Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chevy Nomad - revell

freddy_fo

• 1 year later...

Well, I got busy with other things as happens when it gets warm then forgot about the nomad till a few weeks ago. Was bothering me that I had a box with an almost built car.  One of the reasons I walked away for a bit is that I got a bit frustrated with re-chroming some of the bigger parts. The alclad base coat just wouldn't cure and even a year later was still tacky. Either I got a bad batch of the base coat or I did something wrong. So I went back to ebay to see if I could find a parts kit with chrome in good/decent condition and eventually found what I wanted. When I got the parts kit the chrome still had issues but not nearly as bad as what was in my original kit.

Masking and painting flames was a bad idea. Very difficult to smooth out the ridges and if one looks closely you can still see them in the finished product. Next time it's decals. Lastly I learned that foil gets dull if you gloss coat over it. Usually it's the last thing I put down but I also have issues with the foil lifting over time from handling so I thought I'd use the gloss to help keep it in place especially given the large amount of chrome trim unlike every other build I've done since I was a teenager. 

Anyways here is the final product. Pardon the dust but it's near impossible to get it all off for pics... believe me I tried.

20190826_162949.thumb.jpg.8da9ee78e19d6b01a9351e147d33cbfd.jpg20190826_162901.thumb.jpg.61ad97a59455f09eafdece25d70aba89.jpg20190826_171438.thumb.jpg.61a6125e0fd687d54b1bfd1e9a8a3b80.jpg

20190826_163119.jpg

20190826_171456.jpg

20190826_171828.jpg

20190826_163042.jpg

Hmmm, I didn't notice that. With the different grill and it painted black that may create a bigger look on mine.

Is the 73 issue the root beer colored plastic? I believe it was re-issued in 78 which is what is on the box of the donor kit I wound up purchasing.  I'd actually hoped to use the body from it but when it got to me  some of the pillars were cracked. Those are very tricky to keep together once glued from all the flexing and manhandling I tend to do so I just stuck with my original body. Interestingly there was a casting issue with the dash where on the left side of the cluster there is hole. Same issue on both the 78 and 85 version. 

Have you started on your nomad yet? 

It looks pretty good for the God awful kit you started with!  ?

Be careful with the chrome spears that go on top of the back fenders. They have an awful fit, and if I was going to do it again, I'd mold them in prior to painting and just BMF 'em.

Mvc-001s

This was one of my favorite cars as a kid.  And this box art got me into the model.  As an 11-12-13 year old, I never actually got it all assembled. I'd always get stuck at some point and give it up. Then the next year I'd see the box and buy it again, reasoning I was a year older and up to the challenge.  Um, nope!

So once I started building as an adult, I built the AMT '57 Ford and did fairly well on it.  So I figured I'd build the Nomad as a shelf mate.  I put a lot of earnest effort into it but still have it in parts, never finished.  Recently I agreed to finish it up as part of the "Bring Out Your Dead" group.  I have it out on my bench, but am finishing up two other projects before I dig in.  

I met Bob Paeth at the GSL one year and he told me the story about releasing this car. We became friendly and for the next GSL, I folded up and packed this box top. Bob was kind enough to sign it for me  (see in the sand).  So I will always treasure this box!

Back when Dean Milano still worked at Revell, I had suggested to him that they release the kit but WITH the decals to do the Hollingsworth car's flames like on the box.  And to use the original boxart! He said that Revell was so broke at that time that they couldn't even finance a decal sheet!  So that never happened.

Later on Danbury Mint was going to do the Hollingsworth car about the same time the 1:1 recreation was built.  That was right when their Chinese partner when kaput, which ended the entire vehicle program.   Speaking with Rick Hanmore, he said the furthest they got for the project is that they had a completed prototype.  And in the end they gave it to the car's owner as a gift for giving them access to the car.   I definitely would've bought one of those!

Looking forward to seeing yours completed!   Then maybe I'll work on mine!  

As the others have said you really turned this sow's ear into a silk purse.  The flames look good, maybe if they had been one or two shades lighter so they would be more pronounced may have worked better.  Or another possibility is to outline them with a contrasting color, a real fine red line would work.  Either way this is one beautiful build.

36 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

It looks pretty good for the God awful kit you started with!  ?

Be careful with the chrome spears that go on top of the back fenders. They have an awful fit, and if I was going to do it again, I'd mold them in prior to painting and just BMF 'em.

Mvc-001s

This was one of my favorite cars as a kid.  And this box art got me into the model.  As an 11-12-13 year old, I never actually got it all assembled. I'd always get stuck at some point and give it up. Then the next year I'd see the box and buy it again, reasoning I was a year older and up to the challenge.  Um, nope!

So once I started building as an adult, I built the AMT '57 Ford and did fairly well on it.  So I figured I'd build the Nomad as a shelf mate.  I put a lot of earnest effort into it but still have it in parts, never finished.  Recently I agreed to finish it up as part of the "Bring Out Your Dead" group.  I have it out on my bench, but am finishing up two other projects before I dig in.  

I met Bob Paeth at the GSL one year and he told me the story about releasing this car. We became friendly and for the next GSL, I folded up and packed this box top. Bob was kind enough to sign it for me  (see in the sand).  So I will always treasure this box!

Back when Dean Milano still worked at Revell, I had suggested to him that they release the kit but WITH the decals to do the Hollingsworth car's flames like on the box.  And to use the original boxart! He said that Revell was so broke at that time that they couldn't even finance a decal sheet!  So that never happened.

Later on Danbury Mint was going to do the Hollingsworth car about the same time the 1:1 recreation was built.  That was right when their Chinese partner when kaput, which ended the entire vehicle program.   Speaking with Rick Hanmore, he said the furthest they got for the project is that they had a completed prototype.  And in the end they gave it to the car's owner as a gift for giving them access to the car.   I definitely would've bought one of those!

Looking forward to seeing yours completed!   Then maybe I'll work on mine!  

Cool stories there. Thanks for sharing. I too had the nomad as a young teenager (mid 80s release) and loved that car although I really just slapped it together in raw form as was my modus operandi back then:D  It met it's demise sitting on the rear deck of my Uncle's car on a hot sunny day while we were at the zoo. 

17 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

As the others have said you really turned this sow's ear into a silk purse.  The flames look good, maybe if they had been one or two shades lighter so they would be more pronounced may have worked better.  Or another possibility is to outline them with a contrasting color, a real fine red line would work.  Either way this is one beautiful build.

Thank you for the nice words. I think next time I'll just source some decals but most of what I build wouldn't look right in flames. I suppose if I get a desire to build the other donor kit I would definitely go the decal route.

15 minutes ago, freddy_fo said:

Cool stories there. Thanks for sharing. I too had the nomad as a young teenager (mid 80s release) and loved that car although I really just slapped it together in raw form as was my modus operandi back then:D  It met it's demise sitting on the rear deck of my Uncle's car on a hot sunny day while we were at the zoo. 

Thanks Freddy!  Always glad to talk with people interested in the same kits!

I will finish mine, just for history's sake.  If I was to build a nice one,  I'd go to the latest Revell toolings of these cars.  Take their newest '57 Chevy and mate it with their '56 Chevy nomad.  That would allow for a modern detailed model!   

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Thanks Freddy!  Always glad to talk with people interested in the same kits!

I will finish mine, just for history's sake.  If I was to build a nice one,  I'd go to the latest Revell toolings of these cars.  Take their newest '57 Chevy and mate it with their '56 Chevy nomad.  That would allow for a modern detailed model!   

I have the newer 57 chevy kit (California wheels)... I used it for the wheels on the nomad LOL. Was thinking to build that with my son after I finish my next project. Tooling is definitely a step up and the decal flames are very nice albeit only for the sides.