Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Parts Packs - Your Ideas & Suggestions?

What do you think would make for a good selling, stand-alone Parts Pack from AMT? It should consist of newly created parts or a recreation of original parts which are long gone (like the forthcoming '57 Fantasy Parts Pack), but remember to keep it realistic-- it's got to be a small package and sell for $13-$15 or so.

I propose:

1) 1/25 scale snowplow from (or similar to) the old MPC Jeep Commando, maybe add an amber rotating beacon style(?) roof light or two with transparent amber domes?

MPCJeepCommandoPlowvi-vi.jpg.9726f039f17219c455f4fedaa62442ef.jpg

2) The Yard Tractor Parts Pack: Wheel Horse tractor found in the MPC Indy Turbine kit(s). If just one is included, the MSRP would/should be less:

IndyWHeelHorse.jpg.fc9a9f213be969e0bea12ef12e2d8a46.jpg

3) Vintage Drag Strip Parts Pack: Mini bike from one of the MPC or AMT kits (maybe the forthcoming '86 El Camino?) and a few oil cans,  two toolboxes, a floor jack, wheel chocks, or instead a starting line 'Christmas tree' like the one from the MPC '72 GTO, but all-new, with transparent bulbs/lenses in red, amber, and green? Maybe a decal sheet of vintage sponsor logos and vintage style class numbers and letters?

4) Vintage Service Truck Parts Pack: Two 55-gallon drums, push broom (both similar to those found in the AMT Ford C-600 Stakebed kit, but not necssisarily direct copies), a few oil cans,  two toolboxes, a floor jack, wheel chocks, etc.-- things they could add to add extra value just about any pickup truck or van reissue.

5) Day 2 Wheel & Tire Parts Pack: One set of deep dish 5-slot wheels and some 60-series pad printed RWL BF Goodrich tires. Really, they could do multiple different sets of wheels using the same tires, and label it multiple ways. I think the newer pad printed Polyglas GT tires are great, and Round2 has certainly gotten a good return on that investment, but aftermarket wheels and tires for street vehicles, as a stand alone set, have been much overlooked, and Round2 has a ton of musclecar, pickup, and van kits in which they could include such a wheel and tire set as a bonus item. I realize this might be a tricky one, as they'd need to make sure the wheels and tires both fit and mount properly to whichever kit they are included with, but a few different wheel back pieces might be able to cover many of the variations.

That's all I've got. Let's hear your suggestions/ideas, please.

Edited by Casey

How about the large size wheels and tires that AMT put in thier "Resto Rods" serise.

They're already all on separate trees as they were just added to the original kits.  I know some people don't like the tires that came with these wheels but I think they look OK, better than a lot of kit tires I've seen anyway.  The ones in the Cougar and Chevelle were kinda ugly but the others looked good.

Image result for amt resto rods

Image result for amt resto rods

Related image

Image result for amt resto rods 66

Maybe some more detailed engine kits with internal parts ,Crankshaft, pistons and rods, camshaft, etc. :) Kinda like the old Aurora 427 Ford.

Aurora 590 F427sl.JPG  also ready to go AMT Round2 AMT 1/25 1966 CHEVY NOVA PRO STREET ENGINE STAND AND DISPLAY ENGINE!

Have one to sell? Sell now

Have one to sell? Sell now

AMT 1/25 1966 CHEVY NOVA PRO STREET ENGINE STAND AND DISPLAY ENGINE!

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

I'd like to see more of MPC kits come back that all accessories already in them. Like the Commando above. Or the '69 Bonneville hardtop with the canoe and roof rack. The '69 Grand Prix with skis, ski racks, and snow tires. The '68 Dodge Coronet with the U-Haul style trailer. And many others. That was always one of the fun things with several MPC kits in the 60's. The extras. 

17 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Ladder Bars, gasser stuff, front end up in the air parts. :P

2 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Just Carburetors, Carter AFB, Holley, Predator, Webers, Rochester 2bbls (for old school multi carb set ups), Strombergs (several for multi carb set ups too)

I like these ones. 

18 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I'd like to see more of MPC kits come back that all accessories already in them.

That's not really what's being asked in this topic.

2 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Old school air cleaners

You honestly think a Parts Pack consisting only of multiple types of vintage air cleaners would be a good seller? Round would have no problem moving 2,500 of these for $9.99 each?

I like the day 2 tire and wheel idea with big and little wheels and period correct tires. Modern 4x4 wheels and tires would be great too. I'd like to see more engine packs with not commonly available engines, a slant 6, a 318 Poly, a Dodge long ram, a 351 Cleveland, an LS1, things like that. I'd also like wrecker stuff, good generic old or newer parts to build a custom bed off of.

5 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

You honestly think a Parts Pack consisting only of multiple types of vintage air cleaners would be a good seller? Round would have no problem moving 2,500 of these for $9.99 each?

What did their aluminum velocity stacks go for?

amtpp7.jpg

I picked up a set at my LHS for $9.99

The Chrysler 300C has a really nice early Hemi, so if they could some how make that into a separate kit.

If they're willing to cut some new moulds, how about some more modern stuff?  Some decent turbochargers and intercoolers,  and maybe some modern engines.

Pesonally, I'd like to see more traditional stuff.  Big and little white wall tires, and vintage speed parts.   How about an assortment of vintage hubcaps for doing period customs?

ENGINES

The 454 from the Phase III B-M Camaro ;

Mark IV / TH-400 from the 1968 El Camino and 1970 Monte Carlo SS-454 ; 

335-Series engine / transmission from the Phantom / Vantom  Econoline ;

340 from the 1971 Duster ( include the pulley / belt arrangement from the Street Machine version ) ;

440 / 727  from the 1971 Charger R/T  ...

UNDER-HOOD PARTS :

Various radiators , A/C compressors , brake master cylinders / power boosters ,wiper motors , alternators , etc. , etc.  These would come in handy as additions to older kits which lack those details !

AXLES & DIFFERENTIALS :

12 Bolt from the '70 Camaro ;

Oldsmobile / Pontiac assembly from the 1962 Catalina ;

8 3/4 from the '71 Duster and '71 Charger ;

Ford 9" from ____________ 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

What do you think would make for a good selling, stand-alone Parts Pack from AMT? It should consist of newly created parts or a recreation of original parts which are long gone (like the forthcoming '57 Fantasy Parts Pack), but remember to keep it realistic-- it's got to be a small package and sell for $13-$15 or so.

I propose:

1) 1/25 scale snowplow from (or similar to) the old MPC Jeep Commando, maybe add an amber rotating beacon style(?) roof light or two with transparent amber domes?

MPCJeepCommandoPlowvi-vi.jpg.9726f039f17219c455f4fedaa62442ef.jpg

2) The Yard Tractor Parts Pack: Wheel Horse tractor found in the MPC Indy Turbine kit(s). If just one is included, the MSRP would/should be less:

IndyWHeelHorse.jpg.fc9a9f213be969e0bea12ef12e2d8a46.jpg

3) Vintage Drag Strip Parts Pack: Mini bike from one of the MPC or AMT kits (maybe the forthcoming '86 El Camino?) and a few oil cans,  two toolboxes, a floor jack, wheel chocks, or instead a starting line 'Christmas tree' like the one from the MPC '72 GTO, but all-new, with transparent bulbs/lenses in red, amber, and green? Maybe a decal sheet of vintage sponsor logos and vintage style class numbers and letters?

4) Vintage Service Truck Parts Pack: Two 55-gallon drums, push broom (both similar to those found in the AMT Ford C-600 Stakebed kit, but not necssisarily direct copies), a few oil cans,  two toolboxes, a floor jack, wheel chocks, etc.-- things they could add to add extra value just about any pickup truck or van reissue.

5) Day 2 Wheel & Tire Parts Pack: One set of deep dish 5-slot wheels and some 60-series pad printed RWL BF Goodrich tires. Really, they could do multiple different sets of wheels using the same tires, and label it multiple ways. I think the newer pad printed Polyglas GT tires are great, and Round2 has certainly gotten a good return on that investment, but aftermarket wheels and tires for street vehicles, as a stand alone set, have been much overlooked, and Round2 has a ton of musclecar, pickup, and van kits in which they could include such a wheel and tire set as a bonus item. I realize this might be a tricky one, as they'd need to make sure the wheels and tires both fit and mount properly to whichever kit they are included with, but a few different wheel back pieces might be able to cover many of the variations.

That's all I've got. Let's hear your suggestions/ideas, please.

A good one Casey...

Hmm

GM 4x4 parts to turn some of the kitted Amt/Mpc GM pickups into all wheeldrive vehicles

Ford 4x4 parts to turn some of the kitted Amt/Mpc FoMoCo pickups into all wheeldrive vehicles

Mopar 4x4 parts to turn some of the kitted Amt/Mpc Mopar pickups into all wheeldrive vehicles

a clear headlamp set, something like MV lenses offer's but better, with actual engraving on the clear, different sizes to fit most vintage Am/Mpc kits, round but also rectangular so kits like the Mpc Pinto Poney express, and the like, too can benefit from this

Then adding to your proposals

1) add some decals as well

4) some real Jerry cans, the metal ones like used by the US army

5) 2 sets of wheel & tire set in one box, different themes, 60's aftermarket, 70s Street machine, and further to the Restomod combo....

Will post more if more pops into my mind... :D

A nice set of wire wheels.

A 351 Cleveland  would be nice. 

Hop up parts from the 40's - the 70's would be nice.  Not sure how to go about that break up though. 

Some Photo Etch parts like brackets for Alternator and power steering pump  would be nice. 

How about some suspension parts like a straight axle, rear end parts for drag cars. Wheel tubs maybe. 

Edited by 1930fordpickup