Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Last Modelhaus order

On 4/15/2018 at 9:46 AM, High octane said:

Have their molds and rights to start making their parts again? The answer is NO as the business is "for sale" to anyone who can flash the ca$h and wants to work long hard hours to sell, cast, and send high quality resin kits and parts. 

Nick, it is a given that they would not "give" the molds away. By have I was thinking more in line of one of the other casters getting them from Don and Carol so that what they started could continue on!

I was in no way suggesting anything different.

I meant to mention this earlier but a couple weeks ago, I got my last Modelhaus order. The 1976 Cadillac Coupe De Ville that they made, and a set of 1960 Chevy Impala hubcaps. As much as I was thrilled to get the Caddy, it was also a bit sad as it's the last time I'll get something from them directly. True that time marches on, but it's a bit sobering to realize that a lot of our revered cottage industry casters are getting up in years, and of course they wouldn't be doing this forever.

Couldn't help but notice this particularly at the yesterday's Mid Atlantic NNL. It occurred to me that there are some that I've now known for 25+ years, and you can't help but notice the "graying" of the hobby. ;)

1 hour ago, PARTSMARTY said:

I really hope somebody buys there business-i believe it would flourish.Anybody please keep us informed.

Marty, I was just talking about this very thing with someone at the show. While it would be fantastic if someone bought the molds and such from Don and Carol, my better sense tells me that unfortunately with the demographics of our hobby literally changing by the year, I don't think whoever bought such a vast inventory would ever see a return on their investment.

Lets face it.................not many of us will be around say 20-30 years from now that will appreciate a 1969 Camaro, or those cars out of the '50's. I look no further than what I see showing up at the 1:1 car shows-------cars of the '70's and '80's now. Hard to believe, but that's what turning up.

It just goes to show that when you see that aftermarket item and you really want it and can afford it, better to grab it then and there than hesitating. You never know when the shop will close their doors, and you end up finding the same said item on eBay for instance and they want 10 times the original price for it. :( 

1 hour ago, PARTSMARTY said:

I really hope somebody buys there business-i believe it would flourish.Anybody please keep us informed.

I sincerely appreciate everything Don and Carol have done for our hobby but I highly doubt anyone will step up and buy the business. I spoke with Don two weeks ago and he sounded tired and ready for retirement, not sure he has it in him to teach someone the business if they were to sell it. At this point the best we can hope for is someone picks up part of their offering and continues the legacy.

6 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

As much as I was thrilled to get the Caddy, it was also a bit sad as it's the last time I'll get something from them directly. True that time marches on, but it's a bit sobering to realize that a lot of our revered cottage industry casters are getting up in years, and of course they wouldn't be doing this forever. My thoughts exactly Bill! 

my better sense tells me that unfortunately with the demographics of our hobby literally changing by the year, I don't think whoever bought such a vast inventory would ever see a return on their investment. Probably a good reason why they did not find a buyer, I am sure the asking price was reasonable, but considerable!

I look no further than what I see showing up at the 1:1 car shows-------cars of the '70's and '80's now. Hard to believe, but that's what turning up. Last week  I was in Knoxville TN and the NSRA show was being held at the same place as a work related event. While there were many "hot rods" from the 30's- 60's, also saw some '70's vehicles running around, a lot more than what I saw 5 years ago!

It just goes to show that when you see that aftermarket item and you really want it and can afford it, better to grab it then and there than hesitating. You never know when the shop will close their doors, and you end up finding the same said item on eBay for instance and they want 10 times the original price for it. :(  This is solid advice! I didn't follow it 25 years ago when I got back in the hobby, sure wish I had! Today, if I see something, I buy it (within reason) because I know I can always sell it if I don't use it.

27 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I sincerely appreciate everything Don and Carol have done for our hobby but I highly doubt anyone will step up and buy the business. I spoke with Don two weeks ago and he sounded tired and ready for retirement, not sure he has it in him to teach someone the business if they were to sell it. At this point the best we can hope for is someone picks up part of their offering and continues the legacy.

Mike, several years ago when I went to the Toledo show, I saw Don and Carol in person and I could tell that things were wearing on them then. First and foremost, it is a business to them and while they are "model people" there's still the business end to deal with and I can imagine it's not always sunshine and roses.

I can best believe that they'll be glad when they get that last order sent out the door, and can FINALLY relax! It's been a terrific run for them (since the early '80's?), and they probably never imagined they'd be seen as THE STANDARD when it came to all things resin in the aftermarket.

They indeed are already missed! They have sure earned their retirement though!

I just got The Call this evening--from Carol Holt, asking for my updated credit card info. Happy happy joy joy! She said they hoped to ship in the next week. Told me I didn't have The Very Last order, but they are getting very, very near the end. I wished them a happy retirement, thanked her for all their good work over the years and told her that they would be dearly missed in our community. 

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎25 at 7:42 AM, Mike Chernecki said:

Got the email my order shipped Monday. Kinda shocked as the Canadian dollar is not what it was when the order was placed. Ordered the 1968 Coronet, with shipping and exchange $150, I could have found an original for less.

When did you order?  XE shows the exchange level today to be within a couple of cents of what it was in the spring/summer of '16...

mike 

I got a call from Carol this afternoon that my order was shipping this week. Since I mailed that order on the very last day they were accepting them, they must be getting very near the end. I really have to hand it to them for sticking it out and completing all these orders. There aren't many out there who would do that.