Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fenderless Ford Roadster Hot Rods

1 hour ago, mike 51 said:

^^^^^

:rolleyes: I get the feeling he's never actually seen or touched any of the models he "talks" at us about....

Similar to being an expert on UFO's, the Loch Ness Monster or Sasquatches; although, a girl I went to school with came close to the latter. 

But, no one ever believes me, when I tell them about being inside the UFO.......... I'm not an expert in them, as I was only inside the one UFO, but I was there over 17 hours.

I'd never even think of calling myself and expert. :)

11 minutes ago, alexis said:

But, no one ever believes me, when I tell them about being inside the UFO.......... I'm not an expert in them, as I was only inside the one UFO, but I was there over 17 hours.

I'd never even think of calling myself and expert. :)

If you were "probed", you're an expert.  ;)

On 3/24/2018 at 5:22 PM, spike morelli said:

Hoo Boy! Did I ever get my tit in the ringer by calling the kit "trash"! What I was meaning to say was that the box art represents the car as an 80s style build. I am interested in building highboys only, so the body and fenders were to be kept "just in case", you know, I decided to cut them apart and create a highboy from the kit. The bulk of the other parts of that kit are good for my use, and, I'm certainly aware of the early suspension components , louvered hood, etc, that can be robbed for my purposes. No need to shame me by asking me to send it to you ( I'm sure you meant it in good fun ).  Since my initial posting, I've bought two Revell Highboy kits off the internet. It seems though, that I may find myself buying separate component from companies like Scale Masters ( did I get that name right?) , instead of paying 20$ for a kit just to get "a piece". Some of you have been doing retro style cars for a while, and have spare kit parts and such...I have a wall of kits, but mostly drag cars, show cars, so the parts to make the cars "correct" for their era will have to be dug up . Dave Van, and Dave Darby, you both are building in the eras I am pulling from. Nice cars, both of you.

Check out this glossy black Model A  on Deuce rails, teardrops, steelies, flathead V8, quick change, wishbones, at the lakes....it sure is cool. I believe this is one of Vic Edelbrock's.

autowp.ru_ford_edelbrock_special_highboy_roadster_7.jpg

It was all in good fun (although I totally accept free model kits!) I bought most of my Monogram 32s from Hobby Lobby at a discount back when they were still cheap. And bought a few used... Probably paid around 5 bucks each or so... My wife calls our basement "the hobby shop"...

While the new Revell 32s are "better"...

.I still  like the old Monogram  32 too (but only with fenders)...

(except that awful  3 window mess  they made from it (although it too had all the good pieces,except a body :rolleyes:)

On 4/2/2018 at 11:59 AM, regular guy said:

I'm still entranced by the little '34 Ford Roadster bare body from Jimmy Flintstone.

It just looks cool.

Never had any resin parts that I know of.

First thing I would do is stick it with an Xacto knife and see if it's soft.

Somehow I got the idea Resin parts are soft and waxy.

We'll see about that one.

On 4/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

So, um, you've never actually seen or handled a resin part?

On 4/2/2018 at 1:17 PM, mike 51 said:

^^^^^

:rolleyes: I get the feeling he's never actually seen or touched any of the models he "talks" at us about....

At least I have touched a resin part and have the body in question, as well as one I recently picked up with a nice chopped top, both made from the Monogram/Revell 34 Ford and even though I know the roadster is the Flintsone body, I'm unsure of the origins of the chopped version. 

HPIM1723.thumb.JPG.d4373e3a275faaf7c3d4b941074b440b.JPG

HPIM1724.thumb.JPG.8afe79edf5222df42e99bdf631fa6ba5.JPG

28580755_1742554239141232_1645101426_o.jpg.bfcf2bff64541837262f6471349d2974.jpg

HPIM1747.thumb.JPG.e5d4d8c26154f46802d4fe5681e69f45.JPG

I can confirm the resin bodies are quite hard and probably as hard or harder than an original kit body, but if you want to shove an X Acto blade through it and throw on average $20 - $40 out the window to find out for yourself, feel free to do so! I'm sure no one here will stop you! :lol:

Anyone care to bet how long this thread lasts before it joins the growing list of threads like this that have gone off the rails and locked in the past couple days?? :huh::rolleyes::lol:

16 minutes ago, highway said:

...I have...the body in question, as well as one I recently picked up with a nice chopped top, both made from the Monogram/Revell 34 Ford and even though I know the roadster is the Flintsone body, I'm unsure of the origins of the chopped version. 

28580755_1742554239141232_1645101426_o.jpg.bfcf2bff64541837262f6471349d2974.jpg

That looks pretty good. Nice starting point for something fast.  :D

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That looks pretty good. Nice starting point for something fast.  :D

Thank you, that is already my plans for it! :D After I bought the body, I had thought it would replace the Thom Taylor Cabrio body for this build

HPIM1904.thumb.JPG.e3947298369154c57d4fc87566bebb30.JPG

HPIM1905.thumb.JPG.285980aee8cafc936f2b63bea5fc82f9.JPG

but since I already had all the fenders firmly attached to the body and before I noticed the chopped body has the fenderless filler plugs in place, this project a friend named "10 in 5" because he said I was trying to fit 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bucket :lol: I'll keep it as is and the chopped will be a fenderless bigger brother! I might have to name the chopped "20 in 5"! :lol::lol::huh::o:o

' but if you want to shove an X Acto blade '

No.Just stick it on the inside to see what it's like.No man, I'm not going to make it unusable.

' Anyone care to bet how long this thread lasts before it joins the growing list of threads like this that have gone off the rails and locked in the past couple days??  '

No. I've learned my lesson.Will say my opinions but no more playing 'getting to know you' with forum members.

Not after that blowup.I wasn't expecting anything like that!

• 2 years later...

just now stumbled across this 36 Ford kit thread, & wondered if a review of the current issue of the AMT kit would be relevant? also, I could also cover  building a fenderless version, either highboy or channeled as well. that is, of course, if you think anyone would be interested...........

2 hours ago, robb shelby said:

just now stumbled across this 36 Ford kit thread, & wondered if a review of the current issue of the AMT kit would be relevant?

There's a rather thorough review topic for the AMT '36 Ford kit here: