Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best way to ship a lot of models?

Long story short, I had to leave a lot of personal items in a friend's storage unit in Dallas so I could take care of a drastic situation 1,000 miles away.  It looks like I'm going to be here for an extended amount of time, and I was wondering what it might take to get my models up here.  They're currently in huge (roughly 3'x3') moving boxes, and assuming UPS or USPS would ship them, I'm betting the cost would be astronomical.  (One medium-sized box with some important papers etc cost me $27.00)

As you probably already understand, the weight won't be much, but the box dimensions seem to preclude the usual shipping methods.  Should I look into moving companies?  LTL freight?  Don't laugh, I'm just out of good ideas.

TIA for any helpful ideas.  

Is it practical for you to return and pack your models yourself.  I have moved several times including cross country using Commercial Movers. I have been fortunate in that any damage has been very minimal. No mater how you have your kits transported they will experience a lot of vibrations and even some hard shaking. What I did was to wrap each model with Tissue paper inside the box that the model was purchased in. I then put the boxed models in regular size shipping boxes that most Movers use. Make sure that the boxes are fairly tight inside the shipping boxes to minimize any movement. With this type of packing I think any Commercial Moving Company would be your best bet for transportation unless you can get a Rental Van and do it yourself. Hope these helps and good luck on your move.  

The link below says they specialize in small moves, and they'll give you a free quote for 1-10 items or more than 10.  Otherwise I've never used them and know nothing about them.

I did do a cross-country move in 2015 and learned one thing:  this is the time of year to move stuff, but you might want to hurry.  Summer is peak moving season and it can be a lot harder to schedule a delivery then.  I learned that the hard way, since my delivery didn't happen until July.  I had to buy a house, etc., before I could get all my things delivered.

https://www.tsishipping.com/moving-services/small-moves

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Be careful when leaving plastic models in non-climate-controlled storage units. Those get very hot (especially in TX in the summer). You might end up with some warped models (or with some tire rot).

Taxes is very hot but most are shipped her in steel containers so thier exposed to heat..

20 hours ago, Casey said:

Try Greyhound Package Express: http://www.shipgreyhound.com/e/pages/Home.aspx

I've used it to ship a roll bar for a Dodge Power Wagon and was very pleased with the shipping service and cost. The closer you are to terminals at both ends, the better.

Casey, I appreciate your input on this.  I had my hopes up till I called to get more info.  Their nearest terminal is 150 miles away, and it would still cost over $200 for those 4 boxes.  

I sold about 70 models last summer and it cost me $130 to ship them from Charlotte to Maryland via UPS. I considered the post office but figured UPS deals with larger packages all the time and was the better choice for them to arrive intact, which they did. 

I would think this out clearly and decide if you really need to have ALL of the models shipped to you now, or will you be returning periodically to Dallas and could possibly get them then? 

23 hours ago, slusher said:

Taxes is very hot but most are shipped her in steel containers so thier exposed to heat..

Yes, but in a storage unit they will be siting for weeks or months.  I've seen warped parts in kits after they sat in an attic (in New England) for extended period of time. I just wanted to warn about a possible problem.