Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby series 1

HDDan

28 minutes ago, TOYCARTEC said:

Have to watch this build. I have this kit and have been thinking about building it too

I hope I can give you some insight and inspiration. So far the doors are proving to be difficult to cut out but definitely doable

I’ve never used embossing powder. I like having real carpet like texture though so I stick to regular stuff.

I use spray adhesive though and I think it works much better than the white glue method. You might have to apply it 1-2 times for full coverage. Anything you miss can be patched with the white glue method later.

Gor for it!  Cutting out the doors is half the challenge, doing hinges that work is still a bugger for me.

I have never tried flocking, looks like another bugger.  I was recently turned onto Zero Designs self-adhesive carpet, worked great so far.
https://www.hiroboy.com/Red_Self_Adhesive_Flocking_Sheet--product--5152.html

After getting started on the doors I opened the rest of the kit only to find ,or should I say not find, any of the clear parts. No windows, headlights, break lights or turn signals. I sent a request into revel let's see how this plays out.?

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, rsxse240 said:

I have heard so many horror stories of this model.  It is a gorgeous model but it is such a pain to build.

If I were putting it together without any modifications it probably wouldn't be so bad. 

Why does the Aurora/Northstar engine in this kit only have plug coils on one bank of cylinders?  After a quick search, answered my own question.  Each coil should have two plug wires, as seen in this photo.  The handwritten numbers identify the cylinder.  No distributor, just sensors and an ignition control module.

coil on plug distributer less for Northstar.jpg

Edited by GerN

4 hours ago, GerN said:

Why does the Aurora/Northstar engine in this kit only have plug coils on one bank of cylinders?  After a quick search, answered my own question.  Each coil should have two plug wires, as seen in this photo.  The handwritten numbers identify the cylinder.  No distributor, just sensors and an ignition control module.

coil on plug distributer less for Northstar.jpg

I figured out the same thing after I looked at some more pictures. I'm not sure why they didn't just use individual coil packs. My 98 Camry v6 had them. This is a 99 model.