Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa is asking what kits you would like to have in future

I requested a LHD Toyota 2000GT. And a version of the '71 - '72 Toyota Celica as it appeared on the U.S. market at the time. It would be easy for Hasagawa to do both kits, since they have RHD Japanese versions of the kits in their inventory. 

I do think the Japanese manufacturers are missing the boat on not offering U.S. spec versions of Japanese vehicles. I'd like to build cars of stuff that was actually seen in the dealerships, and on the roads here. 

Edited by unclescott58

12 minutes ago, 68shortfleet said:

Made my request too. Thanks for the link.

Is it just me, or is their website very similar to the Revell website? They aren't under the same ownership are they?

Hobbico is the US importer for them.

The link in this thread is for the USA site, if you look at the Japan site, its very different

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/gsite/

Edited by martinfan5

Thank you for posting this.

My two yen. :lol:

1:24 1974 Honda 600 Z Coupe (Hybuska engine optional)
1:24 Lamborghini LM002
2016- Honda Civic Coupe (EX-T, Si, R)

They make the Honda sedan, the Coupe should be an automatic duh.
There has only been a rare expensive resin pre-built of LeMooTwo.
Because I own an EX-T Coupe.  I should have said 1:24 scale, Honda sent me a tiny scale model but it's red, mine is pearl white.

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I requested a LHD Toyota 2000GT. And a version of the '71 - '72 Toyota Celica as it appeared on the U.S. market at the time. It would be easy for Hasagawa to do both kits, since they have RHD Japanese versions of the kits in their inventory. 

I do the Japanese manufacturers are missing the boat on not offering U.S. spec versions of Japanese vehicles. I'd like to build cars of stuff that was actually seen in the dealerships, and on the roads here. 

No they aren't missing the boat, in just a quick 15 minute search through my stash all of these are Japanese made kits that are BOTH RHD and LHD, and I'm sure digging a little deeper I have more because I'm sure that I have at least a Toyota RAV 4 or a Honda CRV that also came with RHD and LHD drive options, and possibly both of them do. 

5a9a4483c120e_20180303_0143151.thumb.jpg.3b346453a20384878a98ca564103ff0e.jpg

Also, before any comments about the Toyota truck being done as a US version kit, it is still based from the Toyota Hi Lux and the kit does have both dash options as well as the stock height suspension pieces for the RHD Hi Lux variant. The Mugen Odyssey minivan is also done similarly, while the Mugen variant is supposed to be a JDM RHD, it still includes the LHD dashboard from the stock variants of the kit. 

Another is this from Tamiya, an 84 Honda Civic that includes both RHD and LHD dashes, and though I recently built this one, I plan on getting another just because I'm not happy how this one turned out. 

20170717_214132.thumb.jpg.79cebcc8e4a410e6a468836d8fb0e7a2.jpg

13 minutes ago, highway said:

No they aren't missing the boat, in just a quick 15 minute search through my stash all of these are Japanese made kits that are BOTH RHD and LHD, and I'm sure digging a little deeper I have more because I'm sure that I have at least a Toyota RAV 4 or a Honda CRV that also came with RHD and LHD drive options, and possibly both of them do. 

Also, before any comments about the Toyota truck being done as a US version kit, it is still based from the Toyota Hi Lux and the kit does have both dash options as well as the stock height suspension pieces for the RHD Hi Lux variant. The Mugen Odyssey minivan is also done similarly, while the Mugen variant is supposed to be a JDM RHD, it still includes the LHD dashboard from the stock variants of the kit. 

Another is this from Tamiya, an 84 Honda Civic that includes both RHD and LHD dashes, and though I recently built this one, I plan on getting another just because I'm not happy how this one turned out. 

I think the point that gets lost a lot of times is the Japan kits are not being made for us, they are being made for the home market , and many times,  they are doing subjects that dont always have LHD options.  Tamiya is really good at doing subjects that are exported to the USA and including LHD options.    Of course,  it would be lovely if we got more subjects that have a US export version and they included those the LHD options.

Edited by martinfan5

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I think the point that gets lost a lot of times is the Japan kits are not being made for us, they are being made for the home market , and many times,  they are doing subjects that dont always have LHD options.  Tamiya is really good at doing subjects that are exported to the USA and including LHD options.    Of course,  it would be lovely if we got more subjects that have a US export version and they included those the LHD options.

The more reason I think it's odd, that the question is asked on the US website, unless they're looking for subjects that are of mutual interest to the US and Japan modelers.

For cars it could mean...

Looking for subjects of Japanese cars, which are in demand in both the US as Japan, and tooling up the necessary bits to be able to sell them in the right spec on both markets, meaning maybe the US spec kits will come exclusively through US distribution. IMHO it  would be a good thing if the US distributor would order bagged shots and have them packaged here, (hmm reminds me of American Satco)

They also could be searching for data, on European cars, which were sold both in the US and Japan, so that US spec options would make sense when marketing them there.

For all the rest, it's searching for subjects which are wanted equally on, both the domestic and foreign markets, a certain type of plane, boat, space vessel, military vehicle like CUCV's, I just sent in on their request form...

Anyway...just thinking away here, comments, opinions very welcome, here on the "Model Cars Think Tank" :D

Edited by Luc Janssens

12 hours ago, LDO said:

I wished for a Shelby Daytona Cobra.

If Tamiya were asking, I would wish for an Archeopteryx to go along with their other dinosaurs. 

I would love  full detail cobra coupe as well...hiroboy  kits  are RATHER pricey.  unfortunately this will never happen as Shelby motorsports has made it clear that they want HUGE licensing fees for anything concerning the Daytona cobra coupe...at least that was their story when I contacted them a few years back.

Hasegawa is kind of a wildcard. I wouldn’t be surprised at anything they make. As far as I know, they have only made three US vehicles - a Ford Thunderbird, a Pontiac Bonneville, and a Willys “Jeep” - are there others? Their Kubelwagen was an odd (for military) scale and full detail. Their newest car is an Isuzu I mark. The BMW 2002 kind of popped out of nowhere. Sunny truck. They made a Jimny...etc

In my lame opinion, and since I saw a very nice US version yesterday...I think a 1980s Bluebird/Maxima is the next big seller. It was the first mass produced Japanese V6 car too, so...yeah. 

57D37E98-ECB2-4EA1-BB04-6ECCC5E2D921.jpeg

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The more reason I think it's odd, that the question is asked on the US website, unless they're looking for subjects that are of mutual interest to the US and Japan modelers.

The sensible choices for them would be subjects that would definitely sell in Japan, which also appeal to foreign (not just the US) markets.

I asked for 1st/2nd gen Integra, Starlet and Swift GTi.  The Starlet in particular has quite a following in Japan.

7 hours ago, highway said:

5a9a4483c120e_20180303_0143151.thumb.jpg.3b346453a20384878a98ca564103ff0e.jpg

20170717_214132.thumb.jpg.79cebcc8e4a410e6a468836d8fb0e7a2.jpg

All the cars your showing are too new for me. So I have little to no interest in them. I mainly want models of 1960's through early 70's Japanese cars and trucks. Hasegawa has made some very nice kits from that era. But only in RHD, Japanese market version of those vehicles. I'd just like to see some U.S. market version of those same cars. They've got the kits. How tooling some extra parts to a U.S. version of those cars? Their Toyota 2000GT and 1st generation Toyota Celicas I believe would be good sellers in this country, with the parts to convert them into U.S. spec versions.