Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Big Scale Corvettes

Steve Osbourne

And here is the result. I'm now going to let it sit for a week or so and then go back and mask off the areas that will get painted matt black.

After all that is done I'll go back and wax the entire body with Meguiars Show Car Wax #7.

I'm not sure if I mentioned earlier but the big block is going in the next Corvette (78, also C3). This one will still get the original kit small block 350 with upgrades to headers, Holley carb, manifold and air cleaner.

82-68.jpg

82-70.jpg

82-71.jpg

82-73.jpg

82-74.jpg

82-69.jpg

I forgot to point out one small detail on this photo. Note the air vent on the dashboard has been opened up and the radio speakers are gone. I was going to try and replace the speakers with metal mesh or similar but made a mess of it so now we'll just call it radio delete.

82-70.jpg

I spent some time working on the TDR Muncie 4-speed transmission with Hurst shifter. I made the rod adjusting buttons from 3/32" dia. aluminum tube with a slightly longer piece of 1/16" aluminum rod inserted. I then drilled out both pieces together to accept the rods. The pivot arms are made from 2 levels of .030 Evergreen sheet with quarter-round strip added to both sides where the 2 pieces transition. I made extras. I'm using 0-80 hardware for the pivot bolts. They will  attach to the side cover and extension using 0-80 threaded inserts. The fake mainshaft is an assembly aid only. It will attach to a corresponding tube I'll build into the engine block.

MUNCIE-HURST-01.jpg

MUNCIE-HURST-02.jpg

MUNCIE-HURST-03.jpg

MUNCIE-HURST-04.jpg

MUNCIE-HURST-06.jpg

MUNCIE-HURST-05.jpg

MUNCIE-HURST-07.jpg

Update. I finished painting all the trim on the body and then polished with Meguairs #7 Show Car Wax. I also finished painting the mirrors (matt black), rocker panels (gloss black) and side air scoops (matt black). I should be able to attach those items and the window glass by tomorrow.

82-85.jpg

82-88.jpg

82-89.jpg

82-99.jpg

Thanks Bruce. I ran into very a minor snag with the mirrors. For some reason the Monogram engineers  decided to put the mirror glass on the aluminum sprue instead of the chrome meaniung there was absolutely no reflection. I sanded the face and edges of the mirrors smooth and then glued some craft store mirror paper (ususally in the scrapbooking section of your LHS) and then used a black sharpie on the edges. I then glued the faces to the mirror body using black CA. Check out the new reflection...

Note the 0-80 studs & nut on the mirror body which is how the mirrors will cleanly attach to the body.

82-105.jpg

82-104.jpg

I finished mounting the rocker panels, side scoops, front grill mesh and 'gascap'. The license plates (from MINIPL8S) are test fir on;e and will be mounted with mini-hardware. I may make rims also. I couldn't adjust the light to where I could get a good shot of the rocker panels and side scoops. I'll try and get some outdoor shots tomorrow,

I also added some details to the tail lights and they should be ready to mount tomorrow

I forgot that I won't be installing the window glass until final assembly. This is because I added studs to the body, interior and chassis that will securely join these sub-assemblies later with nuts. I'll be sure to point this out later.

82-118.jpg

82-119.jpg

82-120.jpg

I finished the tail lights last night. I tried painting the back side of the back-up light lens flat white but it looked way too white from the other side. Also, the stem that mounts the lens shows as a small clear dot in the middle. So I cut off the stem and sanded the lens back smooth. I then used a Molotow 2mm chrome pen to color the back. Much better.  I used the same pen to highlight the edges of all the lights, similar to an earlier C3 Corvette. The red lens' clashed with the maroon body color without the chrome trim.

Next up is the license plate.

82-143.jpg

82-144.jpg

82-145.jpg

I apolgize for the redundancy. I just get excited when I start to see my vision start to take shape and I want to share both the build and the techniques that I use in real time. There are many professional and expert modelers here that have much more to offer than me and I have learned much from them. I'll suspend posting until I have something substantial to post. Thanks for the comments

On 4/25/2018 at 6:36 AM, Steve Osbourne said:

I apolgize for the redundancy. I just get excited when I start to see my vision start to take shape and I want to share both the build and the techniques that I use in real time. There are many professional and expert modelers here that have much more to offer than me and I have learned much from them. I'll suspend posting until I have something substantial to post. Thanks for the comments

Speaking for myself Steve, I see no redundancy ... your pics are great and all are “substantial” and beyond . Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...