Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mild custom 56 300

yellowsportwagon

On the Wheels, you mentioned Bullets and I'm not sure if that is a single big bullet. A style years ago was called a "Spider" that had a chrome cover over the Lug Nuts and the center had a small bullet. To give you an idea of what I'm thinking, the mounting was held in place by the Lug Nuts. The chrome cover had small almost unseen screws that attached the chrome cover to the mounting bracket. These first started appearing in the '50's about the time that Chrome Wheels were becoming common. These would hide the Lug Nuts that usually weren't so pretty.   

Very cool and well done!!!  I'm building a 56 300 as well.  I agree, very nice kit and I will build other Moebius kits!!!  I really love the color combo on yours!!!????????

On 2/23/2018 at 10:52 AM, espo said:

On the Wheels, you mentioned Bullets and I'm not sure if that is a single big bullet. A style years ago was called a "Spider" that had a chrome cover over the Lug Nuts and the center had a small bullet. To give you an idea of what I'm thinking, the mounting was held in place by the Lug Nuts. The chrome cover had small almost unseen screws that attached the chrome cover to the mounting bracket. These first started appearing in the '50's about the time that Chrome Wheels were becoming common. These would hide the Lug Nuts that usually weren't so pretty.   

Espo, I think this is what you're referring to. A single chromed dish would be called a baby moon when it's just large enough in diameter to cover the lug nuts. 

Spider-Caps-Wheel.jpg.98cb56e0cced14255a1804c175180f6a.jpg

Hope this helps some...

Mike 

5 hours ago, mecklm said:

Espo, I think this is what you're referring to. A single chromed dish would be called a baby moon when it's just large enough in diameter to cover the lug nuts. 

Hope this helps some...

Mike 

What I’m looking for is smithing like this. It is a center cap that would slide in from the back of the wheel covers just the hub opening

D94FCAAF-7288-4AB4-89AC-28D39BC68227.png

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, mecklm said:

Hope this helps some...

Mike 

That's exactly what I was trying to describe. Thank you Mike.

19 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

What I’m looking for is smithing like this. It is a center cap that would slide in from the back of the wheel covers just the hub opening

D94FCAAF-7288-4AB4-89AC-28D39BC68227.png

I know that these are used in the 1:1 world on "Mag" wheels to cover the outer front wheel bearing that will usually extend beyond the wheel center. As for our modeling this might be something you will have to create from plastic.