Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Mercury Futura

Hi, new to the forum here, got a question for ya's...I just inherited a bunch of assembled models, one is a 1956 Revell Mercury Futura, looks like a bat mobile. How rare is this model, it is in like new shape, even the rear mid trunk antenna is there. Thanks for any help......

Welcome to the board!

Do you mean this one?...........

Lincoln_Futura_B.jpg

You've probably got this kit.........

revell-lincolnfutura.JPG

It was reissued some years ago-----(don't remember the year), and yes, it was the basis for the 1966 Batmobile.

The car was actually the 1955 Lincoln Futura dream car which Ford built to preview some styling cues coming for 1957.

The kit should be fairly common as it was a reissue..........I don't think I've ever seen one built up though! <_<

Welcome to the board!

Do you mean this one?...........

Lincoln_Futura_B.jpg

You've probably got this kit.........

revell-lincolnfutura.JPG

It was reissued some years ago-----(don't remember the year), and yes, it was the basis for the 1966 Batmobile.

The car was actually the 1955 Lincoln Futura dream car which Ford built to preview some styling cues coming for 1957.

The kit should be fairly common as it was a reissue..........I don't think I've ever seen one built up though! :unsure:

I believe this is a gennie from 1956. It came out of a trunk that had been packed in 1952 by my dad.

I believe this is a gennie from 1956. It came out of a trunk that had been packed in 1952 by my dad. I took a few pics of it, and thats the animal. Is this a rare kit as an original? It is assembled and there is no box, Thanks for the info, this looks like a cool site, will make it a fav....I tried to upload 2 pics, but it looks like it didn't take....

I believe this is a gennie from 1956. It came out of a trunk that had been packed in 1952 by my dad. I took a few pics of it, and thats the animal. Is this a rare kit as an original? It is assembled and there is no box, Thanks for the info, this looks like a cool site, will make it a fav....I tried to upload 2 pics, but it looks like it didn't take....

post-3170-1216260462_thumb.jpg

post-3170-1216260587_thumb.jpg

post-3170-1216260615_thumb.jpg

Looking at your treasure, I would have to say you have inherited an original !!! Up until Revell re-released the Pontiac Club De Mer and the Lincoln Futtura around 1994 in their Selected series Program, I would say an unbuilt original could go gor 300.00 Now yours is a built original. I'm not putting a price on it as I don't know how well it's built or how good a condition it is either. If you had the box, It would have made a BIG difference as the original box was a somewhat flat box much like the first re-issue with ONE EXCEPTION, the original had the A M T logo beside the Revell logo on the box. It would also say copyright 1956 on the side. Thankfully , the folks at Revell made every effort possible to give the kit back to us including the "Mint-Green" plastic. The real car was painted in a Blue-green metallic according to a friend who spent years tracing the cars whereabouts and was in on the deal where the car was rescued from a storage facility in Burbank California by George Barris. The car had been painted an orange red for the Movie It Started with a Kiss staring Debbie Reynolds . The car is prominent in the movie even though I've not seen the movie in years . Barris only had maybe a month to do the Bat-mobile and thats why it still looked so much like the Futura .Still You might want to know that there were four Fiberglass copies made using Ford engines and frames. My friend here in Richmond talked of building a copy for himself as he was in on the Fiberglass copies back in the 60's. The last time we spoke, he was talking about doing a Monkee Mobile copy. Still, he did build a running copy of the 54 Corvette Nomad wagon! Ed Shaver

Looking at your treasure, I would have to say you have inherited an original !!! Up until Revell re-released the Pontiac Club De Mer and the Lincoln Futtura around 1994 in their Selected series Program, I would say an unbuilt original could go gor 300.00 Now yours is a built original. I'm not putting a price on it as I don't know how well it's built or how good a condition it is either. If you had the box, It would have made a BIG difference as the original box was a somewhat flat box much like the first re-issue with ONE EXCEPTION, the original had the A M T logo beside the Revell logo on the box. It would also say copyright 1956 on the side. Thankfully , the folks at Revell made every effort possible to give the kit back to us including the "Mint-Green" plastic. The real car was painted in a Blue-green metallic according to a friend who spent years tracing the cars whereabouts and was in on the deal where the car was rescued from a storage facility in Burbank California by George Barris. The car had been painted an orange red for the Movie It Started with a Kiss staring Debbie Reynolds . The car is prominent in the movie even though I've not seen the movie in years . Barris only had maybe a month to do the Bat-mobile and thats why it still looked so much like the Futura .Still You might want to know that there were four Fiberglass copies made using Ford engines and frames. My friend here in Richmond talked of building a copy for himself as he was in on the Fiberglass copies back in the 60's. The last time we spoke, he was talking about doing a Monkee Mobile copy. Still, he did build a running copy of the 54 Corvette Nomad wagon! Ed Shaver

Thanks for the info, on the bottom of the floorpan there is a Revell 1956 casting. It seems to be in very good shape, not any fading of the colored plastic and the clear plastic is very well...clear. The trunk it was stored in did it well. Thanks again for the info....

Man thats slick for being as old as ya believe it is I hope ya don't plan on touching it. Leave it original grab a new one if ya want to build one up I got mine about 2 years ago

HPIM1003.jpg

These cars aren't as scary as some folks say they are to build

I don't plan on touching it, gonna get a few more pics, of all of the models I inherited that is the one I might keep...