Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear Coat

So I tries a quick test of some clear coats on some different paints. The yellow is Craftsmart acrylic satin (AirBrushed), the green is Testors acylic pearl (AB), the red is Spaz Stix solid red enamel (AB), the brown is Krylon aerosol enamel? (RattleCan), the burgundy is something I got mixed  at a local autobody supplier for my truck (RC), and the gold is Craftsmart acrylic metallic (AB). The clears from left to right are: Testors Aztec acrylic (AB), Alclad Gloss laquer (AB), Pledge/Future (AB), Krylon Crystal Clear (RC), and Testors Gloss Coat (RC). Keep in mind that I did not adhere to proper application techniques. All paint was done in one heavy coat with no spoon prep at all. All clear coats were done in two heavy coats about two hours apart. All of the clears seemed to do pretty well over the acrylic paints, but the Testors Aztec is the clear winner in my eyes!

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

30 minutes ago, #1 model citizen said:

Thanks for sharing. That is a lot work to garner the results.

Agreed. Yes, thanks. 

My favorite clear is Model Master Clear Top Coat enamel, thinned with lacquer thinner, airbrushed, and polished. Its only downside is that it has a slight yellowish tint, which will get worse with time.  But I can live with this with many colors. 

I did a little durability test by scraping the back of the spoons with an Olfa knife. You can see how each of these faired. Once again the Testors Aztec seems to be the toughest. I am currently trying some Tamiya Pearl Clear. No pics yet, but it sure is purty!

IMG_2699.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG