Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why don't we have a nice Plastic Crosley kit ?

Hardly anyone would buy it. There's no market to sell even 5,000 of such a kit, no matter how many different "versions", but you already know that.

Another example of a subject an aftermarket company could (and IIRC, one already does) provide and satisfy 99.7% of those who want one. For the remaining .03%, they can scratchbuild the Crosley of their dreams.

14 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Drag racing ?

The only thing Crosley about those is the body shell, and R&R and Fremont Racing Specialties have that covered.

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

Hardly anyone would buy it. There's no market to sell even 5,000 of such a kit, no matter how many different "versions", but you already know that.

Another example of a subject an aftermarket company could (and IIRC, one already does) provide and satisfy 99.7% of those who want one. For the remaining .03%, they can scratchbuild the Crosley of their dreams.

The only thing Crosley about those is the body shell, and R&R and Fremont Racing Specialties have that covered.

the late Ray Parsons did, a good 20-25 yrs ago, and it was surprisingly very good!

14 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Kinda like Hudsons and Chrysler 300's :blink:

Again, no. I'd love a Willys Aero as a kit, but I'm honest enough to admit it would never sell enough units to justify the investment. As Rob said, far too obscure, no specific racing pedigree like the Hudson Hornet and 300C had. Look at these production numbers...minuscule in comparison to other manufacturers: 

crosley.png.69dd273e5de1c47138f71186fb8c7259.png

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Could be many different versions 

a great kit that could grow just like the Revell '32's or Monograms '65-'66 Mustangs

Hmmmmm...the '32 Ford is THE iconic hot-rod.

The Mustang is probably THE most instantly recognizable car on the planet.

The Crosley? Cute and quirky, interesting technically with its sheetmetal engine, even a Sebring winner (index of performance, 1950...and almost at LeMans) but hardly well known except to a bunch of "past it" geezers like us.

Would I buy one? Sure. I'd probably buy several. But you, me, and 100 other guys just aren't enough to justify the tooling expense.

PS: In a somewhat similar vein, does anybody know how well the Revell Offy and V8-60-powered midget race cars did? I'd think the Crosley would find its widest market with the guys who bought those.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

PS: In a somewhat similar vein, does anybody know how well the Revell Offy and V8-60-powered midget race cars did? I'd think the Crosley would find its widest market with the guys who bought those.

The V8-60 midget kit did turn up in one of the "closeout" stores a few years ago.  I don't recall seeing any of the Offenhauser version there. 

My older brother was into midget race cars for a long time (restored one and pieced a couple others together)...when those kits came out, he was telling me that the Offy would way outsell the 60.  A lot of guys, him included, couldn't stand the V8-60 cars.  With those guys, I think it has to do with the larger grille opening the V8 cars needed; they just don't like the looks of it.  He pieced a prewar Hillegas rail-frame car together into a roller, but sold it rather than finish it because he couldn't afford an Offy and hated the 60 that was in it.  The Kurtis midget that he restored had a four-cylinder Ferguson overhead-valve engine in it (a four-cylinder version of the early Fifties Ford straight six).  Again, couldn't afford an Offy but it wasn't a V8-60.  He didn't want a Chevy Nova four or a Falcon six; those were "too new".  I'd guess that the Kurtis/Offy kit will get reissued again in the next couple of years, but not the 60.

As for the Crosley, I was sort of expecting a second kit based on the Slingster dragster, with a chopped Crosley body replacing the American Bantam coupe.  That kit may not have lived up to expectations, at least not enough to prod Revell to do a second version... 

I love Crosleys, and have been a member of the Crosley club for many years. As much as I would to see especially a Hot Shot in styrene plastic, I too don't think there is enough market for a major model manufacturer to tool up one. But, if they do, I'll be adding at least one to my collection. 

Edited by unclescott58

The wagon looks like a pretty basic shape, why not try to get side profiles and detail shots and try to scratch build one out of sheet plastic?

That hood area looks roughly like 53 Chevy chopped down - and go from there.

Scratchbuilding isn't that hard, if you have scale measurements and break the object down into basic shapes. And you can get measurements from side views of cars online.

Try it, what have you got to lose?

Happy building! 

I'd probably buy one, though truth be told, there are any number of choices I'd put ahead of that, especially if we're talking about what would be a best seller.  Then again, there are any number of kits recently that have made me go "Seriously?  Of all the cool and exciting vehicles that have come out in the past hundred plus years, this is what you thought was worth cutting a set of moulds for?",  so I probably don't have a finger on the pulse of the market.

14 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Kinda like Hudsons and Chrysler 300's :blink:

Except that both Hudson and Chrysler, certainly in the 50's, had very strong high-performance creds, while Crosley's went to the crusher so quickly, that by 1960, it was pretty rare to see one rolling down the street.

• Xingu locked this topic