Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buick V6

26 minutes ago, gasman said:

I want to convert the recently reissued AMT Chevy Monza to a 75 Buick Skyhawk, the only real difference is the engine, would the Dauntless V6 in the recently reissued Jeep Commando be correct for this car?

Yes, that same block/engine design became the 3.8L/3800 V6 as we know it. You'd need a different 2WD transmission, though, and not sure if the exhaust manifolds would work in the H-body Skyhawk chassis, either.

Paul, your thinking of the chevy 229. It's a small block with the front 2 cylinders chopped off. It's actually a 305 minus 2 cylinders. The Buick v6 is a Buick design. The distributor is the easy way to tell them apart. The chevy has the dizzy in the back like a regular sbc. While the Buick has the dizzy on the front of the motor. 

9 hours ago, paul alflen said:

CASEY, IS NOT THE 3800 V-6 A SHORTENED VERSION OF THE 350 V-8??  THE JEEP COMMANDER V-6 WAS OUT BEFORE THIS ENGINE WAS ENGINEERED I THINK!!              GUYS , HELP ME OUT HERE!!!!!!!

It's really more a Buick 340 V8 (which is a cast iron derivative of the aluminum 215) with two cylinders cut off, but that's still not the right way to think of it.

The Buick aluminum 215 V8 was replaced with a cast iron engine built on the same architecture, and the 3200/3700/3800 family was developed from that.

It was introduced in 1962 in a 3200cc displacement (198 cu.in.).

The 3800 family, though a very popular engine, is unusual in that it has 90 degrees between cylinder banks, where most 6-cylinder V engines have 60 degrees between banks.

It was done that way so that production machining of the blocks could be done on the same tooling as Buick's V8 engines.

But the 90 degree configuration used in a V6 results in uneven firing impulses, which makes the engine seem rough-running.

Jeep began using the engine in 1965 (Jeep eventually bought the tooling in 1967) with a very heavy flywheel to dampen out the odd-fire vibrations.

That was addressed by GM in 1977 (GM bought the tooling back from Jeep in 1974) by replacing the crankshaft with one that incorporated "split" con-rod journals, resulting in an "even fire" engine.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I don't know if it would be a viable option or not, but Monogram's El Camino and also I think the Revell (pre Revell/Monogram merger days) El Camino like in the Bass Busters set have GM V6s in them. 

1 minute ago, espo said:

I think GMCMAN 52's idea would be the best and most accurate for the 3.8 liter Buick engine. You would want to change to a Carburetor instead of the Turbo, or a Turbo could be fun also.       

The only reason I suggested the ones from the El Camino is that they are already set up for a carburetor. 

Just now, highway said:

The only reason I suggested the ones from the El Camino is that they are already set up for a carburetor. 

I hadn't thought of those but it sounds like a good idea. It might just depend on what can be found and what it would cost.

2 hours ago, espo said:

I hadn't thought of those but it sounds like a good idea. It might just depend on what can be found and what it would cost.

Both can be found, but both have price tags to go with them

The cheapest El Camino  kit Highway is talking about is $32BIN or $19 opening bid plus shipping

THe cheapest Buick Grand Nat kit is $22 plus shipping

Are the only Buick V6 options in 1/24th scale?, I need a Buick V6 for the 83-85 Cutlass, but that is 1/25th.

Edited by martinfan5

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It certainly has SOME kind of V6...

Image result for AMT opel GT engine

I seem to recall that Tim Boyd stated -- in some 1988 issue of SAE -- that (to paraphrase) "The V6 from the AMT Opel was used [ for this (c.1932) Ford (pickup) that I built _______ years ago ] ..."

The image on the box looks like a 231 ( ad / sub seq. ) engine .

13 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Are the only Buick V6 options in 1/24th scale?, I need a Buick V6 for the 83-85 Cutlass, but that is 1/25th.

Don't reject out right a 1/24 scale engine for your 1/25 scale build.  I've used a few in past 1/25 scale builds,  if they pass the eyeball test.  

DSCN4590DSCN4452

Edited by afx

9 hours ago, afx said:

Don't reject out right a 1/24 scale engine for your 1/25 scale build.  I've used a few in past 1/25 scale builds,  if they pass the eyeball test.  

DSCN4590DSCN4452

Of course not, I was not out right rejecting, I do know it sounded like that

Edited by martinfan5

19 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It certainly has SOME kind of V6...but the illustration of the "race" version lacks the front distributor...and it's hard to tell about the center one.

The AMT opel GT's Buick V6 is garbage. Completely smooth and block cylinder heads and block (much like the AMT Gremlin's engine)...I would find something else:

opelgtengines.jpg.971ca49eaf5fd17726cb84dfd8af6b66.jpg

Edited by Casey

I'd go with the Jeepster V6 as it has the stock "stamped sheet metal" valve covers.  The long block is pretty decent too.  You'll have to scour the parts box for things like the correct air filter (maybe the V8 piece is close enough?).  I'd guess that the Jeepster exhaust manifolds are specific to Jeep applications, and you'll probably end up scratching or adapting something for those.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think the V6 in the Monogram El Camino kit is a Chevy and not a Buick.