Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fully detailed Pagani Huayra..Under Glass

Dann Tier

This is a Super Cool build with all the latches and reconfiguring of mounting points etc to create the kit it should of been. I wonder if Aoshima has stoped production of this kit. Because I order one like 3 months ago and it still hasen’t Come, so I’m just going to buy one off a friend cause he has 5 of them. I,m 1/4 of the way there because I have the photo etch! 

8 hours ago, Jason Sheer said:

This is a Super Cool build with all the latches and reconfiguring of mounting points etc to create the kit it should of been. I wonder if Aoshima has stoped production of this kit. Because I order one like 3 months ago and it still hasen’t Come, so I’m just going to buy one off a friend cause he has 5 of them. I,m 1/4 of the way there because I have the photo etch! 

Thanks, Jason!, I don't think they stopped production of it.....did you order your kit through a hobby shop?....I tried to support our local hobby shop, until a year after I ordered mine through them, so I decided to just get it from Hobby Link...….got it in like ten days. The photo-etch set is very nice, other than having Zonda pedals. I hope your build goes great!!

Here are a couple of parts that I forgot to post.....looking at the rear corners of the cowl, you can see where I added the brackets for the micro magnets. If you look closely, you can also see that I ground-away the rear positioning points of the fender-wells, so that you can still slide them into place.

DSCF5964.JPG

DSCF5965.JPG

DSCF5966.JPG

DSCF5967.JPG

Yeah,  it was from my local Hobby Shop! They usually get stuff super fast and have a ton of Aoshima Lamborghini’s ( all the crazy new ones.) I don’t know what the hold-up is but I might have 2 of them by the end of it because I definitely want to build this one this Summer or fall!! With all the problems you improved, the base kit still looks good! It not model building if there’s not some sort of puzzle to solve! 

1 hour ago, Jason Sheer said:

Yeah,  it was from my local Hobby Shop! They usually get stuff super fast and have a ton of Aoshima Lamborghini’s ( all the crazy new ones.) I don’t know what the hold-up is but I might have 2 of them by the end of it because I definitely want to build this one this Summer or fall!! With all the problems you improved, the base kit still looks good! It not model building if there’s not some sort of puzzle to solve! 

And LHS wonder why people go to internet shopping.....

I have not seen anything you build Dann, so i am glad i happened upon this build.

Your eye for detailing and painting is amazing, along with your scratch building too, some of the best work i have seen.

That interior is mind blowing... really !!!   VERY impressive work Dann, i will tune in again after seeing this masterpiece in the making.

Edited by DeeCee

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I have not seen anything you build Dann, so i am glad i happened upon this build.

Your eye for detailing and painting is amazing, along with your scratch building too, some of the best work i have seen.

That interior is mind blowing... really !!!   VERY impressive work Dann, i will tune in again after seeing this masterpiece in the making.

Thanks, Dale!...much appreciated!!...do you mean that you haven't seen me post in this "Work bench" section?...if so, this is the first time that I am doing it, LOL,  people really needed help figuring-out this Pagani mess, and I knew how to help.....Thanks for tunning-in!!

Great work Dann!  I just read all your posts on this entire thread.  I think I have a good idea (even though I am new to all this) of everything you have done except how do you mask and paint all that fine detail work like on your dash and doors.  For instance the round leather piece on the center of the steering wheel.. how did you perfectly mask and paint that or the silver parts on the doors, etc.  Small detail painting is my biggest struggle.  Thanks for sharing your work.

28 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Great work Dann!  I just read all your posts on this entire thread.  I think I have a good idea (even though I am new to all this) of everything you have done except how do you mask and paint all that fine detail work like on your dash and doors.  For instance the round leather piece on the center of the steering wheel.. how did you perfectly mask and paint that or the silver parts on the doors, etc.  Small detail painting is my biggest struggle.  Thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks, Chris!,  I always start out making a template with Tamiya tape, or their sheet of masking film, then I transfer it to a 3x5 card, and cut it out so that I can save it incase I want to build another one some day. I try to make my masking templates when the parts are still bare plastic, that way theres no way to screw up the paint. For the center of the steering wheel, I tried both ways of masking it; mask off the polished aluminum to paint the colored center, and masked off the colored center to spray the aluminum. Cutting out a round mask was WAAAAAY easier than masking around the center.....there wasn't enough of the edge to seal with the tape, so it bled through.

41 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

I find that if I have to detail paint, I will use my other fingers of my painting hand to steady myself as I paint, either touching them to my other hand, the part i'm painting, or lower the part to the table, and touch it while painting. Hope you understand this, and it helps!

3 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

I find that if I have to detail paint, I will use my other fingers of my painting hand to steady myself as I paint, either touching them to my other hand, the part i'm painting, or lower the part to the table, and touch it while painting. Hope you understand this, and it helps!

Thanks for the explanation Dann.. I do understand this but the post before I am not understanding if you transfer your used mask to cardboard or if you make the template in cardboard first and then transfer it back to Tamiya tape?  Whatever you do it works perfectly B)

5 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Thanks for the explanation Dann.. I do understand this but the post before I am not understanding if you transfer your used mask to cardboard or if you make the template in cardboard first and then transfer it back to Tamiya tape?  Whatever you do it works perfectly B)

LOL, I use the tape directly on the part, form it to the proper shape....burnishing it down, cut it out carefully, then stick it to a 3x5 card. cut the shape out again, trace it on a fresh piece of masking tape/ film, cut it out, then put it in place and spray your kolor…..hope its better to understand now...lol

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

LOL, I use the tape directly on the part, form it to the proper shape....burnishing it down, cut it out carefully, then stick it to a 3x5 card. cut the shape out again, trace it on a fresh piece of masking tape/ film, cut it out, then put it in place and spray your kolor…..hope its better to understand now...lol

I understand now and that is what I thought but wanted to be sure.  Thanks again for sharing your tips and work

5 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

... failure and disappointment.

Actually I've had 2 kits in the pipeline forever and will post them in the workbench section soon.

Sorry to hear that....stick with it, bud!!….we ALL have that happen, if someone denies it......they're a freaking LIAR. Looking forward to seeing your work again!!

• Dann Tier changed the title to building a fully detailed Pagani Huayra- As requested; step by step SB door catches

Hey, everyone! as requested from a few of you, here are the steps that I take to scratchbuild my door catches....I hope this helps!

-First photo; I picked out the thinnest sheet of styrene they make, and measured out the size it had to be, by using the kleaned-out opening of the molded in ones.

-Second photo; I notched-out the basic shape.

-Third photo; I kleaned it up, and using tweezers, I rounded the corners of the base.

-Fourth photo; I got the thinnest styrene rod I had (Sorry, I cant remember the size ), and got my spring steel glue/ paint dot application tool.

-Fifth photo; The rod is easily bent without breaking. I would suggest going just pass a right angle, since it will slowly start to straighten back out again.

-Sixth photo; Cut one end of the rod as close to the bend as possible leaving a gap about the same width as the diameter of the rod being used, and then cut the long end off at the last pencil mark furthest from the top of the rounded bracket base.

-Seventh photo; At the same pencil line from photo six, I used my tool again to bend the bracket over....I bent it til it touched itself around the tool ( should be at a right angle at this point ).

-Eighth photo; Very carefully, glue the curved end of the rod in the center of the top edge of the bracket. I would suggest using a quick drying superglue. After its dried, adjust the long end of the rod so that when you bend the flat tail of the bracket up to meet the rod, it just up slightly past a right angle. I use my very sharp snippers to make the adjustment to the rod if needed.

-Ninth photo; I braced mine up against a sanding stick so that I could cut off the excess plastic up against the end of the rod.

-Tenth photo; Using my blade, I carefully cut away the rest of the excess plastic to match the curve of the rod.

-Eleventh photo; I lightly sanded the bottom of the catch til it was smooth with the curve of the rod.

-Twelfth photo; Notice the slight angle of the tail of the catch that was previously mentioned.

-Thirteenth photo; The finished product!!…..where the black ink dots are, is where I would glue my PE bolts.

DSCF5968.JPG

DSCF5969.JPG

DSCF5970.JPG

DSCF5972.JPG

DSCF5973.JPG

DSCF5974.JPG

DSCF5975.JPG

DSCF5978.JPG

DSCF5977.JPG

DSCF5979.JPG

DSCF5980.JPG

DSCF5981.JPG

DSCF5982.JPG

On 5/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, Dann Tier said:

I tried to build one as soon as they were available, so I ordered mine from a local hobby shop....you know, to support them, but after a year went by with no call, I ordered my own, and got it from Japan in a week!....and they wonder why people are doing online sales........?

They wonder indeed.

12 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

...and got my spring steel glue/ paint dot application tool.

DSCF5972.JPG

Hi Dann. Pardon my ignorance, but what's the deal with this tool? Is it just a piece of wire on a handle, or a hypodermic type tube? What type of glue works with it and how do you use it?

Thanks, Greg.

Edited by NOBLNG

• Dann Tier changed the title to Fully detailed Pagani Huayra..Under Glass