Model Cars Magazine Forum

Avoiding sticky paint lids

DanR

5 hours ago, DanR said:

Just thought I'd pass this along. I use a small square of Press & Seal on my paint jars and no longer deal with lids that get stuck... you can get 2 nice sized boxes at Costco and they go far.

20180225_184805.jpg

good tip..

I avoid the problem entirely by thoroughly cleaning the  seal inside the lid and the bottle opening every time I use the paint.

But if you want to use the clear wrap method and solvent-based paints I recommend to use a plain cling wrap. Press-n-Seal is coated with pressure-sensitive adhesive which will likely get dissolved into the paint. I rather not have my paint contaminated by adhesive (even by a miniscule amount).

5 hours ago, 426 pack said:

That’s a good tip. I recently threw away 1/2 my paint due to the lids being stuck.

Next time, invert the bottle and place a drop or two of lacquer thinner at the base of the cap. After a minute or two, the thinner has loosened the dried paint, allowing you to open the jar.

On 2/27/2018 at 2:11 AM, BigTallDad said:

Next time, invert the bottle and place a drop or two of lacquer thinner at the base of the cap. After a minute or two, the thinner has loosened the dried paint, allowing you to open the jar.

Pair of pliers works too, or for those that use Tamiya or Mr Hobby paints, this little beauty of a product

mrcap.jpg

8 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Pair of pliers works too, or for those that use Tamiya or Mr Hobby paints, this little beauty of a product

mrcap.jpg

I'm curious about the tool above. Though I fewer problems with Tamiya acrylic paint bottles sticking than the old Testor enamels I use to use, it still does happen. Went over to eBay to look for above product. It seems be readly available, and for under $10.00. I may have to get one. 

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I'm curious about the tool above. Though I fewer problems with Tamiya acrylic paint bottles sticking than the old Testor enamels I use to use, it still does happen. Went over to eBay to look for above product. It seems be readly available, and for under $10.00. I may have to get one. 

I have one, its very much worth that $10, you wont be disappointed,

Edited by martinfan5

I keep a pair of robo grips near the bench for that purpose.  I try to NOT use paint out of lid and wipe the threads before capping.  I use the plastic bags the trees come in for paint pallettes and dab some paint on there.   But if it is shaken, you still have to clean up before sealing.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 10:09 AM, youpey said:

i used my teeth once to open a lid. once. i really dont recommend it. it was in my younger, dumber days. 

all joking aside, thanks for the tip. i too have had to toss paints for stuck lid

I once used that method too and have one less tooth for my effort!

Never got the bottle open either!LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I keep a few small pieces of drawer liner (the rubber-coated type) for opening stuck lids.  Also as a base for sawing or drilling small parts.  I do wish Model Master paints had plastic lids with inner plastic liners similar to most other model paint makers.