Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone familiar with what material this is?

So I was browsing a Japanese scale modelling site, I can't understand Japanese but the pictures I think are worth looking through anyway.  

I came across this thing and I was wondering if you guys are familiar with what this is.  I wish I had some as it would be useful to me.    

What I'm asking about is in the link below.  The guy puts something that looks green unto the car body prior to applying putty.  It seems to allow him to remove the epoxy putty from the body after it dries so he can form it.

http://www.mokeden.jp/kousaku/fairlady240zg/fairlady240zg-3.htm

Edited by Top.Secret

It's "Mr Masking Sol Neo" from Mr Hobby. It's a liquid masking agent. Most often used to keep paint off an area where you don't want it. There are similar products from other companies. 

For what he's using it for,  Bare Metal Foil also works. It's thinner, which is good. It can also be easier to find, if you like buying from local shops. I have used it when making air intake scoops on WWII aircraft. 

Edited by LDO
Grammar

3 hours ago, Top.Secret said:

The guy puts something that looks green unto the car body prior to applying putty.  It seems to allow him to remove the epoxy putty from the body after it dries so he can form it.

Whatever the trade or brand name may be, it's polyvinyl alcohol, or PVA (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH PVA GLUE, which is polyvinyl acetate...white glue like Elmer's and various canopy and clear parts glues).

Polyvinyl alcohol is a water-soluble mold release agent / liquid masking film, routinely used in the composites industry (fiberglass). I use gallons of the stuff.

Though it's a clear chemical, it's also available (the usual choice) tinted a dark green so you can easily see where it's been applied.

partall10-1-173x300.jpg         http://www.rexco-usa.com/polyvinyl-alcohol-pva-based-parting-films/

The nose of this plug has just been sprayed with PVA here...when it's sprayed all you see is a slight greenish tint on the surface that gets deeper with each coat.

DSCN5414_zpsncgvaorh.jpg

Then a mold is laid up over it...

DSCN5454_zpscefualoo.jpg

And presto-chango, now it pops off with no damage to the plug...

DSCN5459_zpsgogkanzh.jpg

TRANSLATION NOTE: You can copy and paste any foreign language text into Google Translate, and it will spit out a translation in English. It's free, but the translations are sometimes a little clunky, and not always idiomatically or syntactically correct.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Chrome browser (which I do not use) supposedly has automatic translation built-in. I usually go to translate.google.com, select language and just stuff the website's URL in the text box. Google will translate the entire website for you.  It is not perfect and with some languages (like Japanese) the translations can be very awkward and often funny.