Model Cars Magazine Forum

Muffler Bearing?

Funny thing is, IIRC VW actually has either a muffler or exhaust bearing! I think it's the flex joint couplers between the down pipes and the reat of the exhaust system.

I seem to recall a certain glass pack that had a turbine fan gizmo, for god knows what reason, that was on a bushing.

Hmmmmm B) Theres plenty of evidence in that pic that shows thats not where that bearing originaly came from.... :lol: But if a muffler was to have a bearing like that in it and all that heat melts it to the point those balls start really rolling around in that muffler, it would sound nothing you ever heard before! ;)

~ Jeff

Funny thing is, IIRC VW actually has either a muffler or exhaust bearing! I think it's the flex joint couplers between the down pipes and the reat of the exhaust system.

Nope. Nothing water-cooled has such a device. Where the down-pipe meets the cat, there is a friction ring on some cars, but definitely no bearings in the exhaust systems on any late model VW. I'm not familiar enough with the air-cooled cars to say for sure on them but if there were, I'm sure it would have been brought up whenever muffler bearings get mentioned in the VW parts department I work in.

We have fun watching a tech come in and ask a newbie to look up a part for a car that doesn't have one, i.e. a torque converter seal for a car that never came with an automatic, or a thermostat for an old Beetle. :)

Edited by dub

Now if we could only see a piston return spring. :)

And that ###### mysterious blinker fluid reservoir location.

Hey I recommend this place for all of your Hard to find Automotive needs! They Have trouble Keeping their High Performance Blinker Fluid in stock, cause it works so well! I know of many Police Agencies that use this in their Cruisers, and the Big B in Seattle has been talking with them, to get some approved by the FAA for the Next Generation of Jumbos! ;)

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=...p;products_id=6

Nope. Nothing water-cooled has such a device. Where the down-pipe meets the cat, there is a friction ring on some cars, but definitely no bearings in the exhaust systems on any late model VW.

Actually, that's the very part I'm talking about that I thought was listed as an exhaust bearing!

We have fun watching a tech come in and ask a newbie to look up a part for a car that doesn't have one, i.e. a torque converter seal for a car that never came with an automatic, or a thermostat for an old Beetle. :)

I went to get wheels cylinders, shoes, and pads for my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited last summer so Dad and I could do a brake job on it (still need to before this summer's out, rear brakes have 120k on them but it still stops!) and when the kid behind the parts counter found the part number in hte computer, he asked me if I needed the wheel cylinders for the front or the back.....of a truck has never had drum brakes on the front axle................

Also had a parts boi ask me one time if I knew whether or not the inductions system of my '85 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo (2.2l SOHC) would fit his mid 90's Chevy Cavalier (with the 2.2l OHV)......And yes the Caviler did have a big aluminum wing, glass pack with 5" tail pipe and 1.5" through pipe, and weathered paint, stock rims and hubcaps with the low line textured gray bumpers..........

Edited by Joe Handley

What's goin' on...

Jonathan (DUB)

Reminds me of when I pulled a fast one on the nuts/bolts supplier lady. I told her we (mechanics) needed 3/8 and 5/8 muffler bearings. She looked in her supplier catalog for 20 mins. until one of the truck mechanics told her there wasn't such a thing as a muffler bearing! Not sure what was funnier her looking in the cat. for over 20 mins. or her hitting me in the shoulder w/ the catalog! A 3 inch thick catalog!!! HA HAAAA :)

We have fun watching a tech come in and ask a newbie to look up a part for a car that doesn't have one, i.e. a torque converter seal for a car that never came with an automatic, or a thermostat for an old Beetle. ;)

By the way. Im under the impression you're in the parts industry.

Do you stock a batteries for a HENWEIGH?

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

.....And yes the Caviler did have a big aluminum wing, glass pack with 5" tail pipe and 1.5" through pipe, and weathered paint, stock rims and hubcaps with the low line textured gray bumpers..........

What, he didn't have the huge anime front and rear bumpers still in bare fiberglass?

:);):huh:

What's goin' on...

Jonathan (DUB)

Reminds me of when I pulled a fast one on the nuts/bolts supplier lady. I told her we (mechanics) needed 3/8 and 5/8 muffler bearings. She looked in her supplier catalog for 20 mins. until one of the truck mechanics told her there wasn't such a thing as a muffler bearing! Not sure what was funnier her looking in the cat. for over 20 mins. or her hitting me in the shoulder w/ the catalog! A 3 inch thick catalog!!! HA HAAAA :)

By the way. Im under the impression you're in the parts industry.

Do you stock a batteries for a HENWEIGH?

I sell parts at the local VW dealer.

We sure do if you really want 'em! ;)

When I was in the Navy (please, no stupid jokes about the Village People), anyway, we would routinely send one of the newbee, green peas down to the Boatswains locker (tool storage area on a Navy ship) to get “batteries for a sound powered phone set†or a gallon of “prop washâ€. Same kind of fun with the uninitiated

Guest zebm1

back in th dayz of werkin' in tha Speed shop....whenever we'd git a newbie in tha shop, we'd send him up front to go get a 420 degree racing cam degree wheel. guy up front wuld tell him it waz already checked out-check with tha mecahincs..., we'd tell tha kid it wuz up front...back and forth, back and forth....waz funny to see how long it took them to realize that their iz only 360 degrees in a circle. :huh:;):);)

I had a small gas station in San Luis Obispo and the local kids would hang out and beg for free soda. We would send them down to the parts store to run errands getting parts for us. Newbs would be sent down to the parts store to bring back headlight polish (Yeah, I know there is such a thing for the faded Lexan lenses, but this was in the glass sealed beam days). At the current job when a newb cuts a wire too short, we send them to the tool crib looking for wire stretchers.

Edited by lordairgtar

You know Joe , this sounds scary.............. When I lived in Dallas there was a Ceeep, uh Cheif Auto parts store in walking distance of my house . Just a couple of blocks over was a Pep-Boys. I witnessed the same behaviors you did. From then on, I went to a N A P A which was several miles away. If I wanted Air Fresheners, well.... go figure Ed Shaver

Many years ago the now ex-wife had this awful Triumph Spitfire. Fun to drive but prone to breakdowns, and being a mechanic, I was the poor sap in charge of fixing it. So, she tells me its "not runnng right". I ck it out and its fine, but she doesnt think so. After a few rounds of this, I'm getting beyond annoyed. So at my most pissed point, I say to heck with this garbage, and tell her "Well, I've figured it out. I had to replace your muffler bearings. man, they were really worn out!" So she drives it and is happy as a clam...tells me it runs great! True story. I still get a chuckle out of this from time to time.

Cripes are these stories funny B)

Believe it or not, the place I got the pic from was a thread on a Jeep forum where a guy started the thread wanting to put a 1-2" body lift on his '99 Cherokee........which is unibody, to prevent tire rubbing.

My wife worked with me in my shop years ago, she was in her early 20s, and real good looking. There were lotsa 'Ricky-Racers' (young Camaro-Pilot types) that would come in for parts, suspension mods, etc., and occasionally, one would pay way too much attention to her. This annoyed her. One day she was torquing the rods in an engine she was trying to finish, and in drives this clown with an Olds 442. He races the engine a coupla times, and the dry fan belt is screeching like crazy. She puts down the torque wrench, and walks up to his car...the guy gets out, banties-out his chest, and says, "Ever since I put this cam in, I can't gat the belts to stop screeching. It IS the belts, right?"

She opens the hood, and the alternator is 1/2" out of line with the water pump. She closes the hood, points down the street, and says: "Parts house. Fan belt gaskets." The guy drove straight to the parts house!

Yeah, on one of my cars I had to replace the headlight belts, Kanutin valve, muffler bearings, Johnson rod and the piston return springs and it still ran like ######. Then we figured out what was wrong with the car- it was the loose nut behind the wheel.