Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa is asking what kits you would like to have in future

I can think of a few subjects I would like to see, which would fit in with their 1960's and 70's theme:

1. Datsun 1200 coupe/sedan (some parts sharing between these and the available Sunny Pickup)

2. Datsun 510 2-door

3. Mazda RX2-4 coupes

4. Ford Cortina Mk.I/II

5. Any of those odd early '60s Japanese cars you can only find in 1/32 from Arii.

3 hours ago, fumi said:

The sensible choices for them would be subjects that would definitely sell in Japan, which also appeal to foreign (not just the US) markets.

I asked for 1st/2nd gen Integra, Starlet and Swift GTi.  The Starlet in particular has quite a following in Japan.

Yes but still the question has been asked on a website of a US distributor (which Hasegawa US is) so the bulk of the input will be most likely of North Americans :D

On the other hand if a more global oriented site like Perth military modeling would post the question, they will get (military modeling) suggestions from all over the place, same if Hasegawa posts on FB.

4 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Yes but still the question has been asked on a website of a US distributor (which Hasegawa US is) so the bulk of the input will be most likely of North Americans :D

On the other hand if a more global oriented site like Perth military modeling would post the question, they will get (military modeling) suggestions from all over the place, same if Hasegawa posts on FB.

After all, North America is a fairly big market. I think they would smart in pursuing it more. I will buy more of their kits if they start offering kits that appeal to me more. I've been very happy with the Hasegawa kits I've built so far. Again, I'd like to them and Tamiya offer more kits aimed at those of us over here in North America. I love their stuff. 

8 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

After all, North America is a fairly big market. I think they would smart in pursuing it more. I will buy more of their kits if they start offering kits that appeal to me more. I've been very happy with the Hasegawa kits I've built so far. Again, I'd like to them and Tamiya offer more kits aimed at those of us over here in North America. I love their stuff. 

I'm not denying that, in fact that's what the survey is all about.

3 hours ago, fumi said:

The sensible choices for them would be subjects that would definitely sell in Japan, which also appeal to foreign (not just the US) markets.

I asked for 1st/2nd gen Integra, Starlet and Swift GTi.  The Starlet in particular has quite a following in Japan.

Japanese car nuts seem to be interested in American and European cars as well,  and we've certainly seen Japanese kits of both.

In any case, what they asked is what you want to see.  I'm sure Hasegawa has people on their payroll to figure out which of those suggestions would actually sell.

2 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Japanese car nuts seem to be interested in American and European cars as well,  and we've certainly seen Japanese kits of both.

In any case, what they asked is what you want to see.  I'm sure Hasegawa has people on their payroll to figure out which of those suggestions would actually sell.

In violent American cars?

:D

But yes, Japanese manufacturers during the years had US cars in their lineup, the last I recall was the Chevy Astro/GMC Safari

European cars until today always have been in their lineup.

17 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

In violent American cars?

But yes, Japanese manufacturers during the years had US cars in their lineup, the last I recall was the Chevy Astro/GMC Safari

European cars until today always have been in their lineup.

I'm not sure how American cars are more violent that any others.  If anything, America has been a leader when it comes to making cars that are both safe and friendly to the environment.  Maybe they're a little more extreme than what your typical European drives, but both Europe and Japan have shown that they can build cars that are just as extreme, if not more so, as anything to come out of Detroit.

And as this show in Belgium shows, even with all their culture and sophistication, some Europeans are interested in American iron too.

maxresdefault.jpg

6 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I'm not sure how American cars are more violent that any others.  If anything, America has been a leader when it comes to making cars that are both safe and friendly to the environment.   

And as this show in Belgium shows, even with all their culture and sophistication, some Europeans are interested in American iron too.

That was a reference to the classic Arii 'American Violence' series of kits, no doubt...

4 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

That was a reference to the classic Arii 'American Violence' series of kits, no doubt...

If it is, if anything it supports the idea that the Japanese want American cars too.

And I think the BMW coupe would be a good choice as well.  It's gorgeous, hasn't been kitted, and Vintage European cars have traditionally been a staple of Japanese kitmakers.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

1 minute ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I'm not sure how American cars are more violent that any others.  If anything, America has been a leader when it comes to making cars that are both safe and friendly to the environment.  Maybe they're a little more extreme than what your typical European drives, but both Europe and Japan have shown that they can build cars that are just as extreme, if not more so, as anything to come out of Detroit.

Oops seems I couldn't make my joke come across...

Yodel I think it was (once) a model kit producer had a series called "American Violence" (if I can find a pic, of the box-art  I'll post it) featuring kits of American iron, like the late '70s Plymouth Fury/Dodge Monaco....

Anyway I love American cars, especially the big boats of the '70s, always have....always will.

:)

Arii had the 'American Violence' series...this Firebird, a '72 Mustang,  '72 Thunderbird and '73 Challenger also, I think..maybe others..I have later issues of the Thunderbird and Challenger with more sedate box art.

74tamd13.1.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

10 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

What Rob said 

Anyway here's a kit that sold me via the box-art, sadly Otaki didn't get the grille right, built both the stock as well as the Sheriff's version, both sadly were played to smithereens, and untill ten years ago I still had their boxes, but then sold them to a guy who loved the box-art.

tbird1972.jpg

18 hours ago, chitownbri said:

I requested first generation Toyota 4Runner.  I don't think a kit was ever made for that truck, or even the corresponding Toyota pickups from that era.

I want a 1980 4WD Toyota short bed pickup, full detail! I have all the snap ones from Revell and AMT.

There are lots of great suggestions listed here for new kits. Hasegawa has recently given us some great subjects that have not available in kit form - the BMW 2002 series for example. I would have considered adding them to my stash but for the inexcusable representation of the interiors. I dont even mind that they are curbside, but I refuse to purchase them in their current form and especially for the prices asked.

So my point here is that no matter the subjects they choose they have to do a lot better before I consider adding any of their newer kits to my already overflowing basement.

How about a re-tooling upgrade of your interiors Mr Hasegawa?

The question that always inspires a boat load of possibilities but with a limit of 200 characters I tired to keep my suggestions to three that have multiple possible releases and have seen little or no kits in the past.

The 260/289 Cobra hasn't had new tooling almost since the car appeared - the universal appeal cannot be denied and there is an almost endless list of variants that could be kitted of street or racing versions.

54152462-770-0@2X.jpg.49abf9ff4f71264d3ee3e1a45375d8a3.jpg

The Lola T70 coupe was a staple of sports/endurance racing from the late 60's, has never been kitted, and again a large number of variants are possible - especially if the driveline is included.  Even if we get only the Chevy engine, I would be more than happy to kit bash some of the others.

5a9b16ed4eb23_lolaT70Mkiii.jpg.6312e7fe2c2a075e4bd53cf34918fcf1.jpg

The Aston Martin V8 first appeared in 1969 (as the DBS V8) and lasted almost 20 years.  LOTS of possible variants - especially if the coupe and drop-top are kitted.

1280px-1973_Aston_Martin_V8_fl.jpg.2fa3b58fd55fe226ea8606b58f96eb20.jpg

12 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The more reason I think it's odd, that the question is asked on the US website, unless they're looking for subjects that are of mutual interest to the US and Japan modelers.

That could be what they are doing, trying get an idea of what the export markets have interest in.

20 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I put in my two yen worth:

1. 1973 Toyota Celica GT notchback (LHD US edition)
2. Reissue the 1966 Cadillac Coupe deVille with correct interior and chassis

About the same chance as finding a Wonka Golden Ticket, but hey, they asked...

And with correct dimensions!

This I what I put in....

1964-69 Toyota Corona
Early 70's Honda Z600
Early 70's Honda N360 (N III)
1959-62 Datsun 310 Bluebird
1958 Datsun 210
Any Toyota Crown 1955-70
Any Nissan Cedric 1960-70
1960's BMW 1600
60's-70's Datsun 510, 610, 810 Bluebird
70's Nissan 710 Violet