Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is the common kit for the Showdown on Saturday, needless to say, I'm behind the 8-ball! The plan was to re-build a lot of the suspension detail with aluminum tube and rod ends to dress it up, however, due to time constraints, I've had to settle for painting with contrasting colors to develop some dimension. Fireball modelworks wheels and tires, as well as fender flares once the new set arrives on Friday!

This is the 3rd round of paint. The original plan was wild strawberry metallic, I had some custom mix from several years back that was still good. The first round of paint had some trash in it, then the clear went wrong, so I stripped it. The second round, I had a bad mix ratio of paint to reducer and it wasn't going to cure in time to clear it. So, I picked up a can of Duplicolor Toreador Red. When using Duplicolor base colors, I can generally go from primer to clear in 1-2 hours. I use Advantage 545 urethane clear. This clear is marketed towards auto body repair shops to help increase production. You can generally go from clear to polishing in 24-48 hours, which is essential for this project!

The chassis is just about complete, just some touch up details to take care of. I had planned on painting the bead locks on the wheels black, however, that may not happen due to the amount of time I have to complete this.

Power will come from a Coyote 5.0 from the '14 Mustang GT kit. I had to narrow the inner fenders just a tad to accommodate the width of the valve covers.

Body: Ford Toreador Red

Engine bay and under hood: Model Master buffing metallics Exhaust

Wheels: Fireball model works painted in alclad pale gold

c360ff074a3d82b2c8aed85cd5022676.jpg

This thing is quite literally, being thrown together. Although, I do love the color combo! Trying to "complete" it for the Showdown tomorrow. The body was painted and cleared 2 days ago and polished today. The clear is 100% way too thick and I lost some detail, so, it will get tacked on with super glue and taken apart after the show and cleaned up and done properly. The wheels could use another coat of alclad pale gold and I think the bead locks need to be black. Lots of other little details that need re-done. This is the Theme or common kit for the show tomorrow, so I wanted to make sure I had one to display/enter.

c360ff074a3d82b2c8aed85cd5022676.jpg

c0d93c9912225aaa669b220d0744ba34.jpg