Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Big Scale Corvettes

Steve Osbourne

I've been building this Corvette on the side while I'm finishing up the Lindberg T pickup. I actually have all 4 Monogram Vettes and my goal is to build them each with mild modifications or custom add-ons.

These kits are short on working features if that's what you are looking for but have oodles of potential. If you want to show off a really cool paint job, these large models are great. I'm sticking to simple body mods, engine upgrades, wheels and interior.

I'll start posting my progress here.

82-03.jpg

40 minutes ago, Steve Osbourne said:

Thanks John. Yes, they are big. I'm pretty much ready to start spraying on the maroon body color.

Maroon will look nice on that. How about a dark silver/metallic gray stripe on the hood/ Kind of like the 67 Vette had/ JMHO.

1 hour ago, pharoah said:

Maroon will look nice on that. How about a dark silver/metallic gray stripe on the hood/ Kind of like the 67 Vette had/ JMHO.

That sounds interesting. I'm doing the rocker panels in matt black. With the tinted windows, black interior and dark Torq Thrust rims I thought it would look cool. Once I get some color on the body I'll look into the stripe idea.

It has been too cold to paint but this weekend it warmed up so I was able to shoot the first few light coats of Tamiya TS-11 Maroon. I also heat the paint up by placing the can in hot water before using and shaking the can after every pass. Makes a huge difference. Afterwards, I couldn't resist posing with window glass and two Torq Thrusts. I'll let this sit for a week and then wet sand with 600 grit and repeat the light coats of maroon.

82-24.jpg

82-23.jpg

Having received the Chevy big block from Shapeways and after doing a few test fits I'm thinking seriously about using it here. I have both the cross ram fuel injection and the single quad Holley for induction choices. Both appear to fit under the modified hood. The TDR stuff is first quality all the way.

82-30.jpg

82-32.jpg

82-36.jpg

82-31.jpg

I thought I'd share my methods for assembling t he 3-D parts. I make little plastic locating pieces together - like the heads & valve covers, heads & engine block, oil pan & engine block, etc. Nothing shown here is permanently installed but rather held in by compression.

First, the oil pan...

82-48.jpg

82-47.jpg

Paint update...I shouldn't have rushed things and done a better job wet sanding last time as there were numerous trouble spots that had to be addressed.  On a model this large, imperfections in the paint become increasingly more apparent. I've tried to take this project a step further by removing all the body chrome so I could focus on highlighting the smooth and flowing lines of  the C3 Corvette. Noticeable flaws would be bad. But the next paint session went real good as the weather was very good for painting able to lay down multiple light coats followed by several heavier wet coats. I'll post a couple of outdoor shots in my next post.

82-77.jpg

82-76.jpg

82-75.jpg