Model Cars Magazine Forum

al groom ridler entry

GerN

When I saw a photo of Al Groom's Ridler entry, I just had to make a model of it.  Of course, I'm not building a replica, but a custom interpretation.  Here is his, followed by the pieces I have made or selected for mine.

Only the front suspension and partial roll cage (NASCAR), the PU box sides, part of the frame, the back of the passenger area, and two styrene sheets below the 1950 Ford PU hood are not my own resin castings.  My intention is to actually finish this build in time for the 12 May MAMA show.  I still haven't decided which wheels to use for the dually rear.  I don't plan on doing a distressed patina paint job, but, who knows.

2016-03-09_19-22-15.jpg

all parts.jpg

2 hours ago, milo1303s said:

Sorry but that thing is a Riddler contender? Looks likes rat poop too me no offense to your model but looks like the riddler award  has gone down hill !!

No, but it was a crowd favorite.  If memory serves, Al Groom wasn't trying to compete for the Most Beautiful prize.

I saw the real car a few ears ago downstairs at the Detroit auto show it was very original and unique but I must agree I fail to see it's inclusion in the Riddler contention. Just my personal opinion. Should make a very interesting model project and I'll be following along.

Edited by misterNNL
bad spelling again

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 5:59 AM, milo1303s said:

Sorry but that thing is a Riddler contender? Looks likes rat poop too me no offense to your model but looks like the riddler award  has gone down hill !!

On 3/1/2018 at 9:12 PM, misterNNL said:

I saw the real car a few ears ago downstairs at the Detroit auto show it was very original and unique but I must agree I fail to see it's inclusion in the Riddler contention. Just my personal opinion. Should make a very interesting model project and I'll be following along.

No this was not a Ridler contender, they are all upstairs.

I will say this was a very interesting contraption. The engineering was out there for sure. I will be watching this also. You are off to a good strat Gerald.

I looked up Groom's car/truck thing. I must say that I like most of it. I like the crazy Mad Scientist flare crossed with a little Steam punk to create a unique Rat Rod. I would have liked to see a better windshield and maybe something crazy vintage for the wheels, the rest of it speaks to me and I would have fun driving it around.

That drive shaft setup is crazy, scary and kind of cool.