Model Cars Magazine Forum

SLOW BUILDER

I was just wondering if anyone else but me takes so long to build a truck tractor model.  I have been working on building A 1/25 PETERBILT 359 model for about three years,  using a AMT kit and using parts from a REVELL snap kit and also scratch building a number of parts to make it and accurate 1980 PETERBILT 359. I got the info from TIMS TRUCKS and researching the web  before I started building it.  I really enjoy building but I get into building streaks for short periods of time then I get into short and sometimes long downtimes where I don't touch the project at all. Am I the only one who does this? Is this normal ?

JARRNO88

Yes, you are normal:)

Everyone I know that is in to modelling does this, start a project and get some done on it then get sidetracked by life in general and then when they get the time they will start another project. Sometimes projects are forgotten about and sometimes they just take a long time to finish.
I guy on the Norwegian IPMS board has been builing on his 1:350 model of the Japanese warship Yamato since Sepember 2006 and the last update on the thread was in 2012 and he is still not done with it.

Same for me. I’m “involved” in my hobby on a near daily basis, but it’s 90% dreaming and 10% doing. That may even be underestimating the time spent in “research and development” - the bulk of which is time on this forum. But that’s perfectly fine. It’s a hobby - no rules, no deadlines, no expectations - just true enjoyment...unlike the rest of life.

2 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Same for me. I’m “involved” in my hobby on a near daily basis, but it’s 90% dreaming and 10% doing. That may even be underestimating the time spent in “research and development” - the bulk of which is time on this forum. But that’s perfectly fine. It’s a hobby - no rules, no deadlines, no expectations - just true enjoyment...unlike the rest of life.

Same for me, I love parts hunting for a project I see finished in my mind, then I loose interest, and I'm digging into something else, but I'm happy :D

Thanks everyone.  I now see that I am not the only one who builds like this.  What I now  did is open up another PETE 359 I that I wasn't planning to start until I finished the 1980 359, but maybe after I work on it for a while it will get me motivated to get finish building what I have started.  I also spend a lot of time ,almost every day  dreaming etc. instead of model building.  I would love to get something finished and add to my empty spaces in my display cabinet.

JARRNO88 

21 hours ago, Ben said:

The way I see it, the longer it takes, the better I get at building and better parts become available to make the build even better.

This is very true.  When I started the IH, I was planning on scratch building the dumpbody.  Thank goodness there is so much available these days and that I've learned a lot over the years that makes the builds better.  If I had finished the IH in the 80's it would need to be re-done now or just thrown in the trash.

I don't do trucks but I do like to take my time with a build.  Why?  Because building is the fun for me.  I don't get any great kick out of finishing a model.  Competing with one is some fun but that is only good for a one competitive season as far as I am concerned. I just love creating something from a kit or sometimes nothing.  Longest build was 5 years of continuous building.  Just the way it is.  If you are enjoying building then your doing the right thing.  How long it takes means nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad you posted this subject, for the last 45 years I have been building almost non stop but haven’t finished any project in 45 years ! The enjoyment has always been there in all facets of the hobby, including the finish part but for various reasons something gets in the way until my current project, a Kenworth K125 Australian Road Train. The truck is a scratched conversion from the AMT kit, no aftermarket conversion parts,. Unlike all my builds to this point I’m doing what I haven’t in the past , fixing things , changing things and stopping when I get to a stumbling block and going back to it and figuring things out to get it finished! Because of the amount of ours I have into it (250 and counting) I have deviated on a couple of other projects but I am getting closer to the end with out the usual interest burnout ! Yes you are normal as it turns out , I thought I was one of the few and not the many.

• 1 month later...

It's your hobby, do what makes you happy.

Some folks collect, some kitbash, others only build right out of the box. Some only like to do bodywork,  some only like painting, some like superdetailing. Some like building mutiple curbsides for their shelf, other's pay to buy diecast builtups on their shelf.

It's up to you how far you want to go. If it's not fun, it's not a HOBBY so why bother?

I am absolutely a slow builder. I just finished one build that I worked on for about 2 years, and another one that was in progress for almost 35 years. The nice thing about building models, is that you do not have to answer to anyone but yourself. I like to share my builds with other people of a like mind, but the ONLY person I try to please is myself. If it takes too long, so be it. ENJOY!