Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram BADMAN

On 3/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, Greg Myers said:

The BADMAN kit was based on Monograms original 1955 Chevrolet Customizing kit. 

Thus the weird issues Rob Mattis listed above. ^_^

55chevy1.jpg

monogram-55chevy1.JPG

I recently scored a very restorable glue bomb of this model with the custom goodies installed. 

55ChevMonogram02.jpg.79c5297f75541d71fba0128082d54eef.jpg

55ChevMonogram05.jpg.10711053a58f4a1b99e62cf2b23e80a2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:50 AM, oldnslow said:

I was considering adding the supercharged Big Block from the 39 Chevy kit to get the engine "right" . I also want to build the "other car" on the box , a lot more leeway there . :lol:

170246-10571-pristine.jpg The lavender one on the right ?

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:45 AM, Snake45 said:

I recently scored a very restorable glue bomb of this model with the custom goodies installed. 

55ChevMonogram02.jpg.79c5297f75541d71fba0128082d54eef.jpg

55ChevMonogram05.jpg.10711053a58f4a1b99e62cf2b23e80a2.jpg

You see where the top issues come from with the custom roof.  But I wonder what happened with the front door gap ?

Here's the beginning of mine. It should sit like this. The engine and bellhousing are from the '66 Malibu (Red one), the trans is from the '70. I'll be using Miss Deal's rearend!grin I have a spray can of Tamiya "Lavender" that I'll use to color it, and, I've chosen an appropriate name. I replaced the front chassis clip with Evergreen strip, and I've begun making new leaf springs for it. I may start a build thread for it.

IMG_4136cr.jpg

IMG_4137cr.jpg

38 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Here's the beginning of mine. It should sit like this. The engine and bellhousing are from the '66 Malibu (Red one), the trans is from the '70. I'll be using Miss Deal's rearend!grin I have a spray can of Tamiya "Lavender" that I'll use to color it, and, I've chosen an appropriate name. I replaced the front chassis clip with Evergreen strip, and I've begun making new leaf springs for it. I may start a build thread for it.

IMG_4136cr.jpg

IMG_4137cr.jpg

Great "sit!" You could have achieved the same thing by mounting the front axle on top of the springs instead of underneath them. I didn't discover this until I had my chassis SOLIDLY glued together and painted. I ended up dropping the front of the body over the frame a bit by taking a "pie section" out of the sides of the interior. 

55Chevy1A.jpg.78858e681ee06f9d5957d37fdb328966.jpg

Edited by Snake45

On 4.10.2018 at 5:57 PM, Straightliner59 said:

That start looks really good! I'd be very interested in seeing a build thread on that project, I built mine with the same engine as you're planning to.

Even though the kit is a bit simple, it can be built into a decent model. Here is my version, some improvements were made to the kit during the build...

DSCN9207_zpsl2pn6egj-vi.jpg

DSCN9216_zpsaxnbd6ww-vi.jpg

DSCN9233_zps6wftuvph-vi.jpg

DSCN9237_zpsh0kakhfl-vi.jpg

6 hours ago, W-409 said:

That start looks really good! I'd be very interested in seeing a build thread on that project, I built mine with the same engine as you're planning to.

Even though the kit is a bit simple, it can be built into a decent model. Here is my version, some improvements were made to the kit during the build...

I really like yours! Thanks for your kind words! It's simple, for sure, but it's a fun kit to build! Since I mostly build curbside stuff, I'm not going to remove the molded-in exhaust pipes. I'll just build a set of fenderwell headers, although I've always loved the way the headers dump, as the are in the kit. I strive for accuracy, and I doubt those would be as efficient as the fenderwell pipes. I'll start a build thread, maybe over the weekend.

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I really like yours! Thanks for your kind words! It's simple, for sure, but it's a fun kit to build! Since I mostly build curbside stuff, I'm not going to remove the molded-in exhaust pipes. I'll just build a set of fenderwell headers, although I've always loved the way the headers dump, as the are in the kit. I strive for accuracy, and I doubt those would be as efficient as the fenderwell pipes. I'll start a build thread, maybe over the weekend.

Thanks!

Removing the exhaust pipes was a lot of work and while doing that I kept thinking that I should have started with the Revell's newer '55 Chevy kit. :P But it was fun to build this old kit, trying to make it a bit more accurate at the same time.

Yep, the kit headers are pretty cool, but I didn't use them either. My headers were also scratchbuilt from plastic rod and sheet styrene.

• 4 years later...
39 minutes ago, 55BADMAN said:

Last post in 2018, I'll start a new one...

You did, but posted it in a section dedicated to discussions about the Model Car Magazine.  The section this thread is in would have been a better choice.  The moderators will probably move it here (and even merge into this thread).

There is nothing wrong with reviving an old thread is you're adding to the old discussion.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

You did, but posted it in a section dedicated to discussions about the Model Car Magazine.  The section this thread is in would have been a better choice.  The moderators will probably move it here (and even merge into this thread).

There is nothing wrong with reviving an old thread is you're adding to the old discussion.

Thanks, I was wondering about that thinking the section was just for discussions as part of the "Model Car Magazine" site. I'll move!

I am trying to put together a timeline/chronology for the different iterations of the Badman kit with details to better identify and date them. I know a few things already but there are still some shady areas. For example, I have two that seem to be first runs of the kit circa 1970, but they bare different numbers. 6747 which is a Mattel reference number, and PC229 which is a MONOGRAM number. Boxes are otherwise identical, and not 90s reissues to my knowledge. So, which came first? And in what year, 1969 or 70? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1868_res.jpg

12 minutes ago, 55BADMAN said:

I am trying to put together a timeline/chronology for the different iterations of the Badman kit with details to better identify and date them. I know a few things already but there are still some shady areas. For example, I have two that seem to be first runs of the kit circa 1970, but they bare different numbers. 6747 which is a Mattel reference number, and PC229 which is a MONOGRAM number. Boxes are otherwise identical, and not 90s reissues to my knowledge. So, which came first? And in what year, 1969 or 70? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1868_res.jpg

I think Mattel did away with the "Price" on the box code, which would apparently been $2 bucks on the Monogram coded one. But, I could be wrong, as I am only going on what I can barely remember. 

And it was 1970

Edited by Daddyfink

14 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

I think Mattel did away with the "Price" on the box code, which would apparently been $2 bucks on the Monogram coded one. But, I could be wrong, as I am only going on what I can barely remember. 

And it was 1970

Makes sense... great info, thanks!