Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Shortbox Chevy pickup.

Wow, that is very cool!  Just because I own a '69 Chevy C-10 long bed, does not necessarily mean I'm biased in any way.  :rolleyes:

I know kits for these pickups are now collectible, so nice to see one built.  I could have bought 4 built models off eBay awhile ago, shoulda coulda woulda.

Sorry, have to ask, thought '68 did not have side lights.  My truck has them, but no wiring or bulbs in them, because it was a transition year for the new mandate.

16 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Wow, that is very cool!  Just because I own a '69 Chevy C-10 long bed, does not necessarily mean I'm biased in any way.  :rolleyes:

I know kits for these pickups are now collectible, so nice to see one built.  I could have bought 4 built models off eBay awhile ago, shoulda coulda woulda.

Sorry, have to ask, thought '68 did not have side lights.  My truck has them, but no wiring or bulbs in them, because it was a transition year for the new mandate.

Thanks Kurt, and yes, '68s did have the side markers. The only year of this generation GM pickup that did not have the markers was '67. 

On 2/25/2018 at 5:01 PM, Can-Con said:

Started with an old '68 cab and used a last issue '72 for the box and chassis plate. Both were shortened. 
Then the '68 trim was added to the sides and the tail gate and tail light sections were rebuilt to look more like the real trucks...

IMG 2296

IMG 2297

Beautiful truck. I just noticed something.

You said the bed was made from a recent 72 reissue, and that you modified the tailgate to 68 specs. My question is - did you graft in the lower part of a 65 tailgate into the 72 tailgate to get those letters into it? That sure doesn't look like a 72 tailgate!

Also, how did you accurately recreate the side trim with the black groove inside it?

I've got a resin copy of the grille area for a 68 Chevy and I'm going to use a GMC cab (less trim to sand off, accurate side marker lights). Now, if I know how you did the trim and the tailgate, I'm set to make my own copy of a 68 shorty.

Please tell me how you did it!

17 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Beautiful truck. I just noticed something.

You said the bed was made from a recent 72 reissue, and that you modified the tailgate to 68 specs. My question is - did you graft in the lower part of a 65 tailgate into the 72 tailgate to get those letters into it? That sure doesn't look like a 72 tailgate!

Also, how did you accurately recreate the side trim with the black groove inside it?

I've got a resin copy of the grille area for a 68 Chevy and I'm going to use a GMC cab (less trim to sand off, accurate side marker lights). Now, if I know how you did the trim and the tailgate, I'm set to make my own copy of a 68 shorty.

Please tell me how you did it!

Hi Patrick. 

yes, you are correct about the tail gate. I used the part from a '65 with the letters and made the trough just above it from scraps of sheet plastic. 

I did the side trim with two sizes of plastistruct strips. Ran them parallel with each other leaving a small gap for the black strip between them.  

If you're gonna make a '67 or '68 from a cab that wasn't originally, remember you will need to do something with the gap left around the grille insert. That area is moulded to the cab on those kits. [unless of corse you got one of those resin grilles with it already attached]

You might also want to think about modifying the tail light area, it's awful on those kits.