Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many builds?

Main builds on the bench...only one at the moment: a 1/8 scale Harley Sportster "Bronson bike" restoration.

First-string builds, well over 20. These are the ones that get worked on fairly regularly, and I know exactly where I'm going.

"Resting" but not put away, well over 60. These are the ones where my idea has changed, or a problem has cropped up, or I need to acquire more parts, or do more research...and in some cases, to allow my skills to catch up with my vision (BMF).

Probably a couple dozen. But when I'm getting serious, probably two or three. 

Right now I'm about to finish one up, am about halfway through a second one, and as soon as one gets off the bench, I know exactly what will be taking its place. 

I only done at a time. At one time I tried the assembly line approach to get more models finished for a local contest. The idea was to consolidate various steps like painting all of the chassis parts in one go and so on in order to save time. I did get more models done in less time that way, but the lesson learnt was that the quality suffered badly. It didn't allow for the creative juices to flow like they do when focusing all my attention on one build.

I have 6 Tamiya Sierras on the bench at the moment. Two are restorations of old builds, two are half finished projects from years past and two are new builds. Each of them will be built differently with different roll cages, exhausts, RHD conversions and dash layouts so there is enough to keep me busy for a while. I painted the bodies, interior and chassis pieces last year and have recently been focused on painting all of the small bits and sorting out all of the details that are specific for the version that I am doing at the time. Sometimes it seems that I have bitten off more than i can chew but I'll get them done.

11 hours ago, rel14 said:

Lost count,    

I love that answer Randy...LOL..   Me...if you count the restorations waiting for parts to be found for them I have around 100 but cant work on them all at once or till I find what they need so its which ever one I can.   Then there is about 40 project build ideas I want to try out but normally I will work on just one at a time...maybe two..?

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Main builds on the bench...only one at the moment: a 1/8 scale Harley Sportster "Bronson bike" restoration.

First-string builds, well over 20. These are the ones that get worked on fairly regularly, and I know exactly where I'm going.

"Resting" but not put away, well over 60. These are the ones where my idea has changed, or a problem has cropped up, or I need to acquire more parts, or do more research...and in some cases, to allow my skills to catch up with my vision (BMF).

This is exactly the categories mine fall into, with only slightly less in the numbers. ;)

I keep bringing my TR4A to the front in hopes of seeing this done.

I've got about 12 on the bench right now. My garage is insulated, but not heated, so I can't do any spraying during the winter. I build until I get to point that requires spraying, then it gets put to the side and I work on something else. 

Once the weather turns adn it's consistantly nice out, I'll have a flurry of activity. SHould be able to finish quite a few kits this year!

Since I have a hard time trying to walk and chew gum at the same time I try to stay with one build at a time. With to many models on the bench at one time  it seems to little gets finished and sometimes I lose track of what I was trying to accomplish on any one build. I'd just do one at a time and make that your main focus.