Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Bel Air '57

ATHU

9 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

Very nice 57 with great detailing Anders. I built the older tooled amt 57 in the same colours way back. Only stocker Ive ever built.

My 1:1 was originally these colours from the factory.

8 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

The colour scheme really suits the Chevy '57 Bel Air and  you have a very nice build there Anders.

David

Thank you very much for the kind words guys!!

Excellent job!!! At 75 years of age, I remember those cars well.

I have that same color (in a rattle can) from a 1:1 restoration site; I had planned on doing that kit  '57 in one color, not two tone, but ran into other difficulties.

A couple of observations, and these are in no way criticism of your fine workmanship:

1. The mesh around the headlights has a black background. You can still recover this by using children's water paints, which pose virtually no risk. Paint the mesh, let dry, wipe off with a damp business card. If you don't like it, use a clean paintbrush and water to remove it. Here's a '40 Ford grille done using that approach

image.png.c094f7f7c64c42c9f42a4c7e9b7ffdc4.png

2. There is an obscure kit error. The spare tire in the trunk  is shown with lug nuts, instead of mounting holes. I suspect AMT just grabbed a mounted wheel from some other kit. If you're building an entry for Out-of-the-Box, you're golden. Personally, I don't know if I'd remove the tire just to drill the holes (which might entail repainting).

Again, my comments are not intended to be negative, just (hopefully) constructive, and I hope you take them in the way they were intended.

17 hours ago, slusher said:

Fantastic model!

16 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Very nice. I love the colors.

Thank you very much!!

17 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Excellent job!!! At 75 years of age, I remember those cars well.

I have that same color (in a rattle can) from a 1:1 restoration site; I had planned on doing that kit  '57 in one color, not two tone, but ran into other difficulties.

A couple of observations, and these are in no way criticism of your fine workmanship:

1. The mesh around the headlights has a black background. You can still recover this by using children's water paints, which pose virtually no risk. Paint the mesh, let dry, wipe off with a damp business card. If you don't like it, use a clean paintbrush and water to remove it. Here's a '40 Ford grille done using that approach

2. There is an obscure kit error. The spare tire in the trunk  is shown with lug nuts, instead of mounting holes. I suspect AMT just grabbed a mounted wheel from some other kit. If you're building an entry for Out-of-the-Box, you're golden. Personally, I don't know if I'd remove the tire just to drill the holes (which might entail repainting).

Again, my comments are not intended to be negative, just (hopefully) constructive, and I hope you take them in the way they were intended.

Thank you very much for your kind comment and advice. Very useful!!

On February 28, 2018 at 7:41 PM, BigTallDad said:

... 1. The mesh around the headlights has a black background. You can still recover this by using children's water paints, which pose virtually no risk. Paint the mesh, let dry, wipe off with a damp business card. If you don't like it, use a clean paintbrush and water to remove it. Here's a '40 Ford grille done using that approach. ...

I'm glad you posted this tip.  I noticed that too, so I learned something today.

This is a very well done model!  I love the color too, seems like turquoise wasn't invented until 1955.  I have this kit too, looks very nice for an AMT, and yours is done!

On 3/1/2018 at 3:19 PM, ATHU said:

Thank you very much for your kind comment and advice. Very useful!!

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm glad you posted this tip.  I noticed that too, so I learned something today.

Glad I could help