Model Cars Magazine Forum

Canadian Hobby Shops

Do any of my fellow hosers know of Canadian Hobby shops that have online shops? I know of Great Hobbies, and found a few, but they mainly deal in Railroad and RC. I'm looking for a shop or shops that have a good selection of paint. My LHS closed down a few years ago, and i had to sell off everything last year, so I'm pretty dry when it comes to the basic necessities.  Any help would be appreciated.

--- Mike

I order thru email from Wheels & Wings Hobbies in the Big Smoke.Email:  info@wheelswingshobbies.com. Thet put a stash together for me and when I decide I'm ready, he makes me a PayPal invoice and mails it. excellent service. ask for Ivan.they have a website wheelswingshobbies.com.  Oh. 416.752.0071 .

if the one you are referring to was the one on LaSalle, that was a great place. I had asked one of the daughters to notify me when they held their clearout sale but she must have forgotten.

If you're looking for kits, dont discard ebay or US vendors. With the shipping rates, its pretty much the same price to order a kit from a Canadian vendor as it is to get it from the US.....cheaper in fact many times. If you need airbrush paint, Gravity Colors ships to Canada and Scale Finishes can be ordered from the above mentioned Elm City. 

In Dundas (Hamilton) is Dundas Valley Hobby, Robin has a really good selection of supplies, you can check her website and contact her on if she'll ship. You're far enough North you're gonna have to pay for shipping unless you travel south. 

4 hours ago, landman said:

I order thru email from Wheels & Wings Hobbies in the Big Smoke.Email:  info@wheelswingshobbies.com. Thet put a stash together for me and when I decide I'm ready, he makes me a PayPal invoice and mails it. excellent service. ask for Ivan.they have a website wheelswingshobbies.com.  Oh. 416.752.0071 .

100% agree with this. Ivan at Wheels & Wings has been great to deal with. I've ordered quite a few kits from then.

Just find what you want, the call or email to see if they have it. I haven't been disappointed yet!

PM Hobbycraft in Calgary is good, but their webstore isn't as good as being there in person. Same goes for Hobby Wholesale in Edmonton, who are sadly the onyl real hobby store left here. City of over a million people, one hobby store.

6 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

100% agree with this. Ivan at Wheels & Wings has been great to deal with. I've ordered quite a few kits from then.

Just find what you want, the call or email to see if they have it. I haven't been disappointed yet!

PM Hobbycraft in Calgary is good, but their webstore isn't as good as being there in person. Same goes for Hobby Wholesale in Edmonton, who are sadly the onyl real hobby store left here. City of over a million people, one hobby store.

No argument there, about going in person.  We're still lucky enough to have a few decent hobby stores here.  Chinook Hobbies is still around, as is Model Land.  Don's Hobby Shop seems to have gone completely over to costumes and theatrical supplies.  There's also Action Hobby, though I''ve never visited. that one.

Model Land's TV ad still gets a chuckle from me.

19 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

No argument there, about going in person.  We're still lucky enough to have a few decent hobby stores here.  Chinook Hobbies is still around, as is Model Land.  Don's Hobby Shop seems to have gone completely over to costumes and theatrical supplies.  There's also Action Hobby, though I''ve never visited. that one.

Totally forgot about Chinook! Not sure what they have for online presence, but the actual brick and mortar store is pretty good.

Will have to check out Model Land. I've never actually heard of that one.

Thanks for all of the suggestion guys. I really appreciate it.

On 2/24/2018 at 11:00 AM, landman said:

if the one you are referring to was the one on LaSalle, that was a great place. I had asked one of the daughters to notify me when they held their clearout sale but she must have forgotten.

If you're referring to Hoby Depot, run by Graham and Mike, that was on Notre Dame Ave. And yeah, it was a great shop. I went in 4-5 times a week. More often than I should have really. Mostly to talk with Graham. That guy knew everything, especially about 60's and 70's era drag racing. The stories he told me about drag racing down town and at the airport in the 70's were great. Unfortunately, Mike passed away and his dumbass son didnt want to keep the shop going. Sure there were afew places that sold kits and paint here in town, but they werent geared to model builders, One on Lasalle is mostly fantasy board games, the other on the Kingsway and Falconbridge road, while they have a good selection of kits , they're mainly catering to the RC crowd. Hobby Deot was the only hobby shop for hundred of miles around. I was told it made good money by both Graham AND Mike. I was in there so much, and alway bought something when I was there that they charged me what they paid lol while they did make a good profit they didnt make any money off of me. I spent thousands in that place. So much so that when i had to sell everything last year because I fell on hard times, The guy who bought it all got 500 or so kits in the deal!

On 24/02/2018 at 12:08 PM, Danger said:

You could try Hornet Hobbies in Toronto. They mention on their website that they will do mail orders if contacted directly. http://www.hornethobbies.com/contact-us

Another Canadian store is Elm City Hobbies in New Brunswick. http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/

Second vote for Elm City. It's my local shop and I've known Scott for about 20 years now. Long before he owned the shop he was a member of our local club so he knows models, not just sells them.

53 minutes ago, Evil Appetite said:

Thanks for all of the suggestion guys. I really appreciate it.

If you're referring to Hoby Depot, run by Graham and Mike, that was on Notre Dame Ave. And yeah, it was a great shop. I went in 4-5 times a week. More often than I should have really. Mostly to talk with Graham. That guy knew everything, especially about 60's and 70's era drag racing. The stories he told me about drag racing down town and at the airport in the 70's were great. Unfortunately, Mike passed away and his dumbass son didnt want to keep the shop going. Sure there were afew places that sold kits and paint here in town, but they werent geared to model builders, One on Lasalle is mostly fantasy board games, the other on the Kingsway and Falconbridge road, while they have a good selection of kits , they're mainly catering to the RC crowd. Hobby Deot was the only hobby shop for hundred of miles around. I was told it made good money by both Graham AND Mike. I was in there so much, and alway bought something when I was there that they charged me what they paid lol while they did make a good profit they didnt make any money off of me. I spent thousands in that place. So much so that when i had to sell everything last year because I fell on hard times, The guy who bought it all got 500 or so kits in the deal!

Yes Mike, the Hobby Depot. Got my streets mixed up.