Model Cars Magazine Forum

An exercise in fabrication - 426 Hemi DONE

landman

I found this old hemi in the junkpile. By the looks of the bell housing it must have come from a dragster. It only has one valve cover. I found another one but it is different. the one on it looks more "correct". I will attempt my first casting, assuming my stuff is still good. I decided to see if I could do something with it. I posted this in case some of the members might be interested.

IMG_6985.jpg

IMG_6983.jpg

For a front cover/water pump, I'm loosely copying that of a 426 Max Wedge I have in the stash.

IMG_6986.jpg

I also found a cross ram manifold but it appears to have the plenums reversed. I looked on the web to see if there were plenums in both configurations but it doesn't appear so. I cut it apart and put it back together to look like that of the Max Wedge.

IMG_6987.jpg

IMG_6988.jpg

IMG_6989.jpg

Edited by landman

10 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice going, and great encouragement for people to stretch themselves a little when they don't have the part they want on hand. :D

Thank you Bill. I was thinking of you when I was trying to figure whether there actually was a plenum like that one was. If my casting attempt goes haywire like the first one (the mold never took), i might just display this with open heads since the valve train detail is there. I'd put it in the back corner of the shop where all the goofs aren't too visible. :D

The casting looks good, hope your lungs look good as well. ;)

I have never been successful casting with resin, but I just don't do it enough to be good. The resin would go bad before I needed it again.

Most of what I cast is small parts like that valve cover. Bondic would have made quick work of that with a few slush cast layers, all cured in 4 seconds. It's so good and quick at these little things.

Well, to say that is your first casting Pat, it has turned out really good. The casting looks better than the original and your clay mould is brilliant. Like you I find moulding and casting very interesting, but the chemicals in the resin scare me. Just shows what you can make yourself. Engines and engine parts are an ideal subject for casting and when you get onto body shells and chassis it becomes even more satisfying. My feeling when I produced a two part mould for a 1:24 scale Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud was beyond words, and the resulting resin body shell that came out of that mould made me think.... did I do that ?

David

49 minutes ago, Foxer said:

The casting looks good, hope your lungs look good as well. ;)

I have never been successful casting with resin, but I just don't do it enough to be good. The resin would go bad before I needed it again.

Most of what I cast is small parts like that valve cover. Bondic would have made quick work of that with a few slush cast layers, all cured in 4 seconds. It's so good and quick at these little things.

Initially, since it was so small, I thought I'd mix up a gob of epoxy and put it in the mold.

Edited by landman

7 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Well, to say that is your first casting Pat, it has turned out really good. The casting looks better than the original and your clay mould is brilliant. Like you I find moulding and casting very interesting, but the chemicals in the resin scare me. Just shows what you can make yourself. Engines and engine parts are an ideal subject for casting and when you get onto body shells and chassis it becomes even more satisfying. My feeling when I produced a two part mould for a 1:24 scale Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud was beyond words, and the resulting resin body shell that came out of that mould made me think.... did I do that ?

David

David, is that rolls in your Diorama?

Yes Pat it is..... or at least some of the photos do show the resin cast Silver Cloud, which is airbrushed in cellulose Rolls-Royce Smoke Green as was the original 1959 motor car, the last Silver Cloud 1 ever produced by the factory. My model has a resin cast chassis also. Here is a photo for you.

David

100_6279.JPG

Looks very nice for a home made resin casting! I got my hands on a glue bomb Roller a long time ago and hot rodded it by combining it with some body parts of a monogram forty Ford pick up like the lower half of the cab and the bed and built it into a roadster pickup. I used interior parts from a Pontiac Grans Prix kit seats and dash. Thanks for sharing.

4 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Your engine build is coming together really well Pat, and you must be pleased with the result so far. It is worth the effort and the attention to detail. Liking the whole thing.

( thanks also to Tom for your comments on the resin Rolls-Royce )

David

Thanks David. I find it is a good way to use up some of the junk stuff laying around while developing the fabrication skills at the same time. I like doing an engine between builds. it is a bit like sherbet, it cleanses the palate between courses.;)