Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 GTX

PlymouthFan

18 minutes ago, PlymouthFan said:

I’ve read many reviews on here but I’m curious which of the 69 GTX kits is the most accurate besides the Johan kit 

Well, there are really only two choices, and when it comes to the bodies, JO-HAN is #1. Best answer is to combine the JO-HAN GTX body with the chassis and engine from another more modern, better detailed kit like the AMT '68-9 Mopar B-bodies or the Revell '68-9 Chargers. JO-HAN chassis and engines are outdated and not great for detail IMHO, so best to replace them with those I suggested. Yes, you're going to have to spend $50+ right out of the gate, but it's worth it in the end.

The various releases of the AMT '69 GTX are all the same basic kit, so other than the Pro Street chassis under one, all the same kit. The newer Round2 releases usually have extras like pad printed tires and better decals sheets which the older (pre-2012 or so) reissues did not have, but the older kits are usually a bit cheaper on eBay, etc.

59 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Be careful. some of the AMT 1969 GTX kits have a 1968 hood

But yes the Johan is light years ahead of any issue of the AMT kit. Problem is you will pay dearly for a Johan 69 GTX kit ( I know I did )