Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Parts Packs - Your Ideas & Suggestions?

I've often wondered why they haven't come out with something more for big rigs.  How about releasing some of the dump bodies, cement mixers, or flatbed bodies they already have tooled up.  I know italeri has a couple of truck detail sets for mostly European trucks, I wonder how well something like that would sell for American trucks?  Also curious to know how well the moebius truck wheel and tire sets sell/sold.  In a slightly smaller world, how about a utility bed, or one ton dump body,etc.  Just throwing my few ideas in the ring.

32 minutes ago, chris02719 said:

I've often wondered why they haven't come out with something more for big rigs.  How about releasing some of the dump bodies, cement mixers, or flatbed bodies they already have tooled up.  I know italeri has a couple of truck detail sets for mostly European trucks, I wonder how well something like that would sell for American trucks?  Also curious to know how well the moebius truck wheel and tire sets sell/sold.  In a slightly smaller world, how about a utility bed, or one ton dump body,etc.  Just throwing my few ideas in the ring.

Probably an excellent idea. Some of the big-truck guys are very 'serious' modelers, and spend real money on aftermarket bits, plus, many of them scratchbuild some beautiful stuff. It would seem that there really IS a market for what you suggest. I'm just getting into big trucks, and I'd certainly buy some interesting alternative bodies.

How about some decal sheets? Pin striping, scallops, racing stripes, seat inserts for specific kits, instrument clusters, sponsor decals for race cars.

How about some upgrade sets for specific kits? Tamiya does this very well, so could Round 2.

What about aftermarket seat sets like Corbeau, Sparco, and Recaro?

Edited by ZTony8

24 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

How about some decal sheets? Pin striping, scallops, racing stripes, seat inserts for specific kits, instrument clusters, sponsor decals for race cars.

Round2 already has a few parts pack style decal sheets available, but nothing drag specific...yet. I hope they release a drag specific sheet, as some of their kit sheets ('56 Ford Victoria for one) are excellent, with many vintage speed equipment logos, all crisp and well-registered, unlike many vintage decal sheets:

CnCdecals.thumb.jpg.b880d82bac11a14be6462b30f22f2d6d.jpg

MKA022.thumb.jpg.865e32d28b190350f8f3be431d911d83.jpg

Edited by Casey

I would buy a parts pack that had a slew of nice custom and aftermarket air filters.

Another thing I have been wanting for the longest time is a skid steer or compact excavator on a small trailer. That would go very nicely behind the Lindberg 4X4 F-150. If  that cannot happen, then maybe a quad to drop into the pickup bed. I bought the dirt bikes. I'd buy the quad too.

8 minutes ago, plastic trucker said:

How about the wrecker and fire truck bodies that came with the I think MPC '70 or '72 Chevy pickups.

IMO, they were not very accurate and lacked real detail. I think we are overdue a "new" wrecker kit, either a rendition of an old Holmes 440 single line bed or a modern hydraulic wheel lift bed that could be put behind a pickup truck.

18 hours ago, chris02719 said:

I've often wondered why they haven't come out with something more for big rigs.  How about releasing some of the dump bodies, cement mixers, or flatbed bodies they already have tooled up. 

Good idea. I am fully behind a stand-alone vintage cement mixer to (ideally) be used with AMT's early '70s tractor kits. I think it would be closer to $25-$30 retail, but that's probably not a huge deterrent to big truck builders.

The AMT Ford LN-series truck has been outfitted four ways (tractor, cargo box/delivery, ramp truck, and dump bed/plow), the Ford C-600/800 a few ways (tractor, cargo box/delivery, flatbed), so I think it would make a lot of sense.

23 minutes ago, Jack L said:

the bonus 1/24  moon buggy from space 1999 nucler waste kit mpc860 it is a 6  wheel anphicat from the late 60s . it is on its on tree 

I asked Round2 about doing just that after I posted this, and it sounds like it will eventually be released on its own:

On 2/18/2018 at 8:26 AM, Snake45 said:

And speaking of the gangbusters, how about a set of guns? Or maybe guns, tools, and stuffed animals, something like that? Oh, and a gun rack or two for the back window of pickups. 

I would go for something like that also since they could also be used in police vehicles that are lacking those options, but I also like to use shotguns as a custom shifter in some of my big rig builds.

HPIM3006.jpg.b83d5c20e452de7c3bf97017edfac08e.jpg

On 2/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, chris02719 said:

On 2/18/2018 at 8:26 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Probably an excellent idea. Some of the big-truck guys are very 'serious' modelers, and spend real money on aftermarket bits, plus, many of them scratchbuild some beautiful stuff. It would seem that there really IS a market for what you suggest. I'm just getting into big trucks, and I'd certainly buy some interesting alternative bodies.

Add to that list wrecker bodies Chris. Though the only wrecker body that AMT ever made I would like to have is the Holmes 750 (I think but I know it is a Holmes unit) from the 1/43rd scale Peterbilt wrecker, 

s-l1000.jpg.1b855b9d867c8bfb37788194d884d4ce.jpg

I would love to see Revell put out a Parts Pack of their two wrecker bodies as well as Italeri make a parts pack of their wrecker body. 

50e479fca7689975e030916a5451868d--peterbilt-model-car.jpg.0d82b0daa04d5a6c1f741c9317069f1f.jpg

box_art.jpg.e62590b86ed8331769cfab94859527df.jpg

71AuxO9gi-L._SX522_.jpg.e7503a10c3a76942b7c3cb5b0fb8148c.jpg

Also to somewhat answer your question about the Moebius wheel and tire set, that was a big hit for me. I have four sets and whenever I find a set lonely at the hobby shop, they follow me home! 

A more modern medium duty truck would be most welcome, along with some different bodies for it- rollback, wrecker, dump, box, utility, boom truck. I know there are plastic models of promo trucks with these beds on them, but it sure would be nice to have them available to build.

Back to the topic, having the truck parts mentioned- dump bed from the AMT Ford LN8000, the wrecker beds from the Revell kits, mixer drums from the AMT/Ertl kits- all make some kind of sense if they can be done in small runs profitably.

Resto-mods and pro-touring are very popular. So right off the top of my head, modern wheel/tire sets, remote gauge accessories, modern engines from each of the big three. Ford 5.2 Coyote, Dodge 6.2 Hemi , Chevy LT5, all supercharged of course. A real nice set of aftermarket style disc brakes. 

Turbos, pro-chargers, etc, etc.

Fender flares to fit some of their more popular muscle cars. Combined with wheels/tires like some of the Asian companies are making available for their tuner kits.

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this, and the tooling already exists as separate parts from the original kit they came in...

The big and little wide whites from the new tool AlaKart!!!

I know saying new tool AlaKart around the hobby is likely to get you kicked in the shins, but the tires in that kit are excellent. And the tooling for those parts is separate from the rest of the tool. How do I know? Well, obviously the tires themselves are because they're vinyl, but the whitewall inserts are separate because they came in white plastic while the rest of the tool was grey.

So please, Round2, dig these out! Easy money!

I'm not sure if this has been done already,  but I haven't seen them, if they have.

I'm really needing some stock polyglas or radial tires in sizes from the 1970s (P235/70R15) - With thin white walls centered in the tire! You know,  the kind that all of the Cadillacs, Tbirds, Gran Torinos and LTDs used to wear back then.  And not the Firestone Supremes or Silvertowns that we have parts boxes overflowing with. They'd have to be stamped with the white wall on them, because only the cheap, bottom of the line cars came with black walls back then.
I'd also like good representations of big and little tires from the 1970's like Mickey Thompson, Pro Trac, BF Goodrich radials (they looked different from the TAs produced from the 1980s to now) and ACCURATE Rally GTs! Tires like the back pair issued in the AMT Baldwin Motion Camaro would be great.

And some accurate Good Year Wingfoot (with the thin line around them), Radial GTs (outline white letters) , Eagle GTs (OWL),  Eagle STs (solid white letters,  they originally came in the Revell 34 Ford street rod snap kit, but I haven't seen them in anything else since.)

By accurate,  I mean with tread that mimics the original pattern on those tires! Not the smoothed over side walls of the old Polyglas GTs with "Radial GT" stamped onto them. Radial tires don't look like bias plies, folks!

They could amortize the cost by running these tires in parts pack sets first - and then put them in the model kits for the era the represent afterwards. They wouldn't become obsolete, because they are part of the history of those cars. Many of the tires I mentioned were OEM equipment when new.

Street Machines, Street Freaks and Street rods in the 1970s ran the Mickey Ts, Pro Trac 50s & 60s and Rally GTs. Late 70s Corvettes, Trans Ams, Z28s used G/Y Radial GTs. Third gen. Trans Ams and Z28s used Eagle GTs.
So every reissue of those kits can include those tires and ALWAYS be accurate.

What do you think? Parts packs of new tire sets. 8 or 12 to a pack would be great!

Edited by Oldcarfan27