Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Javelin Mark Donahue

Sport Suburban

Here is a 70 Javelin Mark Donahue edition that I finished in 2016 but didn’t get to posting it. This was one of my long going projects that I started in 2010. Almost all resin. So it is not a restoration but more of a recreation. Decals are Fred Cady. Glass is from a damaged promo. Engine is mostly Johan. Wheels and tires are AMT. the rest is resin.

93C4EF1D-3913-4531-87C1-47BA389EB2C4.jpeg

2DC7BBAF-C841-4F85-9339-650F26868286.jpeg

3C4BB307-C056-46EC-AFC9-4FA92080A859.jpeg

FFAD31E9-53B2-4996-B5B1-9A2FDB9F9B93.jpeg

61ADE56D-DAA2-49F2-8788-AE8AD592F724.jpeg

61D3DDBB-587E-4D79-AF27-67ABDBD5C5DD.jpeg

Absolutely fabulous--my favorite build of yours yet, and that's saying something. 

I have a glue bomb to restore and believe it or not I'm planning to do it almost exactly like this. (Not sure if I'm gonna use the stripe or not.) Thanks for the sneak preview! 

57 minutes ago, Mister 4x4 said:

Nice!  Are those stripes on the side decals, or did you mask & paint, or what?  The car looks awesome!

They are from Fred Cady. An old sheet I had picked up along the way. Funny part was it had both black stripes and only one white side. Other side was missing from the print.

2 hours ago, Drag Monster said:

Beautiful Work on a rare kit. Love the color "Bittersweet Orange" but I must say i'm a bit bias. I once owned a 70 in the same color. I would love to find this kit at a fair price I do have a promo but there is nothing like having a full detail kit. Very nice build!!

70 Javelin.jpg

Awesome! I also picked this one up to rebuild. It will become a dealer issued Trans Am version. I now have all the parts I need to build this one too.

34CA89B8-E4AA-41B9-A406-38E0D91B5A3F.jpeg

D0978956-7160-44BC-8A4D-F24FCF3614A1.jpeg

3E8726E2-08C1-41EA-A1E5-BED42CD6A367.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Sport Suburban said:

Awesome! I also picked this one up to rebuild. It will become a dealer issued Trans Am version. I now have all the parts I need to build this one too.

34CA89B8-E4AA-41B9-A406-38E0D91B5A3F.jpeg

D0978956-7160-44BC-8A4D-F24FCF3614A1.jpeg

Fabulous! I assume you have the hood? 

If that were mine, I'd restore it as-is and preserve it as part of modeling history. I've done several restorations of this sort, and I'm starting to find them just as satisfying as my own new builds. This one has good enough "bones" I could easily work with it and turn it into something fairly nice. But hey, that's just me. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Fabulous! I assume you have the hood? 

If that were mine, I'd restore it as-is and preserve it as part of modeling history. I've done several restorations of this sort, and I'm starting to find them just as satisfying as my own new builds. This one has good enough "bones" I could easily work with it and turn it into something fairly nice. But hey, that's just me. 

I have one cut from a promo and fitted to this one. Plus I have stock wheels and tires for it also. I think I have a stock engine for it now. I originally bought this for the glass to finish the above build. I stripped it and it was nicer that the resin body kit I started with so that is when I decided to restore this one as well.

1 hour ago, Sport Suburban said:

I have one cut from a promo and fitted to this one. Plus I have stock wheels and tires for it also. I think I have a stock engine for it now. I originally bought this for the glass to finish the above build. I stripped it and it was nicer that the resin body kit I started with so that is when I decided to restore this one as well.

Well, since it's a racer, I'd just paint the hood matte black, put a lump on it, and do it as a Modified Production. MP would also give you more freedom with the engine. 

I would LOVE to restore this one! It would look fabulous!