[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

    • Dave Ambrose

      Board Status   07/20/2018

      Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
slusher

What was the best car or truck you ever owned?

Recommended Posts

I currently own both! The car is a 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS wagon I bought a little over a year ago for 700 bucks. It's the best all-around commuter car I've ever owned, and nothing short of a packed 2-foot-deep snow drift will stop it. Yes, it looks like hell, and yes, it's falling apart, but it's still getting the job done. The truck is a 1994 F-250 XLT I've owned for almost eleven years. The main reason it is no longer my main vehicle is because after a while you get sick of gassing the thing up, and after my '98 Mercury Tracer gave out it was all I had for a couple of years until I got the Impreza. If that F250 ever gives out on me it's not getting scrapped- it's getting a full-on Viking funeral. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yup I gotta agree with you Dann,and 440.I currently have a 2000 XJ.Im running 35x12.5 tires,with a 6 inch Rubicon lift.I have a snorkel,and a nice front bumper from my 93 XJ,that I flipped after being broadsided by some moron woman.,I wanted to keep it simple,and clean looking.I had a roof rack,with a full size spare up top.I took that off,when I almost flipped it running through some tight trails.Older Jeeps are the best.But I hate the new Jeeps they have now,such as the new Cherokee,which is beyond ugly,and looks like it should be running around up on Mars.The only real Jeep nowadays,are the Wranglers..Ive had the 2000 for about five years now,and it's just a great truck.The only other truck besides my Cherokee that I really want to own,would have to be an older Toyota Land Cruiser.Ive always wanted one.The thing is,that there getting up there in price,but I hope I can eventually pick one up.

 

IMG_0058.JPG

OH ya!!!......NICE!!!! next for me is a JCR front bumper with a "stealth Winch", and a 50" LED lightbar. I'm glad you left your side molding on.......just looks better! I finally have to redo my headliner this year also....lol.  I agree, THESE and all the Wranglers ARE the ONLY real jeeps left. My fellow jeep friends and I call the Grand Cherokees: "Grand Cherojunks"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The absolute very best:

My '74 Galaxie. 

Put more than 200.000 kms on her since 2001 whan I bought her, and not once I was left down. 

When I bought the car from her first owner, she had 540.000 kms on the clock. The first owner was a Petrobras Engineer, and he used the Galaxie on the highway doing a once a month trip from Itajaí SC to Rio de Janeiro, RJ. That's a 1000 km trip. Plus the regular in town usage. 

I put the first 120.000 kms on the car still with the original engine. Finally, by the end of 2011 I had to rebuild the engine. It was low on power, and using a LOT of oil. Once opened, it was all standard. FoMoCo on the back of the bearings. FoMoCo pistons... 

Rebuilt the engine and did some upgrades, like booring the block 0,030 over, using a mild Iskenderian E-4 cam, some big valve heads from a '57 Thunderbird, and a four barrel FoMoCo intake manifold. The stock two barrel was replaced with a 1965 vintage Autolite 4100 carburetor, with 1.12 venturies. Clevite pistons, Clevite bearings, on the stock cranck machined to 0,025. Sealed power rings, and Chloeys timing gears and chain. 

Second best: 

My 1991 Avto VAZ-2104.

Most reliable and bullet proof car I ever drove. Used her daily for a very long time. 

Sold in 2000 as I was almost unable to find a new headlight to replace one that was smashed by a rock. The importer just quit providing parts. Today it's still the car I regreat the most having sold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the best vehicle I owned had to be my first- a 1982 Chevy S-10 pickup. It was a bare bones no options truck, not even a radio! I installed a Blaupunkt system from a BMW and it rocked! The truck had a 1.9 liter Isuzu motor that took all kinds of abuse and never gave me any trouble. Drove it for nearly 6 years until I traded it in on a new 1988 S-10 pickup that was the opposite- fully loaded, 4x4, power everything! That was a good truck too, but nothing took the abuse like the first one.

My wife drives a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and it has been the best car we have had in 28 years of marriage. Oil changes, a battery and maintenance is all we have done in 8 years of ownership and 82,000 miles. Garage kept and still shines like new, probably gonna keep it a couple more years before unloading it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

OH ya!!!......NICE!!!! next for me is a JCR front bumper with a "stealth Winch", and a 50" LED lightbar. I'm glad you left your side molding on.......just looks better! I finally have to redo my headliner this year also....lol.  I agree, THESE and all the Wranglers ARE the ONLY real jeeps left. My fellow jeep friends and I call the Grand Cherokees: "Grand Cherojunks"!

Hey thanks Dann,I appreciate it.Yea the Cherokees were the truck that may have saved Jeep back in the day..As I'm sure u know,that every Offroad magazine always had great things to say about them.I mean some of the older ones did have some bad rust and paint issues,but hey it's a Jeep.And some exhaust manifold problems,and rear main seals.And I gotta tell ya,it's hilarious,but my headliner has been trashed since I bought the truck too.Thats really the only thing wrong with the interior I guess,other than being a little dirty,Lol.I'm definitely going to get that done finally,also..Its funny,:D I never met a Cherokee owner who didn't have a problem with their headliner.LOL.They were ALL bad.What was the deal?I guess Jeep used really cheap glue on them.😖And In case you never have,check out NAXJA,,North American XJ Association.Great web site.Have fun on the trails dude.And thanks again for the comments..

Edited by NYLIBUD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SH#% I'm trying to post some more pics of the truck.Also,I actually have a wind visor,I guess you call it,above the windshield.U Cant see it in the pics.But what's strange is,I get asked all the time where to get one.I tell them they can buy one,they are out there.I mean I think Lund shut down,but still..I picked up mine from I guy near me,who made them.Anyway,I think it looks pretty good.Like I said,I wanted to keep it clean and simple looking,or with not a ton of bolt on stuff.Just what's needed.My 93 though was built like a Safari truck in Africa.With a Roof rack,spare,jack,ever kind of light,shovel,and so much more.It suxed that it was flipped.It was a two door Green,5 spd,with the sorta rare pop out side windows.But the floors were almost gone.:(.Cherokees are simply great trucks,period ...A true Classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dann Tier said:

OH ya!!!......NICE!!!! next for me is a JCR front bumper with a "stealth Winch", and a 50" LED lightbar. I'm glad you left your side molding on.......just looks better! I finally have to redo my headliner this year also....lol.  I agree, THESE and all the Wranglers ARE the ONLY real jeeps left. My fellow jeep friends and I call the Grand Cherokees: "Grand Cherojunks"!

big fan of JCR myself in fact still have the rear bumper that was intended for the white one sitting here un welded still, can't speak for the new grands but the ZJ and WJ isn't too horrible to wheel in with V-8 power and comfy interior and when the front axle stuff breaks just replace with XJ stuff, a lot of horrible plastic body trim that really holds water and rots em out bad

Just now, NYLIBUD said:

Hey thanks Dann,I appreciate it.Yea the Cherokees were the truck that may have saved Jeep back in the day..As I'm sure u know,that every Offroad magazine always had great things to say about them.I mean some of the older ones did have some bad rust and paint issues,but hey it's a Jeep.And some exhaust manifold problems,and rear main seals.And I gotta tell ya,it's hilarious,but my headliner has been trashed since I bought the truck too.Thats really the only thing wrong with the interior I guess,other than being a little dirty,Lol.I'm definitely going to get that done finally,also..Its funny,:D I never met a Cherokee owner who didn't have a problem with their headliner.LOL.They were ALL bad.What was the deal?I guess Jeep used really cheap glue on them.😖And In case you never have,check out NAXJA,,North American XJ Association.Great web site.Have fun on the trails dude.And thanks again for the comments..

I 2nd the NAXJA, great site and the headliner was perfect in the white  2000 the other dozen or so that's come and gone well that's another story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYLIBUD said:

SH#% I'm trying to post some more pics of the truck.Also,I actually have a wind visor,I guess you call it,above the windshield.U Cant see it in the pics.But what's strange is,I get asked all the time where to get one.I tell them they can buy one,they are out there.I mean I think Lund shut down,but still..I picked up mine from I guy near me,who made them.Anyway,I think it looks pretty good.Like I said,I wanted to keep it clean and simple looking,or with not a ton of bolt on stuff.Just what's needed.My 93 though was built like a Safari truck in Africa.With a Roof rack,spare,jack,ever kind of light,shovel,and so much more.It suxed that it was flipped.It was a two door Green,5 spd,with the sorta rare pop out side windows.But the floors were almost gone.:(.Cherokees are simply great trucks,period ...A true Classic.

I noticed the Lund sun visor right away, Lund went out of business years ago and the XJ ones are getting hard to come by, in fact I buy almost every one that gets to the local pick a part yard and turn them into hobby dollars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best??  Wow is that a relative term.  If you are talking about longest lasting with the least repair issues then I have to go with almost any of the Toyota or Honda family cars we have owned.  Always reliable, minimal cost to keep on the road and good drivers.

  Worst in that respect would have been my 74 911 Porsche.  Within a month of owning it, it tried to kill me my bursting a fuel line in the engine compartment.  Luckily it happened on startup and the car didn't catch fire.  In 4 years of ownership, the electronic fuel injection went our and I had to tow it 50 miles to the nearest Porsche  dealer to get it fixed, the heat exchangers rusted out and cost $1,000 for parts alone.  In Northern Michigan you don't want to be without heat, and tuneups were ridiculously expensive. The darned thing required 10 quarts of oil to change the oil.  Oh and chain tensioners needed replacement every couple of years.  But it was the most fun to drive in my early years!  Nothing else like it.

My first sports car was as new 72 240Z.  It introduced me to the true fun of sporting cars.  Durable, easy to drive and fun.  Up pretty good car.

All time best though has to be my current car.  A 1993 MR2 Turbo.  I am the second owner had have personally put 100K miles on it.  Never had any major issues with it.  I am currently having it rebuilt with as many OEM parts as I can find, so I can enjoy it for another 20 years.  It is fast, handles like a gokart and really is a looker.  Yup, that is my best choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually also like big 70s,and 80s American cars.Cars we just don't see anymore driving around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

I actually also like big 70s,and 80s American cars.Cars we just don't see anymore driving around.

You mean something like this? It’s a 78 newyourker with a 440. It doesn’t run through.

697E48CE-C27E-4E6E-850D-B9E74FEA3427.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dakota,the Grand Cherokees that you are referring to were Excellent Jeep's.Yea,V8 power,with leather,can't go wrong.Plus they have a complete coil suspension,where the Sport has leafs in the back.Its really just the very new stuff,I don't care for.Especially now that Fiat took over a big part of Jeep's global designing,(ex),no offense to anyone,but as I said before,the new Cherokees,just not my cup of tea....at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 426 pack said:

You mean something like this? It’s a 78 newyourker with a 440. It doesn’t run through.

697E48CE-C27E-4E6E-850D-B9E74FEA3427.jpeg

Yea big azz has guzzler cars.I don't know,maybe cause I grew up with 70s,and 80,s land yachts.Lincols,Caddy,Olds,Plymouths,and station wagons,etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2005 Lincoln Town Car was the best.  Bought it new as a retirement present from me to me and just traded it last August.  

Most fun? Probably the Lincoln's replacement, a 2017 Nissan Altima 3.5SL. 

I have never been a car guy, most of my time /money was spent with motorcycles.

G

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

E39CFE12-A829-4076-8793-870E39B92766.jpeg

FC61DB00-B4C3-4B05-A7C2-04F612D94BA7.jpeg

I currently have a 2016 Challenger, GREAT car. With only 20 000 KM its hard to say how good it will be. My wife drives it and loves it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My best/most fun car would be handsdown my very first car, my '05 E46 M3 CS, in fact after i sold it i spend 5 YEARS sulking and crying on the inside about the fact that it was gone. Bought many other sportscars since (i only buy sportscars really, no use for more doors or space for me), nothing even came close. In fact now that im 24, i have recently Bought another E46 M3. only i still must admit my previous one was more to my personal taste, thankfully i still have the memories!

My worst car by far was my 1993 Toyota Supra MK4 Earotop (TT manual), absolutely hated that car for all the problems it constantly had!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that is a tough one for me... Id have to say in this order.

75 Trans Am

72 Chevy van...still ran awesome with 479,000. miles on the clock with the original engine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Pretty much a truism.:huh:

Most fun ( also most worked on to keep running :blink: ) '58 MGA Roadster in collage 1967-1968

Most Bitchin and everything else, 1960 El Camino, 283. headers, three twos. four speed. chrome reversed rims.

Best ? Foxer's right, most recent, 2013 Maxima. does it all. Sitting next to my '69 Charger beats the numbers in every way but cool.:D

 

21 hours ago, Foxer said:

Every "current car" has been the best.

 

Guess I should expand that, but I never owned any of the many Muscle Cars loved here.

Current is a '16 VW GTI. ... my 5th VW but the most fun

Then there's a Triumph TR4A and five Porsche 924/944's that were the ultimate!

I always liked cars that knew how to stay on the road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 440 Dakota said:

I noticed the Lund sun visor right away, Lund went out of business years ago and the XJ ones are getting hard to come by, in fact I buy almost every one that gets to the local pick a part yard and turn them into hobby dollars

That's a great idea!!!......your Cherokee is "killer" too!....cant get enough of them!...this is my third one. First was an 84/85.....you know, the one with parts from three different manufacturers...NIGHTMARE!!, second was an 98.....fully loaded, I had a green light crossing a 45 mph intersection, and one of those "fake" Mustangs(mid 2000's), blew the red light at 70mph, and hit the front of my jeep. Witnesses said that I rolled three times, but I landed butter-side up, with the engine still running. I put it in park, shut it off, and got out. Then I went over to see the other driver to kick the F'n BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of him, but he was laying unconscious on the pavement. Didn't know til the next day, while trying to do barbell curls, that I had a "walking concussion". That jeep really kept me safe....along with God.....woulda been a great safety commercial!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Hi Dakota,the Grand Cherokees that you are referring to were Excellent Jeep's.Yea,V8 power,with leather,can't go wrong.Plus they have a complete coil suspension,where the Sport has leafs in the back.Its really just the very new stuff,I don't care for.Especially now that Fiat took over a big part of Jeep's global designing,(ex),no offense to anyone,but as I said before,the new Cherokees,just not my cup of tea....at all.

The new Cherokee also has the worst depreciating rate of all cars in the US.....it loses 75% in three years!!!  real jeeps, i.e., Wranglers & the original Cherokees STILL hold higher value!!, and in some cases, appreciate in value!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sixx said:

My 2002 Subaru Forester...had just under 500,000 miles on it...a 1.7 liter 4 cylinder...before it died last year...was so dang fun in the snow! 

Subarus ROCK!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So about 6 years ago,I was in a roll over accident with my 93 two door Cherokee.I loved that truck,It had a four inch lift,with 33s on it.But it was killed by a stupid female driver.:lol:..It was around 11 pm one night,and it was a dark intersection.Well I was traveling east.I get into the left turning lane,and go through the green light..The girl was traveling west.Just as I was almost through the turn,she nails me right in the passenger back tire,and rolled me onto my roof.I couldn't believe it was happening..Im glad I had a roof rack and a tire up top.The whole accident was her fault,as she did not have her FU%#*& head lights on.So I never saw her coming..I had two cans of white House paint in the back of the truck.Needless to say,my interior was covered in white paint.Dam,I really never thought I'd be in a roll over.Anyway I crawled out,the side window after popping off my seatbelt,and turning right side up,or whatever.Then I went looking for the driver,and the rest is history:angry:.She was crying,and apologizing.Now my back is a pretzel,thanks to her...And a Jeep died that night.:(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best cars I have had have been reliable and fairly entertaining to drive. Unfortunately, they get replaced by cars which just aren't as good overall. I owned a '99 Toyota Solara, which I bought with 130,000 km on the clock. All the toys, and great fuel economy to boot. It carried me through several road trips and a return to college. I traded it in with 285,000 km, and bought a '06 Solara, which was nowhere near as reliable. I traded that car for a '06 Matrix, which was almost as luxurious, but had plenty of room for hauling cargo (model shows, gigs, etc.). I sold it to a friend of my stepmother with 235,000km on the clock, and bought a brand new '14 Focus hatchback. After enduring several transmission replacements, I really want my Matrix back!!!

P7304989.JPG

025.JPG

Edited by 64Comet404
adding pictures and modifying text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 4:44 PM, CapSat 6 said:

1) my 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT - at 18K miles, the electronics melted down. The dealer I took it to confirmed that those cars didn’t usually have the problems I was having, just MINE was. Chrysler bought it back, and gave me compensation (for a new Chrysler product) that was more than fair for it. Other than that, I really liked that car and I wish that Chrysler still made them. It was a great highway car, roomy and stable at speed, rock-solid ride.

I had the same thing, minus most of the problems - the only electronic fail was the tach:

my05magnumatmorongo07.thumb.JPG.faea80d593b1a4d988c7af61b06e11c7.JPG

Morongo Indian Reservation, Banning, CA. Lots of room in the back when you need to help haul your friends' drums and headdresses, luckily:

P1040820.thumb.JPG.b0efe851870e8a2623f8824044902235.JPG

As you said, a fine road car (although not so great in the rare high desert snowstorms). It did have a weak point with the rocker panels; the plastic holddown clips broke easily and the panels fell off a couple times until I used nuts and bolts with lock washers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 4:07 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

I had the same thing, minus most of the problems - the only electronic fail was the tach:

my05magnumatmorongo07.thumb.JPG.faea80d593b1a4d988c7af61b06e11c7.JPG

Morongo Indian Reservation, Banning, CA. Lots of room in the back when you need to help haul your friends' drums and headdresses, luckily:

P1040820.thumb.JPG.b0efe851870e8a2623f8824044902235.JPG

As you said, a fine road car (although not so great in the rare high desert snowstorms). It did have a weak point with the rocker panels; the plastic holddown clips broke easily and the panels fell off a couple times until I used nuts and bolts with lock washers.

Nice Magnum! I had mine in Philly-  went through two winters with it. With traction control and modern tires, these cars are worlds better than old rear wheel drive cars in the snow. I hand my Challenger off to my wife every morning for work, it gets driven in anything. It’s still no K-Car or 4 wheel drive in the snow, but you can still get by, assuming there isn’t more snow on the ground than can be cleared by the suspension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now