Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamel paint removal query

Try fairy power spray,  it seems to remove all paints and doesn't stink up the place like spray cans of oven cleaner. I spray it on the parts then put them in a sealable tub to catch the run off as it can be reused again and again. The downside is the bottles are only half a litre so i buy them 6 ata time from amazon to get them cheap

6 minutes ago, #1 model citizen said:

Super Clean also works well & available at Walmart and auto parts stores here. I'm guessing its similar to the Purple Power suggested by Scott. Its purple too. It used to be known as Castrol Super Clean, but the Castrol name is no longer on the bottle (last time I looked).  

Ok, the stuff Scott posted is the knock off brand,  Super Clean is what use be called Castrol Super Clean , Super Clean is a lot stronger than the Purple Power stuff, the Purple Stuff does work, Super Clean works better, its worth the extra couple of dollars more.

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Ok, the stuff Scott posted is the knock off brand,  Super Clean is what use be called Castrol Super Clean , Super Clean is a lot stronger than the Purple Power stuff, the Purple Stuff does work, Super Clean works better, its worth the extra couple of dollars more.

I concur completely.

I've compared the two, & Super Clean is the superior product for paint stripping, hands down.

Steve

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

42 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I concur completely.

I've compared the two, & Super Clean is the superior product for paint stripping, hands down.

Steve

I agree and keep it on hand....

19 hours ago, HotRodaSaurus said:

I am curious to know why some model paint colours, particularly black, red and some metallic enamels are real hard work to remove? Oven cleaner sometimes will not touch these colours and I don't usually like going the domestic bleach route.

Why? Because there are many different paint chemistries and they can react differently to various strippers.  It is not only enamel vs. lacquer, but things like paint's binders and pigments will make difference. So sometimes even with the same brand of paint, the color makes a difference (since the chemical composition of the pigment is different). Not all paints are equal.

7 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

X2

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Why? Because there are many different paint chemistries and they can react differently to various strippers.  It is not only enamel vs. lacquer, but things like paint's binders and pigments will make difference. So sometimes even with the same brand of paint, the color makes a difference (since the chemical composition of the pigment is different). Not all paints are equal.

Agreed.

I have found flat paints to be the most difficult to remove, especially flat black.

Steve

I USE ZEP  BRAND PURPLE FLOOR STRIPPER FROM HOME DEPOT,IT IS STRONGER THAN CASTROL SUPER CLEAN, AND YES IT WILL WRECK RESIN BODIES, AND ACETATE PROMOS, AND EARLY MONOGRAM PLASTIC. (DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW THAT!!!!!).ALSO USE GLOVES AS IT WILL DRY YOUR SKIN AND SAFETY GLASS AS IT WILL BURN IN THE EYES(AGAIN DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW) IT WILL EAT AN ALUMINUM PAN SO PUT  IT  IN  A SEALED TUPPERWARE-TYPE CONTAINER . BE PLEASE BE SURE TO  STORE BOTH AWAY FROM PETS AND CHILDREN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, paul alflen said:

I USE ZEP  BRAND PURPLE FLOOR STRIPPER FROM HOME DEPOT,IT IS STRONGER THAN CASTROL SUPER CLEAN, AND YES IT WILL WRECK RESIN BODIES, AND ACETATE PROMOS, AND EARLY MONOGRAM PLASTIC. (DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW THAT!!!!!).ALSO USE GLOVES AS IT WILL DRY YOUR SKIN AND SAFETY GLASS AS IT WILL BURN IN THE EYES(AGAIN DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW) IT WILL EAT AN ALUMINUM PAN SO PUT  IT  IN  A SEALED TUPPERWARE-TYPE CONTAINER . BE PLEASE BE SURE TO  STORE BOTH AWAY FROM PETS AND CHILDREN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to use gloves with Super Clean,  I dont think a mask is needed as long as you are in a very well ventilated area,  you dont want prolong skin contact with it, one  should always follow health and safety and wear gloves anytime you are dealing with chemicals.

11 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Yikes! I will agree gloves are needed even for the Super Clean as it can seriously dry your skin, but the Zep may be too strong if it eats aluminum!

While I haven't any experience with early Monogram plastic, I have left Revell/AMT circa 1956 plastic in the super clean for days (weeks?) with no adverse affect.

I have also been told by Modelhaus that you can use Super Clean on their resin. It will turn the resin purple but has no other adverse affect.

Any lye-based solution (including Super Clean, Purple stuff or even EasyOff oven cleaner) will react with and eat aluminum.   This is not a revelation.  Lye is also shown in crime-drama movies as a solution which will dissolve corpses. So yes, you better protect your bare skin.

On 2/26/2018 at 10:16 AM, paul alflen said:

The very earlest Monogram plastic kits (they did balsa and white pine kits at their startup) were molded in acetate!

Art

2 hours ago, 1hobby1 said:

Use Brake fluid, let it sit a couple days, and wipe off... just did it on a car that was painted in enamel and after wiping it clean it looked like it was never even painted. 

Super Clean should do the same thing.

It usually will dissolve enamel in a couple of hours.

The nice thing about Super Clean is that it's biodegradable.

Brake fluid is much harder to dispose of.

Steve

2v2JKyCPCxwUbWP.jpg2v2JKyCkixwUbWP.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 11:51 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Super Clean should do the same thing.

It usually will dissolve enamel in a couple of hours.

The nice thing about Super Clean is that it's biodegradable.

Brake fluid is much harder to dispose of.

Steve

2v2JKyCPCxwUbWP.jpg2v2JKyCkixwUbWP.jpg

I will have to give super clean a try because you’re 100 percent with the inconvenience of brake fluid after using it. Disposing of brake fluid is a pain, I usually use cat litter to help dissolve it. 

On 3/18/2018 at 3:51 PM, 1hobby1 said:

Disposing of brake fluid is a pain, I usually use cat litter to help dissolve it. 

Cat litter (clay) dissolves brake fluid?  How can you dissolve something that is already liquid? Or are you dissolving cat litter? :unsure:

I'll take a shot in the dark and say he means the cat litter absorbs the brake fluid .If you have oil stains or spills on a cement/concrete floor, spread some cat litter over either, scrunch and scrub it into the spot with your feet or deck broom. It'll soak up the oil and remove the stain. 

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I'll take a shot in the dark and say he means the cat litter absorbs the brake fluid .If you have oil stains or spills on a cement/concrete floor, spread some cat litter over either, scrunch and scrub it into the spot with your feet or deck broom. It'll soak up the oil and remove the stain. 

Exactly my thought.

But then you still need to dispose of the oily cat litter! :P

Steve