Model Cars Magazine Forum

79 Ford F150 and 69 Ford F100 By Motormax

THarrison351

I swing by the toy department at Walmart to check for new stock of M2 Machines in 1/24 scale because a) they're cheap and b} sometimes Walmart gets exclusive cars. So I spot a couple of interesting trucks from Motormax. One is a 79 Ford F150 longbed and the other is a 69 Ford F100 shortbed. They're only $10 each and though hardly perfect, I figured I could add some paint and foil and make them look nice on the shelf. I should have taken some before pictures, but we'll have to make due with internet pictures.

79 Ford before:

Diecast Side(Not my picture, found on the internet)

So, it's not bad in this picture. the headlight posts are noticeable, the paint is shiny, the bed upper trim is missing,  however the area is painted silver. The wheels/hubcaps don't look bad until you realize the black area of the hubcap is actually open. The off white paint on mine did not go around the edges at all, so the gaps were glaringly red. Finally, they inserted the windshield from inside the cab and it did not fit. as designed.

Diecast Rear(Not my picture, found on the internet)

This, this is pretty much all wrong as you can see in the next photo

IM004121(Not my picture, found on the internet)

Diecast Interior(Not my picture, found on the internet)

The interior as typical in Motormax cars, is all black with a sticker for the instruments.

IMG 0007

Believe it or not, it has some detail on the bottom and is a 4X4! I didn't do anything with that as you can see. It sits too low to appear to be a 4X4.

So I added a little paint, fixed the windshield, foiled the trim, and painted the amber and red lenses. Here is the result:

IMG 0001

IMG 0002

I would have liked to remove the headlight posts, but the fluting on the lens was so lightly engraved, I thought I would lose that too.

IMG 0003

IMG 0004

IMG 0006

Now I couldn't find the same color as mine on the internet but you'll get the meaning

68 Ford F100 Before:

Siecast front(Not my picture, found on the internet)

Sadly, they put paint on the windshield for the trim and short of sanding and polishing, I could not get it off. So I foiled over the paint.

Siecast side(Not my picture, found on the internet)

Diecast Rear(Not my picture, found on the internet)

Yes, they forgot to paint the taillights and the reflectors red.

Diecast Engine

(Not my picture, found on the internet)

Hmm, black lumps subject to interpretation. At least the distributor is in the front where it's supposed to be.

Diecast Interior(Not my picture, found on the internet)

More black plastic and soft detail. Those hubcaps actually might have been an accessory for trucks in this time period. They were available in 15" for the Galaxie XL.

s-l1600

(Not my picture, found on the internet)

Just like the 79, it has some detail on the bottom and is a 4X4! I also did nothing with it as you can see. It sits too low to appear to be a 4X4.

IMG 0001

So like the 79, I added a little paint, foiled the trim, and painted the amber and red lenses. Here is the result:

IMG 0013

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the door handles are on upside down.

IMG 0014

IMG 0015

IMG 0016

There's where that red goes.

IMG 0012

Yes, the air cleaner top is molded like it should have a ram air scoop above it and the valve covers are finned.

IMG 0017

The door trim is actually for a 68. I hacked off the top of the horn ring. It's not a round circle.

IMG 0018

IMG 0019

Ready for the campground, thanks to this cool Winnebago travel trailer from Greenlight.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one, too, and it's not bad, but also far from perfect. If you have ever seen the old Sam Walton F-150 that was made by a different company, this one has many similarities. I have one, and have compared the two side by side, they are exactly the same size, the Walton truck is missing the upper trim on one side of the bed, and the tailgate is very similar. The Walton version goes for BIG bucks because is was supposedly very low production, but I got a bargain on mine since both front wheels were broken off and the tool box lid was loose. I fixed the front wheels and just glued the toolbox door on, so now it looks decent. The two look so much alike I can't help but think the Motormax version was derived from the other one.

I have the forest green/cream version of the 79.   Bought at a yard sale.  Looks okay on shelf in my office from a distance.  You can tell it's a late 70s Ford truck.  That's about all I wanted from it and it was cheap.  

Would look much better with some detail and those tailgate letters are pretty horrid.  

• 4 months later...

Nice work on those, Tim. I did a minor conversion on my red '69 diecast with decals made up for me by SteveA over on the spotlight forum after I sent him pics and measurements...

P1018363

Obviously, lots of other detail work to do on it but it's a start. At least shape-wise it's much easier to look at than the recent styrene rendition.

Here's a link to some other ford trucks done in diecast...

mike