Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fenderless Ford Roadster Hot Rods

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think the 1/24 Monogram '36 Ford would be a better starting point for a fenderless roadster. You'd still have some work to do, but the fenders are separate and there is a full frame, so no need to separate the two. Plus, you like old school hot rods, and this kit hasn't changed a whole lot over time, so it does have that vintage feel to it.

ONE MORE TIME...THE AMT FENDERS ARE SEPARATE FROM THE FULL FRAME. NO NEED TO SEPARATE THE TWO.

The design of the Monogram '36 Ford body, fenders and frame is almost identical to the AMT version. They assemble almost exactly the same way, and are broken down into almost identical parts...except for the scale.

I've only built several of each, and have several more on the shelf....and 3 in progress.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

" Plus, you like old school hot rods, and this kit hasn't changed a whole lot over time, so it does have that vintage feel to it. '

Appreciate it.

Not really hellbent on building one. Just noticed how good a fenderless roadster looked the other day.

Will look into that part about Revell kits haven't changed over the years.

I remember they had finer detail than other kits way back.

They were known as a better kit.

They used to be right there in Venice on Glencoe street.

After seeing this thread start I pulled out this kit and had a look. Although labor intensive, I don't think a fenderless rod would be all that hard to pull off. With the interior installed the frame channels nicely into the body. Z'ing the frame might be required to get the stance right, but it's definitely doable.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Bill, I'm not really a big fan of fenderless Ford bodies newer than 34, but your 36 looks incredible. I think it may have to do with you moving the front axle forward? This thing is sweet

Thank you, and you are correct.

The stock '36 Ford hangs the front axle behind the spring...

CIMG2110.jpg

Turning the assembly around on the model, to mount the axle ahead of the spring, gets rid of the stubby look of a fenderless '36 on stock suspension. All that's required is to add a tab to move the rear wishbone mount forward, or if the 'bones interfere with the oil pan, split the wishbones. Just like real. With the assembly reversed to push the axle forward, there's also a little fiddling required to attach the 'bones and spring to the axle correctly. There are several ways to do it. Here's a link to a bunch of guys arguing over it, and maybe one or two good photos...plus links to other links. :D  

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-push-an-early-ford-front-axle-out.547583/page-2

DSCN9261.jpg

image.jpeg.14fbf4441919700fb39a50e5bc75c4ef.jpeg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

That's all wonderfulness but those are coupes not roadsters.

Title of the post is 'Fenderless Ford ROADSTERS' not coupes.

Hard to have any clear thinking about this when it's not even the same car.

Sorry to be the bad guy here but that needed clearing up.

Okay with me to talk about them here. Just label them so at least.

Edited by regular guy

10 minutes ago, regular guy said:

That's all wonderfulness but those are coupes not roadsters.

Bob, I've already addressed the fact that you build a fenderless ROADSTER from the AMT kit exactly the same way you build the coupe. All the info I posted is relevant to both coupe and roadster.

10 minutes ago, regular guy said:

Hard to have any clear thinking about this when it's not even the same car.

Sorry to be the bad guy here but that needed clearing up.

The '36 Ford roadster is identical in every way to the '36 Ford coupe, other the fact that one has a soft top and different cowl, windshield, and doors.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Bill

10-4 Thanks.

' The '36 Ford coupe is identical in every way to the '36 Ford coupe, other the fact that one has a soft top. '

That be true. No doubt about it.

Roadsters are more of a California custom. Hard tops are Northeast and Midwest types.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I am absolutely amazed at the lack of posts about '32 roadster builds. I have been to my local plastic model kit supply house several times now, and they tell me that '32 Ford roadster kits are not being produced at this time. That car, the 1932 Ford roadster is the quintessential "hot rod", both in real life, and as a model kit. Some of the early dry lakes car clubs wouldn't even let you in the club and race at the lakes, if you didn't have a roadster, from a "T" to a '36, the hot one was a roadster.

Well it's not stopping me from my quest, I'm looking for '32 Ford roadster model kits, and I seem to remember a kit that I built years ago that had frame and fenders separate, ( maybe I did that, it was a long time ago ), so I can build up some 40's and 50's authentic hot rods. 

Here's what I'm talking about.

042.jpg

0404sr_milestones_13_z.jpg

0702rc_09_z+the_fastest_1932_fords_from_the_early_days_of_racing+.jpg

0702rc_10_z+the_fastest_1932_fords_from_the_early_days_of_racing+.jpg

1932-highboy-shade-tree-mechanic-big.jpg

1950 1932 Ford roadster UnseenDeepPurple-vi.jpg

Joe Nitti's Deuce.jpg

Pretty sure Revell has one out now.

Lindberg '32 Ford kit has been around for awhile.Get one from Ebay.

I just finished reading about hot rod history in Leroi Smith/Tex Smith's 'Make Your Own Hotrod'.

It says at the local California dry lakes they allowed roadsters and discouraged coupes and sedans.

One of the dry lakes is Edwards Air Force base now.

Lindberg kir is 1/24. I like it because it is bigger than 1/25.

Some parts you snag from 1/25 kits might not look right on it.

Don't be confused by the "alternative facts" offered by some posters.....

The Lindberg  "32" is kind of a joke by current standards.  Don't bother with it.

Revell has the 1/25 scale 32 Ford roadster (highboy) you want...currently out of production but it should be very easy to find. 

It has the separate frame you want. 

Various Revell  kits can provide all the parts you need to build either a new or old style 32 Roadster, and the aftermarket has even more parts for your project.

Edited by mike 51

54 minutes ago, spike morelli said:

I am absolutely amazed at the lack of posts about '32 roadster builds. I have been to my local plastic model kit supply house several times now, and they tell me that '32 Ford roadster kits are not being produced at this time. That car, the 1932 Ford roadster is the quintessential "hot rod", both in real life, and as a model kit. Some of the early dry lakes car clubs wouldn't even let you in the club and race at the lakes, if you didn't have a roadster, from a "T" to a '36, the hot one was a roadster.

Well it's not stopping me from my quest, I'm looking for '32 Ford roadster model kits...

I have multiple '32 Ford roadster builds going right here on this very forum. This one is based on the ancient AMT kit.  image.jpeg.c65ccd0938e10543f7157d462249483a.jpeg

The best of the 1/25 '32 roadster kits are from Revell. This is still readily available from about $30 to $50. They have separate framesImage result for Revell '32ford roadster

There's a Monogram kit listed as 1/24. No separate frame, but well-proportioned and much cheaper at around $25 shipped.     Image result for Revell '32ford roadster

As Mike said, the Lindberg version is absolute trash.

Yeah, I have the turquoise-with flames Monogram "32 Ford Street Rod roadster kit....fenders and frame are molded as one piece and it's a pretty generic 80s style trash. Its only in my possession "just in case". I will look around for the Revell kit as you say, mike 51, that looks like what i'm needing  I'm thinking probably 4 kits will satisfy my plans, I'm wanting to build historically and period correct models.

I am in agreement with you guys about Lindberg's kits....they never have been very realistic at all...so I'll pass on those

Edited by spike morelli

11 minutes ago, spike morelli said:

Yeah, I have the turquoise-with flames Monogram "32 Ford Street Rod roadster kit....fenders and frame are molded as one piece and it's a pretty generic 80s style trash. Its only in my possession "just in case". I will look around for the Revell kit as you say, mike 51.  I'm thinking probably 4 kits will satisfy my plans.

One good thing in that Monogram 1/24 kit is a louvered hood. It's too long and too wide at the rear to work on a 1/25 body, but shave the rear end of it to the correct length, and the width slots in pretty close to correct for 1/25.

The 1/24 Monogram body proportions are really close to some of the stretched "32 f'glass bodies that have been built, and ALL of the Revell 1/25 '32 Fords are on the same frame, so mix-n'-match is easy.

The downside to the Revell 1/25 kits is that they all have 4-link front suspension (the 5-window has optional hairpins) and a tubular front axle.

They also have a coil-sprung 9" Ford rear end. Takes some work to get an early or "traditional" car out of any of them.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

"Traditional" is where I'm going....many of the cars I'm interested in re-creating had Flatheads, banjo rear-ends, and such. One re-creation in mind was 327 Chevy powered with split wishbones. No doubt I'll be kit bashing and digging through parts boxes, but none of these cars will be built "off the top of my head", rather from photographs.

I at one time, owned a '32 roadster, a 30 model A coupe, and a '34 Ford three-window chopped/channeled/Hemi powered coupe, so I do know what the assemblies are all about. I have been building engines for many years now, so even that detail , in real life, is apparent to me. This was my '34 Coupe....and me with my '30 coupe ( with deuce grille and hot 'banger under the hood ). 

Todd's pic 34 side view.jpg

Annie with '32 grille, me, at rally.jpg

Edited by spike morelli

Early Revell Model A kits have many of the chassis parts ,rear end, stock and dropped I beam axles.  Revell 48 and 40 Fords (kits with custom options only) have  great hot rodded  flatheads and chassis parts.

Minatures and Replicas of Maryland has a 32 frame modified to accept the Model A parts (buggy springs) as well as Duval windshields and various other traditional parts.

Revell released 2 Model A hot rod kits recently that contain lots of great parts but they were only produced briefly  (29 highboy roadster and a 30 coupe) they may return later this year. 

Lots of very neat stuff out there for your projects..but it will take some looking.

Edited by mike 51

Mike 51, I looked around the internet, e-bay, various hobby shops.......and as you and my model shop confirmed, the Revell Highboy kit is not in production, but I found two and bought them an hour ago. And so, It starts, re-creating a handful of famous Deuce roadsters from the glory years of hot-rodding. I hope to post them up on the boards here when I'm done. As fate would have it, the Monogram fendered roadster kit has a dropped I-beam front end and a banjo rear end with wishbones, so those will be harvested. Thanks for the tip on old '40 Ford kits and such....as I'll need a few flatheads and accessories ( wheels/ tires etc ). Onward.... 

The most complicated part of building old style cars can be finding skinny front and rear tires .   Drag car fronts and tires from AMT  stock 34s  are often used ...I have a bunch of  Tamiya VW tires for the fronts on my cars.     I use tires from a Revell of Germany  50s  Mercedes racer for 2 sizes of rears.    Check build threads for other ideas.

Skinny steel wheels are easy to find...sadly there isn't much in the way of  Ford wire wheels.

Have fun!