Model Cars Magazine Forum

More Wheel ID?

I'm not much of a Ford enthusiast, so I was hoping that someone could give me some insight on these wheels.

They seem to be very prevalent on both '66 & '67 Fords.

Is this a "carry over" wheel option from the 1966 to 1967 models?

I'm seeing just as many of them on '67s as '66s.

I ask because my AMT '67 Ford kit includes both these, & the stock '67 hubcaps, & it will help me make a decision as to what I will use.

There also seems to be quite a few with Magnum style wheels in '67.

Was this also a factory option, or was '67 too early for those wheels?

Steve

image.png.986656cfe6c5037345bb85191dc287b2.pngimage.png.c23f3b9996fe257f52f69e505758179a.png

image.png.70ae64bbec32d12c61c4a8ec124be073.png

I don't recall seeing Mag 500s on Fords in '67. I think they were still using their own "styled steel wheel," the ones I used to call the "forked mags."

I think the first time I saw Mag 500s on Fords (factory) was in '69 with the Boss Mustangs, and they had distinctive short center caps.  But I'm by no means an expert on Ford stuff; others will know more.

Those wheel covers originated in '66 with the 7-Litre package in '66.  The '66 annual kits had them, but not the '67.  '67 annuals had regular Galaxie wheel covers that were used later on pickups.  The optional wheel in the '67 and '68 kits was a Kelsey-Hayes Mag Star, which I don't think was ever OE on anything.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Those wheel covers originated in '66 with the 7-Litre package in '66.  The '66 annual kits had them, but not the '67.  '67 annuals had regular Galaxie wheel covers that were used later on pickups.  The optional wheel in the '67 and '68 kits was a Kelsey-Hayes Mag Star, which I don't think was ever OE on anything.

Ok.

They're so close that even after looking at them side by side, I still can't see much of a difference between the '66 wheel covers & the ones in the '67 kit.

But I see more of a resemblance to the "Mag Star" wheels.

I can't read the logo on the center cap, but it doesn't look like any sort of factory Ford logo.

So, I guess if I want to keep it stock, I either need to stick with the stock hubcaps, or scrounge a set from the '66 kit?

Steve

image.png.986656cfe6c5037345bb85191dc287b2.png

2v2JbZ2nWxwUbWP.jpg

image.png.cb95012aa806a41e7cbdf714088f9f75.png

58 minutes ago, Mark said:

That, or use the stock wheelcovers in the kit, which are correct if I'm not mistaken.  I mooched one of those (stock '67 piece) off of a buddy to do castings, as those were used later on the pickup trucks--

That's most likely the plan at this point.

But I may be open to using the '66 wheel covers.

I have plenty of time to decide. :)

Steve

59 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The big difference is the depth..the '66 wheel covers are pretty flat, while the Mag Star and Magnum 500 wheels have depth...

Yes, I noticed that.

The '66 pieces, being hub caps, don't have the outer wheel detail like the ones in the '67 kit.

That, plus the fact that the spokes on the '66 caps don't continue all of the way to the wheel hub is a give away.

Steve

I have some of those wheels shown on the chrome tree (Mag Star?)...just can't recall *which* kit I have them with..maybe one of my '67 Galaxie annuals. .there is a modern tooling version of them in the AMT '67 Shelby...I plan to use a set of the ones from the '67 Shelby for a '69 XL..