[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Status   07/20/2018

Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
slusher

Looking for tips on adding detail to a black interiors?

I was wondering how other builders add detail to older and newer black interior

/

Edited by slusher

One way to bring out the detail is to pick out the high spots in a slightly lighter shade, either by dry brushing, or a very light spray with an airbrush.   Some materials with also have different finishes.  Some will have a gloss finish, some will be semigloss, and others will have a full matte finish.

Sometimes mixing a dark grey with your black paint for the interior looks nice. Especially if you offset that with a black flocking or vice Vera.

I keep about 8 or 9 different variants of black paint on hand such as Humbrol, Testors, Model Master, and Tamiya and others in matt black, semi gloss, black chrome, rubber, etc. They are all slightly different, and by painting various parts of the interior in different shades of black, it avoids the 'everything from the same can' problem.

27 minutes ago, Bainford said:

I keep about 8 or 9 different variants of black paint on hand such as Humbrol, Testors, Model Master, and Tamiya and others in matt black, semi gloss, black chrome, rubber, etc. They are all slightly different, and by painting various parts of the interior in different shades of black, it avoids the 'everything from the same can' problem.

Same here.  It's fun trying to get some variations on that drab and boring "Black Hole" look that a black interior can sometimes have.

Here's one paint set I have that helps, the Lifecolor "Black Rubber Shades & Co."  These range from a blue-grayish-black (Vulcanized Rubber) to a very dark flat black (Deep Cockpit).  These are acrylics. Straight from the bottle they're thick, but they thin down well and work great with either brush-painting or airbrushing.

blks.jpg

Ever try using flat black and when dry rubbing the side of your nose with a finger and then rubbing the paint?  Gives it a leather look.  Remember - side of nose NOT inside it.

Carl, I paint with acrylics for the most part. I have a variety of different black paints, which differ somewhat in tone but mostly in sheen/lustre. Many of my paints are Tamiya brand. I use their Gloss, Semi-gloss, Flat, Nato Black, Tire Black along with a few others. By using a variety, it seems to break up what be an entire semi-gloss black interior. It is more painting, as long as you don't mind that. LOL :D

6 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Ever try using flat black and when dry rubbing the side of your nose with a finger and then rubbing the paint?  Gives it a leather look.  Remember - side of nose NOT inside it.

Never tried it myself, however I did hear of it as the oils on the side of your nose rubbed onto the black can change the look.