Model Cars Magazine Forum

ethical situation

GLMFAA1

If you had a fellow model builder who is incapacitated and has a collection and you found out that other persons have confiscated his collection and are selling it off would you tell the model builder? You do not know what situation he has placed himself in in regards to his assets but he believes his collection to be intact. What would you do?

greg

2 hours ago, modelercarl said:

Your message indicates that someone has/is stealing his personal possessions......contact the police, let them do what is necessary.

I think that I agree with Carl.

I'm sure that you have more information on this then you're disclosing here Greg, but if someone is truly selling off this individuals possessions without his knowledge, it is truly theft & the authorities should be notified.

It would be no different than if someone were using his credit cards.

As far as letting the person know what's happening with his collection, I absolutely would, especially if he were a good friend.

I would hope that someone would inform me if anything shady was going on with my possessions if I were incapacitated.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

35 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think that I agree with Carl.

I'm sure that you have more information on this then you're disclosing here Greg, but if someone is truly selling off this individuals possessions without his knowledge, it is truly theft & the authorities should be notified.

It would be no different than if someone were using his credit cards.

As far as letting the person know what's happening with his collection, I absolutely would, especially if he were a good friend.

I would hope that someone would inform me if anything shady was going on with my possessions if I were incapacitated.

Steve

Agree completely. They are stealing from your friend just as surely as if they were taking money out of his wallet or bank account. 

If you haven't already, verify with your friend that these people do or don't have his permission to be selling these models. If he is incapacitated who has the authority to look after his personal property ? Are these people "trusted friends" and how are they obtaining his property ? If he is not in an agreement with these people to be selling his property he should call the Police or Sheriffs office right always.  

Discuss it with your friend to ascertain whether he granted permission.  If not, he needs to know.  Then, if appropriate to the situation, assist him in notifying police.  

I'm guessing it might be an elder abuse matter . . . 

Ratbaztards need to be dealt with.  Laws and police are there to protect those who can't take care of themselves.

3 hours ago, Danno said:

Discuss it with your friend to ascertain whether he granted permission.  If not, he needs to know.  Then, if appropriate to the situation, assist him in notifying police.  

I'm guessing it might be an elder abuse matter . . . 

Ratbaztards need to be dealt with.  Laws and police are there to protect those who can't take care of themselves.

Yes, if you choose to do something, this is the best course of action.

10 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

If you had a fellow model builder who is incapacitated and has a collection and you found out that other persons have confiscated his collection and are selling it off would you tell the model builder? You do not know what situation he has placed himself in in regards to his assets but he believes his collection to be intact. What would you do?

greg

Approach cautiously but definitely inquire with him as to what his wishes are and if he has assigned power of attorney to anyone for handling his affairs. It could be possible that whomever is selling the collection to satisfy his debts and expenses. 

You didn't mention the level to which he is incapacitated, that could weigh heavily into what is transpiring. Tread carefully until you know the facts and then decide if the authorities need to be involved.

10 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Approach cautiously but definitely inquire with him as to what his wishes are and if he has assigned power of attorney to anyone for handling his affairs. It could be possible that whomever is selling the collection to satisfy his debts and expenses. 

You didn't mention the level to which he is incapacitated, that could weigh heavily into what is transpiring. Tread carefully until you know the facts and then decide if the authorities need to be involved.

x2

16 hours ago, slusher said:

If they don't have his permission or a power of attorney then it's stealing...

That is true, but it's best to ascertain what the owner's wishes/directions are before assuming it is theft. Always best to put something like that in writing and have it notarized, makes any legal battles or criminal charges a lot more clear if you do (personal experience).

I'm on board with much of what's been said, except for the police part. My assumption is it's being done by someone close enough to have access to his possessions, which means CLOSE family or friend. Are POLICE CHARGES really where you want to start this? Maybe later, if warranted, as a final action.

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

That is true, but it's best to ascertain what the owner's wishes/directions are before assuming it is theft. Always best to put something like that in writing and have it notarized, makes any legal battles or criminal charges a lot more clear if you do (personal experience).

A power of attorney gives them permission to act in a persons behalf. If I understand it right but i may be wrong...

Went through it too when my father passed. He had quite a few vintage cars and parts in addition to quite a bit of automobilia. Once I beat the vultures off claiming he promised them this or that my sister and mother then became a huge problem despite everything being carefully accounted for in his will. It's still ongoing unfortunately.

Edited by Phirewriter

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

Went through it too when my father passed. He had quite a few vintage cars and parts in addition to quite a bit of automobilia. Once I beat the vultures off claiming he promised them this or that my sister and mother then became a huge problem despite everything being carefully accounted for in his will. It's still ongoing unfortunately.

I was lucky enough not to have those problems as I was "the last man standing."

15 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

One can almost understand when it comes to potentially high ticket items like that, but I've seen this sort of behavior with silly things like, photos, hats and beanie babies of all things. I don't get people sometimes.

7 hours ago, Jantrix said:

One can almost understand when it comes to potentially high ticket items like that, but I've seen this sort of behavior with silly things like, photos, hats and beanie babies of all things. I don't get people sometimes.

As the saying goes....Where there's a will, there's a relative! Money has a funny way of tearing families apart and causing headache and heartache.