Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Chevy Shcool Bus

I  have bee wanting to build a school bus now for a while. I found the Bonnet bus is the right size for what I am wanting to do. I love the 65 Chevy body style and wanted to do this conversion.

I found the 65 Chevy is a perfect fit for the Bonnet Bus. Almost like they were made  for each other.  It was a curbside, so I cut out the engine/trans area and I am going to install a stock 350.

The windshield is going to be easier than I had expected. so, here it is. 

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

So, this is kind of the plan for this bus. I wanted to do a smaller bus, the kind that would be used by a small district or by the special kids. However, I am not sure if I should shorten it or not. 

Here is the inspiration:

c0265f93dfdf4619321490965308e956.jpg

As you can see, it is a standard 1 ton truck, not the C60 (no wide fenders, tall grill). The window on this one is a bit goofy, but the rest of it is the idea I am after. So, do I shorten it, or leave it as is?

I kind of like the weathered/patina yellow, I might copy that. I can see I need to get some different wheels and tires, the kit ones just do not have the look as is. It may also help it feel more 1/25 as apposed to 1/32. 

What often happened in the 1:1 world with school buses was that the conversion company used the same body no matter what length they were building. They would just chop the length to meet what ever was needed. The duel rear wheels were done by tubing the floor to clear the duel wheels and kept the same tread width as the front wheels. These "Shortys" are very popular with the "Tail Gating" set.     

8 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Very interesting, nice start.

All the "Bonnet Bus" kits I've seen are 1/32 (which yours appears to be), but your front sheetmetal appears to be from a 1/25 kit.

Am I misunderstanding something?

I had read on a web page that the Arii Bonnet bus was 1/25 scale and miss labeled as 1/32. No so, however if you look at the Resin buses that are being made, they all use the Arii Bonnet bus as the base for the resin body, and just stuff a Ford/Chevy/you pick frontend on it. I did not want to pay $70 for someone else's idea, I wanted a 65 Chevy bus. 

In the future, I will build another one, I will buy 2 and widen the body by cutting 2 part and using the 2 larger halves to make it wider. I may also do something to make it taller.

But for now, this is my first attempt at using this bus body and I think it is going to turn out pretty good for a special ed style bus. 

Right now I am leaning toward shortening it, paint it School Bus Yellow, weathering it with some rust and dropping it down on some cool custom wheels. 

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

I had read on a web page that the Arii Bonnet bus was 1/25 scale and miss labeled as 1/32. No so, however if you look at the Resin buses that are being made, they all use the Arii Bonnet bus as the base for the resin body, and just stuff a Ford/Chevy/you pick frontend on it. I did not want to pay $70 for someone else's idea, I wanted a 65 Chevy bus. 

In the future, I will build another one, I will buy 2 and widen the body by cutting 2 part and using the 2 larger halves to make it wider. I may also do something to make it taller.

But for now, this is my first attempt at using this bus body and I think it is going to turn out pretty good for a special ed style bus. 

Right now I am leaning toward shortening it, paint it School Bus Yellow, weathering it with some rust and dropping it down on some cool custom wheels. 

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

Great start, I like it! I think if you shorten it you'll be in for a lot of work. If you take 1 window width out of the middle, then the rear will look like it has too much overhang. Then you might have to move the wheel wells back a little to make it look right. That's a lot of cutting, not to mention moving the door from one side to the other. Either way, it looks great & good luck, I'll be watching.

I've made some progress.  I got the door moved to the other side and some of the bodywork finished up. I still need to do some finish work on the door and the connection of the bus/truck. 

I really like to shorter look of it. Now to figure out the interior and modify the floor to work with the door flip. I have also been describing the body lines to make sure they don't get lost in the bodywork. 

j4x6i9rp_Tqaan0rff_CHtt_A.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

I've made some progress.  I got the door moved to the other side and some of the bodywork finished up. I still need to do some finish work on the door and the connection of the bus/truck. 

I really like to shorter look of it. Now to figure out the interior and modify the floor to work with the door flip. I have also been describing the body lines to make sure they don't get lost in the bodywork. 

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0197.jpgIMG_0198.jpgIMG_0199.jpgIMG_0201.jpgWell, I've made some progress on it. I am working on the weathering. I plan to do a wash and dull clear. 

Interior is progressing too, but slowly. 

The grill and front bumper will be painted white after they come out of the purple pond. 

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars