Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Rodder's Journal first Deuce Coupe

Phildaupho

I needed an easy build project from my list of previously started models. This curbside/slammer/out-of-the-box build was inspired by the first bare-steel deuce coupe in issue #1 of The Rodder’s Journal almost 24 years ago. In completed gloss black with polished wheels it was also TRJ’s first poster car after being featured in issue #8. I have already started work on a fully detailed model of the completed car.

PAINT – Of course I naturally figured the perfect paint would be Testor’s Metallizer Steel, which is non-buffing. Although I like the way the completed model looks I may have more closely replicated how the bare steel of the real car appeared in the TRJ photos by using one of the other Metallizers like Aluminium Plate - Buffing.

image.thumb.png.556c2e3bba945d1313f61f15da23911d.pngimage.thumb.png.db0e77683099990f38d5d2a983637f9d.pngimage.thumb.png.da78f06e9b8e3888eaeb1545325de3e4.pngimage.png.0012d202fcd1fafde048db7e15e63fdf.png

Nicely done quickie, Phil. I'm rapidly becoming a fan of doing these short projects between major thrashes - they keep the juices flowing and unclutter some corners of my brain when I need to get out a simple idea simply done. I look forward to the fully finished example. I'm sure it will be a fine addition to your sterling Deuce collection!

Your model reminded me that over the last couple of years I've developed a baremetal steel technique that yields a very convincing finish and can be easily controlled to moffer varying degrees of tarnish, polish, rust, etc. I've posted a brief post about it which can be found here:

Edited by Bernard Kron

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 5:19 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Nice

21 hours ago, slusher said:

Very nice!

15 hours ago, PARTSMARTY said:

very cool !!!

12 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I like it. Nice work.

8 hours ago, Flatout said:

Nice job Phil...you nailed the stance, it sits just right!

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

8 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Nicely done quickie, Phil. I'm rapidly becoming a fan of doing these short projects between major thrashes - they keep the juices flowing and unclutter some corners of my brain when I need to get out a simple idea simply done. I look forward to the fully finished example. I'm sure it will be a fine addition to your sterling Deuce collection!

Your model reminded me that over the last couple of years I've developed a baremetal steel technique that yields a very convincing finish and can be easily controlled to moffer varying degrees of tarnish, polish, rust, etc. I've posted a brief post about it which can be found here:

Thanks Bernard - I will likely do more bare steel models. After hot rod history they are my favorite features in The Rodder's Journal

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Bantoft said:

Nice build Phil, I have one to do, they say copying is the sincerest form of flattery. Hope you don't mind!

Dave B

15 minutes ago, RAMBENNA said:

great job, really like the bare metal look ,super build

Thanks guys - I have started a new post On the Workbench on the continuation of this project