Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Parts Packs - Your Ideas & Suggestions?

Here's one I'd personally buy 20 of:

Quick-change rear ends, on the same sprue as transverse leaf springs to convert hot-rods to traditional rear suspension...

on the same sprue as I-beam front axles and transverse AND gasser-style front leaf springs.

These would have applications for many old-school street as well as race cars.

Here's another one I'd buy 20 of:

"Juice" brake backing plates for traditional hot-rods (the'40- '48 Ford is the real-world go-to)...

on the same sprue as finned brake drums modeled on the old Buick parts, plus a couple of Ford ('37) top-shift transmissions, and a '37 LsSalle and Packard as well.

Stick a few generic cut-to length engine and trans mounts on the same sprue too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Yes, who's carrying this hobby? It's us old geezers :huh: Doing  nostalgia builds, searching our stash for that long lost part we need.

Ok, add some newer stuff to the mix, maybe some K&N  cone filters. :P

Adding modern parts would make no sense, but I think a parts pack consisting of only air cleaners is a bit too specific. I find the four style pie crust slicks parts packs are guilty of that-- who wants to use twin pinstripe slicks that nobody ever saw on anything bu the Munster's Koach? :blink: Those seem to kill some of the value, but I guess if the air cleaner set consisted of six of those Cal Custom carb scoops, a Cadillac air cleaner like in the attached image, and what else would be included? With parts this small, you'd have room for a lot.

caddyac.jpg.651737ff0f5e1cf060913c55b29a7663.jpg

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

How about the large size wheels and tires that AMT put in thier "Resto Rods" series.

They're already all on separate trees as they were just added to the original kits.  I know some people don't like the tires that came with these wheels but I think they look OK, better than a lot of kit tires I've seen anyway.

The wheels from the Galaxie and Mustangs are quite nicely done, and with different tires (sorry, funky too-heavy tread on those makes them too toy like for me) and you have a winner. I guess the good thing with selling them separately as a Parts Pack is it's understood the consumer is responsible for final fitment, so Round2 needn't worry about that.

21 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Quick-change rear ends, on the same sprue as transverse leaf springs to convert hot-rods to traditional rear suspension...

on the same sprue as I-beam front axles and transverse AND gasser-style front leaf springs.

You could put me down for three or four of those. 

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Marston Mat. 

mastronmatpe.jpg.634ece190935b198b0faa4a146fdfd6e.jpg

Thanks, that is something I would add to a serious off roader set, IIRC the Esci Camel Trophy Range Rover had these as extra's to put on the roof rack.

Not to hijack the tread but IMHO Round2 should seriously into the following

Releasing the Mpc 4x4 Ford Econoline Van, but with backdated round headlamp (this time with clear lenses) grille again, together with the dirt bikes and trailer, the van being a mobile work shop with all the goodies (see Fujimi garare sets) a roof rack with marston mat, spare tires etc...I can dream can't I?  :D

Now back to the regular program....

Mopar engines in general are poorly represented in the hobby, other than the old-school 392 and 426 Hemi designs.

While there are countless small-block and big-block Chebbys and Fords in most parts stashes, it's tough to find a Mopar.

I'd buy several small and big-block Mopars, with nice 727 and manual gearboxes as sweetening.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

8 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Mopar engines in general are poorly represented in the hobby, other than the old-school 392 and 426 Hemi designs.

While there are countless small-block and big-block Chebbys and Fords in most parts stashes, it's tough to find a Mopar.

I agree we need more mopar engines.

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Yes, who's carrying this hobby?

It's us old geezers 

Based on the amount of new and updated tooling Round 2 seems to invest in sci-fi subjects I don't think we're entirely floating them. That being said I like most of the suggestions so far.

One thing to keep in mind is that even though there's numerous parts and assemblies that appear to be from separate molds in some of these kits it may not always be the case. It would largely depend on how the mold inserts are set up in their bases as to the possibility of running certain sprues and then even grouping them together for a parks pack. It may not be viable from a logistical or financial standing, especially concerning accessories from older tooling. 

As for the motorcycle parts packs, first off they are from Revell and there'd certainly be no crossover between companies. In addition there's a number of reasons we probably (very unfortunately) won't see them due to numerous issues, licensing being a big one.

Edited by Phirewriter

21 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Inline 6 engines from Ford, Chebby and Mopar would find me buying several of each as well.

Again, to get most of this stuff, you either have to buy expensive resin (which some modelers shy away from) or rob kits that become useless afterwards.

I like this also. They could be on their own tree and if they want to use them again just slip in the box of a complete kit at a later date. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here's another one I'd buy 20 of:

"Juice" brake backing plates for traditional hot-rods (the '48 Ford is the real-world go-to)...

on the same sprue as finned brake drums modeled on the old Buick parts, plus a couple of Ford ('37) top-shift transmissions, and a '37 LsSalle and Packard as well.

Stick a few generic cut-to length engine and trans mounts on the same sprue too.

I'd buy at least a couple each of those myself

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

One thing to keep in mind is that even though there's numerous parts and assemblies that appear to be from separate molds in some of these kits it may not always be the case. It would largely depend on how the mold inserts are set up in their bases as to the possibility of running certain sprues and then even grouping them together for a parks pack. It may not be viable from a logistical or financial standing, especially concerning accessories from older tooling. 

Agreed.  I did mention a part from an existing (or former) kit in the MPC Jeep snowplow, but I would suggest it be an all-new creation, not a re-used insert. This is also why the "engine from kit XYZ" idea wouldn't work. Round2's not going to develop a Parts Pack which contains identical parts to what is already found in an AMT or MPC kit, unless it's something they re-created (steel wheels in the '66 Nova and '65 Galaxie kits, etc.) and are including in the kits as stand alone "added value" or "lost lost and now restored!" type parts. It only works one way, not the reverse.

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

As for the motorcycle parts packs

I think he was thinking of the AMT motorcycles included (or partially included) in some early to mid-'60s kits?

I suspect most people are comfortable changing out the wheels and tires on a kit with those from a Parts Pack, but an entire engine might be more daunting for the average builder. These Parts Packs still have to have some appeal to the non-enthusiast builder/consumer, so leaning more toward the generic/universal side of things seems, to me at least, to make more sense from a sales potential perspective. That probably doesn't appeal to most of us reading this, but the ability to sell (and ideally, sell out of however many are produced) what is designed has to be considered from the start.

My "wanted" list would be similar to mentioned above...these are all things I find myself needing multiples of:

-quick-change rearends with axle stubs, transverse leaf springs

-'40 Ford style backing plates, Buick finned drums. I made resin copies of the backing plates because I needed 4x as many as I had!

-I-beam dropped axle/front suspension with wishbones or radius rods

-'32 ford grille shells, chopped or stock

-gearboxes (lasalle, 39 Ford, T-5, M22)

-vintage carbs (AFB, Rochester, Stromberg...how about some SU carbs, Weber IDA and DCOE)

-street roots blower setups with accessory belts and proper cooling hoses (TONS of kits have race-only supercharger options, and it requires kit-bashing/robbing several other kits to make streetable engines)

-vintage air cleaners (never seem to have enough of these! Domed,mushroom,  ribbed rectangle, Cal Custom 40-30, Flame Arrester, Cadillac, etc). Might seem like a very niche item (and it is!) but I've sold a bunch of sets of 3D-printed Cal Custom 40-30 scoops over the last year, and they'd be way cheaper as an injection-molded Parts Pack, if such a thing was available!

-Ala Kart-like chrome-reverse wheels with wheelbacks and backing plates.

-Hot Rod tire sets (big n little Firestones, etc) with good wheels to match, with wheelbacks

I agree that an LS Chevy mill with induction options would be a great thing to have, for all those resto-mod projects and custom trucks.

Just now, Casey said:

What do you think would make for a good selling, stand-alone Parts Pack from AMT? It should consist of newly created parts or a recreation of original parts which are long gone (like the forthcoming '57 Fantasy Parts Pack), but remember to keep it realistic-- it's got to be a small package and sell for $13-$15 or so.

I propose:

1) 1/25 scale snowplow from (or similar to) the old MPC Jeep Commando, maybe add an amber rotating beacon style(?) roof light or two with transparent amber domes?

MPCJeepCommandoPlowvi-vi.jpg.9726f039f17219c455f4fedaa62442ef.jpg

2) The Yard Tractor Parts Pack: Wheel Horse tractor found in the MPC Indy Turbine kit(s). If just one is included, the MSRP would/should be less:

IndyWHeelHorse.jpg.fc9a9f213be969e0bea12ef12e2d8a46.jpg

3) Vintage Drag Strip Parts Pack: Mini bike from one of the MPC or AMT kits (maybe the forthcoming '86 El Camino?) and a few oil cans,  two toolboxes, a floor jack, wheel chocks, or instead a starting line 'Christmas tree' like the one from the MPC '72 GTO, but all-new, with transparent bulbs/lenses in red, amber, and green? Maybe a decal sheet of vintage sponsor logos and vintage style class numbers and letters?

4) Vintage Service Truck Parts Pack: Two 55-gallon drums, push broom (both similar to those found in the AMT Ford C-600 Stakebed kit, but not necssisarily direct copies), a few oil cans,  two toolboxes, a floor jack, wheel chocks, etc.-- things they could add to add extra value just about any pickup truck or van reissue.

Just now, unclescott58 said:

I'd like to see more of MPC kits come back that all accessories already in them. Like the Commando above. Or the '69 Bonneville hardtop with the canoe and roof rack. The '69 Grand Prix with skis, ski racks, and snow tires. The '68 Dodge Coronet with the U-Haul style trailer. And many others. That was always one of the fun things with several MPC kits in the 60's. The extras. 

All of this plus modern wheels and tires

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

I suspect most people are comfortable changing out the wheels and tires on a kit with those from a Parts Pack, but an entire engine might be more daunting for the average builder. These Parts Packs still have to have some appeal to the non-enthusiast builder/consumer, so leaning more toward the generic/universal side of things seems, to me at least, to make more sense from a sales potential perspective. That probably doesn't appeal to most of us reading this, but the ability to sell (and ideally, sell out of however many are produced) what is designed has to be considered from the start.

Though I have no research or numbers to back it up, I'd frankly be very surprised to learn that most "average" builders buy anything in aftermarket parts.

To me, an "average" builder is someone who puts a couple kits together. finds out it's not all that easy, makes a glooey mess, and gives up.

The "enthusiast" builders are, I believe, what the majority of the kits of older subjects issued in recent years have been aimed at.

Non-"enthusiasts" aren't going to even KNOW what half the stuff is, or why anybody would want it.