Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting Engine Parts

A good thing to do is to do your spraying of the engine, transmission, etc, & then come back & do your detail painting.

After the details are all picked out, a shot of clear lacquer over the top of the entire engine will ensure that the details that you added will not be rubbed off from handling.

Just be sure to use a clear that is compatible with the paint that you used for the engine & the details.

Testors clear lacquers are a good choice & will play well with nearly any kind of paint.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

18 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

I use a satin clear, unless the car is a show car the engine is rarely shiny ,

Depending on the type of paint you use for the engine color, gloss clear can be ok as well.

I use flat colors for engines, so a coat or 2 of gloss will dry in a less than high gloss finish.

Plus, if you use a wash to replicate light grime, that will eliminate some of the gloss also.

I like the parts like the air cleaner to be a little shinier than the rest of the engine too.

Steve

2v2JUcV24xwUbWP.jpg

2 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

I lean towards a flat or satin finish. This is the 327 I had in my daily driver '55 2-dr post way back when.

A lot of it depends on what you are trying to replicate.

A showroom stock build should have some gloss to a good portion of the engine parts.

Steve

16 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

A lot of it depends on what you are trying to replicate.

A showroom stock build should have some gloss to a good portion of the engine parts.

Steve

Here’s a couple pics of a 1:1 1970 Boss 302 that we just finished up putting together. It shows various finishes. Gloss, satin, flat and metallic. 

Dennis

350EE636-3B73-4CDE-8701-C5B08347F3A4.jpeg

046BF01D-B05E-423D-88C2-F37195EC1509.jpeg