you'll just need to acquire the roof and forward portion of the deck lid panel.  I still have my Candyapple Red '68 XL convertible I built when the '68s first appeared. 

13 hours ago, luvzoldmopars said:

I'd start with an AMT friction 1968 XL Fastback.  The Cycolac plastic is far more stable than styrene to work with and the painting results with Cycolac throw rocks at styrene.  Your grille and body are all finished, you'll just need to acquire the roof and forward portion of the deck lid panel.  I still have my Candyapple Red '68 XL convertible I built when the '68s first appeared. 

I actually built a master for the LTD since I made this post. 

20180915_173939.thumb.jpg.6a1cacd21caa31b16f5b3e374683d65d.jpg

• 1 year later...

Did you scratch build that 1968?  I was looking for the 1968 Galaxie LTD from Missing Link Resin.  From reading these posts it sounds like they are not casting.  Can you please share information on what you did to get to the Galaxie in the picture?  What kits did you use? Are you casting or selling the bodies?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 6:34 PM, nielsentr said:

Did you scratch build that 1968?  I was looking for the 1968 Galaxie LTD from Missing Link Resin.  From reading these posts it sounds like they are not casting.  Can you please share information on what you did to get to the Galaxie in the picture?  What kits did you use? Are you casting or selling the bodies?

I built that for Kris Morgan at MAD, I'm not sure where he is with the rest of it. I started with a broken Galaxie body and cut notches in the fenders where the A pillars and vent windows attached. Then I cut the roof and deck lid off leaving just about 1/8 inch of trunk lid and the rear vertical part over the bumper.

Then I added the entire top, A pillars, vent windows and all, and the deck lid from the 66 Galaxie. Then I sliced off the 66 rear windshield and added a modified piece from a 69 Thunderbird. I used sheet styrene to fill in the from side of the C pillars and strips to make the drip rails.

Here is a pic without paint that shows how the cuts were laid out.

20180810_173446.thumb.jpg.da56d9a611addbe94c30b6baa5326fc3.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 2/17/2018 at 1:26 PM, Fat Brian said:

I'm going to email missing link about the transit today. In the mean time I picked up a 69 Galaxie at a swap meet this morning and bought the hood from the missing link kit off eBay so I've got some options now. 

I bought a few 68 galaxie hoods from missing link too so i could finish some builder Galaxies